January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm
Ah yeah. Fair enough.
Also puts paid to the "we got all our targets" thing from summer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:39 pm
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:34 pm
Ah yeah. Fair enough.
Also puts paid to the "we got all our targets" thing from summer.
Evatt said that. So one of the things can’t be true. Of course the player they missed out on isn’t necessarily a top target. Who knows.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:44 pm
Evatt said that. So one of the things can’t be true. Of course the player they missed out on isn’t necessarily a top target. Who knows.
Yes, he did. What I'm saying is he says a lot of things that are designed to "big up" his players, rather than just saying things as they are.

Fairly normal managerial bollocks.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:28 pm

Evatt on (we are fairly sure) Dempsey and Bodvarsson
Yeah, if we can get those two over the line I think I'll be really happy with what we've got.
So it looks like it's a case of those and done, unless the situation changes or we move someone on. You'd have to imagine that means Darcy getting a chance in the squad, rather than being loaned out again.

I'd be interested to hear how people would feel we look if that's all the business we do in the window.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:39 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 10:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Yes, he did. What I'm saying is he says a lot of things that are designed to "big up" his players, rather than just saying things as they are.

I could have sworn he as much as admitted this, just this week. Something about "I'll say things to boost their confidence" or similar. Can't find it though.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm

I wouldn’t be overjoyed at the fact we would have failed to bring in any defensive reinforcements (bar Fossey who isn’t much of a defender on showings so far). Would still be a good window overall - I think Morley and Charles will prove to be brilliant signings and if we add Dempsey to that it’ll be some top work by the recruitment team.

Having said that, having Jones back is like having a new signing and I think he’ll be massive for defensive solidity and organisation.

All eyes on Gillingham’s line up announcement tomorrow at 2pm to see if Dempsey’s in the match day squad 👀
Last edited by brommers95 on Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:42 pm

Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:39 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I could have sworn he as much as admitted this, just this week. Something about "I'll say things to boost their confidence" or similar. Can't find it though.
Yes I remember reading something along those lines as well. No idea what BEN article it was on though.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm
I wouldn’t be overjoyed at the fact we would have failed to bring in any defensive reinforcements (bar Fossey who isn’t much of a defender on showings so far). Would still be a good window overall - I think Morley and Charles will prove to be brilliant signings and if we add Dempsey to that it’ll be some top work by the recruitment team.

Having said that, having Jones back is like having a new signing and I think he’ll be massive for defensive solidity and organisation.

All eyes on Gillingham’s line up announcement tomorrow at 2pm to see if Dempsey’s in the match day squad 👀
I'm in a similar position, but I have serious concerns that 4 of our signings (assuming we get the two mooted) are not players ready to immediately hit 100%.

It's the nature of the beast with our budgets, but Charles, Fossey, Dempsey and Bodvarsson all present us with issues related to game time and fitness. The two who look like they should be fully match fit are young players.

In terms of "we need impact signings", it's hard to see how that marries together.

I think we are running the risk of more injuries rolling in as we try to get these lads up to speed.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:52 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jan 14, 2022 11:41 pm

I'm in a similar position, but I have serious concerns that 4 of our signings (assuming we get the two mooted) are not players ready to immediately hit 100%.

It's the nature of the beast with our budgets, but Charles, Fossey, Dempsey and Bodvarsson all present us with issues related to game time and fitness. The two who look like they should be fully match fit are young players.

In terms of "we need impact signings", it's hard to see how that marries together.

I think we are running the risk of more injuries rolling in as we try to get these lads up to speed.
With finite resources, we simply won't get everything we need. Not sure another two's enough, though. Seems to suggest we won't be chasing both Dempsey and Shipley. (Not to mention not getting a centre-back, which isn't a surprise, or defensive midfielder, which might bite us badly in the ass.)

Then again, Evatt says a lot of things. And 18 months in, we're getting to the point where they're starting to contradict one another. Only a few days since he said he wanted two more up top, so does that include Dempsey as a 10?

