January 2022 Transfer Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by brommers95 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:41 pm

As it’s almost December, I think it’s time for a January 2022 transfer thread.

The upcoming window should be a flurry of activity, as even before all the long-term injuries we were still in need of some decent reinforcements.

Here’s a summary of the current squad depth excluding those out on loan, with long term injured players in red. Basically signings needed from 1-11.

Screenshot 2021-11-26 at 13.20.05.png
Screenshot 2021-11-26 at 13.20.05.png (54.92 KiB) Viewed 10531 times

I’ve also collated some select names from those mentioned in the old thread over the past month or so by DSB and Ghost. If we sign one of these guys we have to do a shot or something.

Screenshot 2021-11-26 at 10.38.01.png
Screenshot 2021-11-26 at 10.38.01.png (87.61 KiB) Viewed 10531 times

...and I’ve chucked in a few more names to the above list as well:

Luke Bolton - Man City RW/RB, 22

Tyler Walker - Coventry ST, 25

William Hondermarck - Barnsley CM, 21
Born in France, raised in Ireland. Started playing for Drogheda United in the Irish Premier Division at the age of 17, before joining Norwich's academy in January 2019. Released by The Canaries this summer, he then joined Barnsley in September after a successful trial. Has only played 165 minutes in the Championship so far this season, but has looked good and Barnsley fans are wondering why he hasn't been involved more.

Might get more of a look in under new gaffer Poya Asbaghi but if he doesn't, he'd be somebody that could add some much needed physicality (he's 6'4) to our midfield. Predominantly a CM but also started at RCB in a 3 at the back against Middlesbrough in October and performed admirably by all accounts, so seems like a versatile player.

Looks like there’ll be some money to spend (whether that be on more wages or some transfer fees remains to be seen):

Evatt 23rd October
"We’re always looking at improving this team, so obviously there will be money available in January to go and recruit who we need to.”
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... departure/

and again on the 23rd November
“It will still be permanent transfers. As I said before, Sharon and the board are magnificent and have never said no to anything I’ve asked for, not once. If I go to them and ask for things, I have no doubt that they would do it – they want what’s best for me and the football club.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... s-january/

Wanderers seem to run a tight ship these days and rumours are pretty thin on the ground which is good, but we might see a few names bandied about in the upcoming weeks.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: January 2022 Transfer Thread

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm

Amaechi is still currently due to return to Germany, isn't he? I know Iles said we have asked for an extension, but I've not seen any confirmation of him staying. If he goes back that's another issue for Jan.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:48 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 1:46 pm
Amaechi is still currently due to return to Germany, isn't he? I know Iles said we have asked for an extension, but I've not seen any confirmation of him staying. If he goes back that's another issue for Jan.
Yes he is, completely forgot about that.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 26, 2021 2:17 pm

There will be a balance to be struck between digging us out of this hole and not overdoing it.

We wanted three in initially: right back, midfielder and forward.

We probably now need another mid and another forward at the minimum.

I think Gordon has earned himself a lot of good will in terms of people wanting him out in January.

We need a mid who can break the lines from deep and another who can offer goals and creativity in attack. We also need a proper, Championship striker if Evatt wants to push for promotion (people will moan about realism, but it's clearly what he wants).

Darcy and Politic will have to be looked at as options for squad depth, you'd think. Darcy at least is likely to get time on the pitch.

Biggest issue we will have is that we play a heavily coached system. It's patterns, drills, shape, triggers etc...new lads always take time to adapt to it. So it's not like we hit January 1st and we are saved. It'll take time to do business, especially with clubs knowing we are desperate and it'll then it'll take time for the new players to get to 100% - with the caveat that individual quality carries you through a lot of issues, as it did with Jan last season.

If we see more than the obvious 5 come in it'll mean some leave, you'd imagine. Should be a good thread, this.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Frantzdy Pierrot's agent is looking for an English club for him. Big, powerful, quick centre forward currently playing in Ligue 2 in France for Guingamp - a club at risk of relegation. Technically sound. Haiti international.

We're one of the clubs that has been mentioned as "suitable", but not sure that means anything. He'd command a fee, as he's under contract to 2023.

He'd be an excellent signing, but it's just agent talk at the minute and I don't know if we are even interested.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 pm
Frantzdy Pierrot's agent is looking for an English club for him. Big, powerful, quick centre forward currently playing in Ligue 2 in France for Guingamp - a club at risk of relegation. Technically sound. Haiti international.

We're one of the clubs that has been mentioned as "suitable", but not sure that means anything. He'd command a fee, as he's under contract to 2023.

He'd be an excellent signing, but it's just agent talk at the minute and I don't know if we are even interested.
Can we sign him post Brexit? Would he meet those immigration rules? Haven’t looked too closely recently just a question?

