Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma'am! - Accrington Away - Saturday 11th Dec 2021 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma'am! - Accrington Away - Saturday 11th Dec 2021 @ 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:39 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 5:17 pm
Finally realizing why we are so bad on set plays. We are too lightweight and weak to contest. The 2nd half showed me that today. We lost just about every header we contested, and also every 50/50 balls. Our attempts to win the ball is feeble. Hope Evatt brings in more players with guts who can look the opposition in the eyes and can tackle. Are there any such players who can do so and yet play the way he wants? We desperately need some.

Liked the look of Senior. Not that he was great but held his own and was probably our best defender. The rest of the team looked tired n the 2nd half. After 15 mins, they were running on empty.
Saved me writing anything. Spot on I.C,B. Only one stat matters for us and that's the score after 90 minutes. Wake up, we're losing every game because we're getting bullied and we have no answer. Forget big names in January, get some hard lads in who want to win. Welly and Head Tennis is Sunday Pub League stuff.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma'am! - Accrington Away - Saturday 11th Dec 2021 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:40 pm

Once a manager starts criticising the supporters it only ends one way, especially following some absolutely bullshit comments from the manager himself i.e. a month or so ago it was his 'we are the best team in the league' comment which has now been superseded by "People have got very short memories is what I’ll say because this time last year, we were beat 6-3 to Port Vale, we were 20th in League Two".

Which is it ? its not just the players who can't cope with the fans criticism its also Evatt who can't deal with it. He's another manager who blames everything & everybody else apart from himself. Evatt has one hell of an ego, he himself thinks that tactically he's another Pep Guardiola however in reality he's probably more aligned to Mike Bassett.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:46 pm

At the moment he looks like Owen Coyle 2.
He’s getting january but if he feck* it up we’re down.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:48 pm

He really does just set himself up. No football fans can ever stand to see their team bullied.
I've said a number of times that he won't be here next season and I'm still thinking that way. I think it can go very nasty very quickly and he's an oversensitive baby.
If he keeps his mouth shut the majority will back him but I can't see him doing it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:46 pm
At the moment he looks like Owen Coyle 2.
He’s getting january but if he feck* it up we’re down.
I really don't think we will. We have shown we can pick off the low hanging fruit and I think we will flat track bully our way to enough home points. If he doesn't address the glaring issues in January though I'll be done with him.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:04 pm

The majority of players today (and the overall squad) are Evatt signings & he himself said when speaking about recruitment was that 'they looked at the character of any player and not just ability when they looked at recruits' - where is this said character ? as these are mainly if not all Evatt signings.

As I said he's another egotistical & arrogant BWFC manager who blames everything & everyone apart from himself and anyone who disagrees with him knows nothing, and fans who criticise should be grateful for what he's done for us i.e. getting promoted from League 2 despite having by far the best squad in the league last year.

Our wage bill & overall budget will be way more than the likes of Fleetwood & Accrington yet we can't get anywhere near them in terms of team spirit, fight, organisation, will to win etc. but it won't be Evatt's fault it'll be the fans fault for not allowing him 3 or 4 years & 6 or 7 transfer windows to get a team to compete with Fleetwood & Accrington, never mind be better than them.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 11, 2021 9:02 pm

I think Evatt is a decent ( if stubborn) manager at heart, but he surely must know that the fans are not being unfair. Manager of the month looked good while we were winning and earning him the title, but he's wearing false feathers now. That isn't just due to failure, but his inability (or refusal) to see we're doing it wrong. Injuries, Covid and lack of form have hit us hard, but we can't even earn a draw and a point against sides we should be taking all three off. Opposition defences hound us like packs of hyenas all game, whilst we retreat and all too often lose out on pace ever time we're attacked.
They all know how to beat Bolton Wanderers now .Referees never help us, it's a fact, but we have to stop leaking goals and fighting up hill after fifteen minues.

Get wise Mr Evatt and admit you got it wrong.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 am

A bit bored of hearing about how ‘this time last year’ we were losing 6-3 to port vale. Is that his proudest moment in football or something?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:11 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:21 am
A bit bored of hearing about how ‘this time last year’ we were losing 6-3 to port vale. Is that his proudest moment in football or something?
It's worth pointing out to him that he was in charge for that shambles as well and had been coaching the team for a while. There were mitigating factors, as there are now, but none of them justify such a horrendous capitulation.
He goes on like he had nothing to do with it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:11 am
officer_dibble wrote:
It's worth pointing out to him that he was in charge for that shambles as well and had been coaching the team for a while. There were mitigating factors, as there are now, but none of them justify such a horrendous capitulation.
This for me. His comments don’t do him the favours he seems to believe. The problems lie in his inability to accept that his own dogma is why we are struggling. Or a significant part of it.

In January there are basic requirements. We need physical monsters - not footballers. If he signs a bunch of footballers again and we still are bullied week in week out then that’s it for me.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 am
LeverEnd wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:
This for me. His comments don’t do him the favours he seems to believe. The problems lie in his inability to accept that his own dogma is why we are struggling. Or a significant part of it.

