Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma'am! - Accrington Away - Saturday 11th Dec 2021 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma'am! - Accrington Away - Saturday 11th Dec 2021 @ 3pm

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 12, 2021 11:51 am

I think Senior can be proud of himself for yesterday. I also think Thomason, whole not yet there, is growing into a battler. He was flying into tackles, pushing people away at throw-ins and at one point I'm sure he trod on someone deliberately. Certainly putting himself around a bit more.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wham! Bam! Thank You Ma'am! - Accrington Away - Saturday 11th Dec 2021 @ 3pm

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:15 pm

Our team is weak and small. Nobody is suggesting we sign a load of massive but useless players. But we need a Faye and a Wheater. They might not be the best on the ball but they can kick it sideways to others who are. We need to be physically combative because any side who outmuscles us tends to beat us. It isn’t a question for me. If we don’t sort that side we will continue to come up short against teams we shouldn’t be. And I think that is the point Evatt has questions to answer about his judgement.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:15 pm
Our team is weak and small. Nobody is suggesting we sign a load of massive but useless players. But we need a Faye and a Wheater. They might not be the best on the ball but they can kick it sideways to others who are. We need to be physically combative because any side who outmuscles us tends to beat us. It isn’t a question for me. If we don’t sort that side we will continue to come up short against teams we shouldn’t be. And I think that is the point Evatt has questions to answer about his judgement.
It seems to have become an either/or...either you can have players comfortable on the ball or you can have ones that tackle, like they're not both required to be a footballer. What a nonsense. I'm done with the excuse that paid footballers "can't tackle" because they have some sorta "higher purpose"...sounds like bullshitting Arsenal fans...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:29 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 12:15 pm
It seems to have become an either/or...either you can have players comfortable on the ball or you can have ones that tackle, like they're not both required to be a footballer. What a nonsense. I'm done with the excuse that paid footballers "can't tackle" because they have some sorta "higher purpose"...sounds like bullshitting Arsenal fans...
I mean if we look at Wigan and Rotherham most are physical specimens and most can play too. We want that. Whether in January we have to compromise a bit we need to balance out our deficiencies. I doubt we can sign better than Dapo or Xav realistically. But the base of the side is needing that physical presence.

It’s not either or but I guess Wheater would struggle with the possession at the back stuff. But I’d we need to we sacrifice some of that for the height and physicality and ability to defend. If we sign another Ream-lite like Johnston then than confirms Evatt is the problem in my view.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Be useful if we could actually not lose all our local derbies this year. We’re the joke of the north west.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:07 pm
Be useful if we could actually not lose all our local derbies this year. We’re the joke of the north west.
Come on now, Fleetwood and Accrington aren’t derbies. The defeats were shitter because we had lots of fans there, but we don’t have rivalries with those clubs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:21 pm

If it wasn't for the hapless Crellin, Dixon would, by some distance, be our worst keeper since Simon Farnworth. Having actually dived out of the way of Fleetwood's first, he was in no man's land for the Accrington goal yesterday. He's getting away with it because there are other positions of a greater priority and hardly a replacement option at the moment, but it really is about time that Evatt at least started to understand the significance of the position, not least the confidence a decent keeper inspires in defenders.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:32 pm

Dixon would be a reasonable no2. He's a decent shot stopper and pretty good at playing out from the back with his feet. He doesn't command his box though and rarely strays from his line, leaving most deep crosses to the centre backs to deal with.

I noticed Mark Howard was playing for Carlisle(?) yesterday. Someone solid and dependable like he was would be perfect. God alone knows if FV will be able or willing to stump up for the half a dozen new players that are probably needed.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sun Dec 12, 2021 3:57 pm

January will prove whether Evatt understands the problem which we all see, and fix it with his targets or sticks blindly to his philosophy of total football. Man City has Dias, Rodri, Fernandinho, Walker who will physically dominate you and compliment the ball payers. Evatt needs to understand that to compete and play the total football of his idol Pep, follow his example and get some players who will not shut their eyes, turn sideways or allow a ball to bounce in our 18 yard area when defending. Thats all we are asking for.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:32 pm
Dixon would be a reasonable no2. He's a decent shot stopper and pretty good at playing out from the back with his feet. He doesn't command his box though and rarely strays from his line, leaving most deep crosses to the centre backs to deal with.