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:51 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:16 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 pm

Can we sign him post Brexit? Would he meet those immigration rules? Haven’t looked too closely recently just a question?
As long as he says he's an HGV driver he'll be reet

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:54 am

I've noticed the No. 28 from yesterday is out of contract in January. I'd need to see more of him but if his performance yesterday is his standard he might be worth looking at.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:44 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 9:54 am
I've noticed the No. 28 from yesterday is out of contract in January. I'd need to see more of him but if his performance yesterday is his standard he might be worth looking at.
Seems likely we’ll at least consider him, but I’m sure he’s not going to be short on offers.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:16 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 10:44 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Seems likely we’ll at least consider him, but I’m sure he’s not going to be short on offers.
Aye, he had a very good game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:30 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
His name's Dan Crowley and he's only 24. Here's all about him:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dan-cro ... ler/223225
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:25 pm

Linked with buying Cole Stockton now, be ruing not going after him in the summer if we have to pay a fee.

https://t.co/bR0EoSju3H
Last edited by officer_dibble on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:29 pm

Stockton is contracted until 2023, so Morecambe could reasonably demand a decent fee - probably £1m. Can’t see it at all.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:30 pm

Ah that’s interesting - I had assumed his contract would be up in the summer, Morecambe had.l a 12 month deal policy previously.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:55 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:30 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
His name's Dan Crowley and he's only 24. Here's all about him:

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/dan-cro ... ler/223225
Good enough to be poached by Arsenal (from Villa) at 15 on Wenger's personal insistence. Played a couple of seasons in Holland (an Evatt-pleaser) before Birmingham signed him for £700k. They loaned him to Hull, where he won the league, then released him; he had trials at Cheltenham and Gillingham over summer. In all he's played 47 tier-three, 41 tier-two and 61 Dutch top-flight games.

One thing to note is that he hasn't completed 90 minutes in the third tier since 2016, when he was on loan at Oxford from Arsenal. He appeared in 22 of a possible 25 league games during his Jan-Jun loan at Hull earlier this year, but only six were starts and he didn't finish any of those. Cheltenham have started him seven league games and subbed him in all of them. Fitness? "Seeing the game out"?

But what does he do when he's on? Well, the following averages from WhoScored are per 90 minutes rather than per game. He averages 38.2 passes per game – more than Sheehan (34) and Sarce (33.8) but fewer than MJ (44.3) and all the recent members of our back four/five in our possession-hungry team; if Crowley's playing at 10 he'll see less ball than our back lads.

Once on the ball, he's very tidy - 89.3% pass accuracy, comparing well with our top lad Sheehan's 87.1% – but averages a Cheltenham-topping 2.1 key passes per game (ie those creating a chance - an assist if converted; our top lads are Brocky 2, Tomo 1.8, Dapo 1.7).

He also averages 1.1 tackles per game, same as Sheehan and Lee (Tomo averages 2, MJ & Sarce 1.4), plus 0.4 interceptions (MJ 0.8, Sheehan & Sarce 0.6, Lee 0.4).

So, from a quick look at those numbers, I'd say he's worth considering - or at least a deeper look from Brommers...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:25 pm
Linked with buying Cole Stockton now, be ruing not going after him in the summer if we have to pay a fee.

We tried to sign him in the summer. 100%. Whether he turned us down or it was down to money I wonder if this is just a hold over story from then or whether there is genuinely a fresh effort to sign him?

Obviously the sort we need he’s had a superb season. Holds it up well. Be delighted with him though was underwhelmed in the summer with the idea.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:55 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

We tried to sign him in the summer. 100%. Whether he turned us down or it was down to money I wonder if this is just a hold over story from then or whether there is genuinely a fresh effort to sign him?

Obviously the sort we need he’s had a superb season. Holds it up well. Be delighted with him though was underwhelmed in the summer with the idea.
It might be agent talk. Lad's doing surprisingly well but I'd be underwhelmed if we signed him. At ours last season he was the slowest striker I've seen since Trevor Morgan. That would allow teams to push right up and condense space - unless our brains trust has some other idea (high width?) to avert that.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Nixon has been tweeting that we're in for him this morning, for what that's worth.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Nixon has been tweeting that we're in for him this morning, for what that's worth.
The story in the link is regurgitated from the Sun on Sunday so I assume it's a Nixon story.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Nov 28, 2021 3:10 pm

Why would Morecambe sell to a divisional rival half way through the season for anything less than £1m? They’d be weakening themselves and increasing their risk of relegation.

On our end, why would we pay a fee of that size for a player who’ll be 28 in March? Wouldn’t fit at all with our sustainable ethos.