Still half the window left yet. Maybe attention will now shift to clearing some of the lesser players – by Evatt's post-Wycombe admission ("We have a competitive 14 or 15 but it really does need layering to add more competitiveness. When you get the injuries we have it shows the level really drops off and we’re relying on players who are not really ready for the level") - and if some of the bigger earners like Delf and Baps could be shifted, loanees might appear.

If we assume the "two" are Dempsey and Makepea- sorry, Bodvarsson, then IMO that leaves us numerically light at LB and DM. I'd like a centre-back upgrade too, but as I say, I'm greedy and resource is finite.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:24 am

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:11 am
With finite resources, we simply won't get everything we need. Not sure another two's enough, though. Seems to suggest we won't be chasing both Dempsey and Shipley. (Not to mention not getting a centre-back, which isn't a surprise, or defensive midfielder, which might bite us badly in the ass.)

Then again, Evatt says a lot of things. And 18 months in, we're getting to the point where they're starting to contradict one another. Only a few days since he said he wanted two more up top, so does that include Dempsey as a 10?

Still half the window left yet. Maybe attention will now shift to clearing some of the lesser players – by Evatt's post-Wycombe admission ("We have a competitive 14 or 15 but it really does need layering to add more competitiveness. When you get the injuries we have it shows the level really drops off and we’re relying on players who are not really ready for the level") - and if some of the bigger earners like Delf and Baps could be shifted, loanees might appear.

If we assume the "two" are Dempsey and Makepea- sorry, Bodvarsson, then IMO that leaves us numerically light at LB and DM. I'd like a centre-back upgrade too, but as I say, I'm greedy and resource is finite.
Again, broad agreement here.

For all the talk of backing from the board (and it's true) we are quite rightly still looking at budget-friendly options here. With the injuries we have (whose wages we are still paying) it's hard to finance a full squad.

Poor recruitment and a suboptimal squad are two different things. I think the recruitment is quite impressive, but the squad has question marks over it for sure. I am less worried about the make-up than the chance of more injuries, but there are issues.

Biggest footballing issue, for me, is the bench. One or two injuries and we're back to having zero attacking impact in that area. Given the obvious injury risks we have, that's an issue.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:40 am

Lots of words. Bottom line is, if he wants to stop leaking goals from up front, time to execute on it.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:40 am
Lots of words. Bottom line is, if he wants to stop leaking goals from up front, time to execute on it.
Aye. I predicted 8th-16th so we are underperforming that broad swathe. Injuries have unarguably affected us but there has also IMO been managerial underachievement. That will hurt him after two successful seasons so let’s hope we have a second half that points us back upwards again.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 am

Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:52 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:40 am
Aye. I predicted 8th-16th so we are underperforming that broad swathe. Injuries have unarguably affected us but there has also IMO been managerial underachievement. That will hurt him after two successful seasons so let’s hope we have a second half that points us back upwards again.
That's a ballsy bet Barnetto... 93 Til infinity

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 am

I've just seen someone on Twitter complain that Bodvarsson lacks the raw pace of Kevin Davies.

I just can't anymore...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:59 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:57 am
I've just seen someone on Twitter complain that Bodvarsson lacks the raw pace of Kevin Davies.

I just can't anymore...
Fck me mate. Stay off Twitter if it upsets you.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:02 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:59 am
Hyperbole, Worthy. Slight exasperation, a lot of amusement.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:06 am

On the "defend from the front" thing, yes.

This is probably his first potential "career ender" of a window. He needs to get his big calls right.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:08 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:02 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:59 am
Hyperbole, Worthy. Slight exasperation, a lot of amusement.
Look. You can come here and get shitloads of intelligent debate....about that CD we need :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:11 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:08 am
Look. You can come here and get shitloads of intelligent debate....about that CD we need :-)
Oh, absolutely. Fillet steak football discourse here. Junk food on Twitter. Honest *halo*

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

ah, it’s in this morning’s BN story - I musta read it elsewhere.

“A lot of the things I say are for the benefit of the club and the players. The way we play, how brave you have to be, they need the self-belief and the air of arrogance and invincibility, and if I can help that with some of the press I do, I’m happy to take all the criticism in the world.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... statement/