I noticed Mark Howard was playing for Carlisle(?) yesterday. Someone solid and dependable like he was would be perfect. God alone knows if FV will be able or willing to stump up for the half a dozen new players that are probably needed.
I'm not sure Howard's that good. Was behind wheater and beevers in a very defensive team.
Dixon, Amos, Crel...(ok maybe not) all would have looked more solid with that brick wall in front of them.
If you play like we do, you really need a decent keeper to command his defence. Like Gilks did last year, but he can't any longer. An experienced loan keeper shouldn't be hard to find.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:29 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:48 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I'm not sure Howard's that good. Was behind wheater and beevers in a very defensive team.
Dixon, Amos, Crel...(ok maybe not) all would have looked more solid with that brick wall in front of them.
If you play like we do, you really need a decent keeper to command his defence. Like Gilks did last year, but he can't any longer. An experienced loan keeper shouldn't be hard to find.
Goalkeepers can be problematic to sign.

Clubs often hoard them, perhaps because they fear the potential of not having enough, so it may not be *that* easy to prise one away.

Many managers have blind spots for goalkeepers, and even the good ones can be more miss than hit. Wenger, for instance, struggled for years to replace David Seaman (who he inherited). In between Schmeichel and Van der Sar, Fergie had some absolute shockers - Taibi is the go-to laughing stock, but Barthez was also poor, and he kept trying with Bosnich. Pep hired the hapless Claudio Bravo before the very expensive Ederson. Klopp bought Loris Karius, who helped him lose a Champions League final, before he also paid large for Alisson, who helped him win one. It's early days but Evatt might be similar; the only three goalkeepers he's hired here are The Guy He Had At Barrow, The Guy He Played With At Blackpool and Some Crap Kid Recommended By The Guy He Played With At Blackpool.

Finally, we're after a prized combination of skillsets. While I fully, painfully, agree with LE's note that "if you play like we do, you really need a decent keeper to command his defence", I would add that to play Evattball, you really need a keeper who can use his feet. Dixon's calm in possession and has a reasonably accurate ping on him (he has decent long-pass success percentage), which helps us break the high press. (It's just a pity that his shot-saving percentage last year was in League Two's bottom six or so.) Right now, if we re-elevated Gilks and he just kicked long, we'd be watching Doyle lose headers and us lose possession, chasing tiring shadows from early in the game.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:31 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:29 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:48 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Goalkeepers can be problematic to sign.

Clubs often hoard them, perhaps because they fear the potential of not having enough, so it may not be *that* easy to prise one away.

Many managers have blind spots for goalkeepers, and even the good ones can be more miss than hit. Wenger, for instance, struggled for years to replace David Seaman (who he inherited). In between Schmeichel and Van der Sar, Fergie had some absolute shockers - Taibi is the go-to laughing stock, but Barthez was also poor, and he kept trying with Bosnich. Pep hired the hapless Claudio Bravo before the very expensive Ederson. Klopp bought Loris Karius, who helped him lose a Champions League final, before he also paid large for Alisson, who helped him win one. It's early days but Evatt might be similar; the only three goalkeepers he's hired here are The Guy He Had At Barrow, The Guy He Played With At Blackpool and Some Crap Kid Recommended By The Guy He Played With At Blackpool.

Finally, we're after a prized combination of skillsets. While I fully, painfully, agree with LE's note that "if you play like we do, you really need a decent keeper to command his defence", I would add that to play Evattball, you really need a keeper who can use his feet. Dixon's calm in possession and has a reasonably accurate ping on him (he has decent long-pass success percentage), which helps us break the high press. (It's just a pity that his shot-saving percentage last year was in League Two's bottom six or so.) Right now, if we re-elevated Gilks and he just kicked long, we'd be watching Doyle lose headers and us lose possession, chasing tiring shadows from early in the game.
Dixon is poor. If we wanted a sweeper he’d be average. But we want a goalkeeper. And he’s poor. I’m not sure how we can replace him - brining Gilks in from the cold seems unlikely. But I think Dixon is probably one of the weaker keepers in this league. Another who lacks presence in a position it’s sorely needed. He is good with his feet. But far far too slow to throw out and get things moving.

Absolutely a bad signing and one Id hope we improve on but will be summer not January I suspect.