In January there are basic requirements. We need physical monsters - not footballers. If he signs a bunch of footballers again and we still are bullied week in week out then that’s it for me.
Not sure it's that clear cut, Insano...do we need some "physicality/presence?" Yup. But I'm not unhappy if they know where to kick it, too...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:23 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:19 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:14 am
LeverEnd wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

Not sure it's that clear cut, Insano...do we need some "physicality/presence?" Yup. But I'm not unhappy if they know where to kick it, too...
Sure. But the presence is the basic requirement. Some Wheaters needed not fancy dans.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:28 am

We’re not going to sign ‘physical monsters’ who can’t play football though, are we? It’s clearly not a case of one or the other, either.

I don’t doubt we need to bring players in with some different characteristics, but for me that would include pace, combativeness, crossing ability and finishing, not just height.

The idea that bringing in big, grizzled veterans is the only solution is overly simplistic, and also not realistic.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 am

I'll see if I can rustle up a few rugby union players for you, Inaneo, we have a few hefty blokes spare at the moment. :wink:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:28 am
We’re not going to sign ‘physical monsters’ who can’t play football though, are we? It’s clearly not a case of one or the other, either.

I don’t doubt we need to bring players in with some different characteristics, but for me that would include pace, combativeness, crossing ability and finishing, not just height.

The idea that bringing in big, grizzled veterans is the only solution is overly simplistic, and also not realistic.

I think it's generally taken as read that they'd be capable enough footballers as well, isn't it?

Clearly, physicality isn't the sole characteristic we should be looking for in a new signing but I think it's pretty much a necessary one. The two best teams we've played this season (Rotherham United, Wigan Athletic) were both physically stronger and taller than ours, notably so in my opinion.

There's a good argument to be made that that extra power is the difference between success in this league and success in the league below.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:56 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:44 am
The_Gun wrote:

I think it's generally taken as read that they'd be capable enough footballers as well, isn't it?

Clearly, physicality isn't the sole characteristic we should be looking for in a new signing but I think it's pretty much a necessary one. The two best teams we've played this season (Rotherham United, Wigan Athletic) were both physically stronger and taller than ours, notably so in my opinion.

There's a good argument to be made that that extra power is the difference between success in this league and success in the league below.
Insano literally just said we need to sign physical monsters, not footballers.

I don’t think this stuff is ever as black and white as people are suggesting. N’Golo Kante is the best defensive midfielder in the world and one of the best of all time - he’s 5’6.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:59 am

Dujon wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:29 am
I'll see if I can rustle up a few rugby union players for you, Inaneo, we have a few hefty blokes spare at the moment. :wink:
Aye, we'll take em Dujon. All they need to be is six feet three or four, hard as nails, able to sprint like Usain Bolt and with a basic knowledge of football. Oh. and cheap as chips.. :grin:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:24 am

I would expect some specimens to arrive but I'd be surprised if they can't also kick straight. Passing ability is the baby we shouldn't throw out with the lack-of-physicality bathwater.

Said before that Evatt needs to shush up a bit. He's being naive. Darkly ironic if he suffered from attempting to defend himself by going on the attack.

I understand why folks are upset but in some ways yesterday wasn't as bad as I expected. Thought the first half was fairly even - we had the better chances, arguably - and we looked much more solid with MJ, even without Santos. Second half we just didn't have the gears to overcome their incessant timewasting.

Truth is they're an established tier-three team with a purpose-built squad and we're not, not yet. I imagine Evatt might regret some of his loyalty decisions in the summer – I know I do – and it really cannot be overlooked that we have had what was already a shallow squad, talent-wise, ravaged by reduction. The spine of that successful spring side was Gilks, Baptiste/Santos, MJ, Sarce, Doyle. Gilks has effectively retired. Baptiste should do. Sarce has gone. Doyle has stopped scoring and now stopped even looking like scoring. Santos is always going to be a bit of a risk and he's adjusting to the higher level. MJ was fine but then got injured.

December was always going to be hard but this is precisely what I meant when I asked if "people" would be happy with 18th. We're 15th and people are losing their shit. Again. I understand why and I don't deny people have the right to complain but we are probably going to lose more than we win this season.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:28 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:56 am
nicholaldo wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

I don’t think this stuff is ever as black and white as people are suggesting. N’Golo Kante is the best defensive midfielder in the world and one of the best of all time - he’s 5’6.

Yes, but you surely know what he means.

Kante is only small but the rest of his team isn't. That's where we fall short (if you'll excuse the pun).

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:43 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:28 am
The_Gun wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:56 am
nicholaldo wrote:
The_Gun wrote:

Yes, but you surely know what he means.

Kante is only small but the rest of his team isn't. That's where we fall short (if you'll excuse the pun).
Our players aren't physically small they are however mentally.

Dapo as an example when he doesn't get the free kick he believes he should what does he do?

If he got up and chased it down then it's a different story. Arms up blaming the ref isn't going to intimidate the opposition.

Have a look at players going in for 50/50s, they are almost wincing. Johnstone went in for a header yesterday with his eyes closed. Baptiste with the half arsed jump for their goal.

They have to own it.

2400 fans sat in an open stand with the rain pissing down on them. That is the dedication and passion that these lot need to understand and embrace. We are one.

If they can't get on board with it then they can do one.

Want to know what it means to play for this club then make them watch Senior's post match interview. The lad is beaming. That is what it means to play for this club. If you don't feel it then feck off.