Quo Vadis. Home V Wycombe Wanderers Sat 18-12-21 3'oclock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Quo Vadis. Home V Wycombe Wanderers Sat 18-12-21 3'oclock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:01 pm

Whither Goest Thou? Five days away, but time's flying and "Wanderers" was never more apt a name..do we have any idea where we're going? A famous painting is titled "The Wanderer above a sea of Fog." and aptly describes us right now. Can we find our way and get back on track starting Saturday against the "other" Wanderers?? Wycombe are fourth in the table, we are fifteenth; they have not lost in five, we have won one in our last five. The floor is yours... :Jedi:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Quo Vadis. Home V Wycombe Wanderers Sat 18-12-21 3'oclock.

Post by brommers95 » Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:59 pm

Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s postponed due to COVID cases as it seems to be spreading rapidly in society at the minute.

I don’t know what the protocol is now with regards to isolating and what-not but with our threadbare squad we can’t really afford many missing. I guess we’d have a strong case for a postponement if we have 2 or 3 test positive.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Dec 14, 2021 7:47 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Dec 13, 2021 10:59 pm
Wouldn’t surprise me if it’s postponed due to COVID cases as it seems to be spreading rapidly in society at the minute.

I don’t know what the protocol is now with regards to isolating and what-not but with our threadbare squad we can’t really afford many missing. I guess we’d have a strong case for a postponement if we have 2 or 3 test positive.
They are dropping like flies, and a lot of them are unvaccinated. Heard a team doctor on the radio saying some dressing rooms have become anti-vax echo chambers.
Having said that I'm laid up with it again and I've had it before and 2 vaccines. I think football will be in big trouble over the next 2-3 months.

Re the protocol, it's quite vague. Daily testing rather than isolation if you're a contact of a positive case. But only if you're double vaccinated and then not if you 'suspect' it might be omnicron. What you base those suspicions on I don't know.

Anyway if it goes ahead 7-6 Bolton in a 5 a side under that tent thingy. 😁

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:51 am

Aye there is some serious shit about to hit the fan. We’ve already seen drops in performance from Doyle and John as a result of covid, the daft bastards should be getting themselves vaccinated to protect their careers you would think? But then you only have to follow David Wheater on Twitter to see the mindset…!

Here’s one - if you were Evatt, desperate for new blood in January, would you risk signing unvaccinated players?
Last edited by officer_dibble on Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:56 am

We already have Aimson out with Covid. No idea how many more would trigger a postponement, or whether our relative threadbareness even counts. I assume Spurs weren’t down to 12 senior pros when they postponed a game, but it’s probably also different rules per comp.

I also wonder whether attendances will be hit. Not just ours, although a losing run doesn’t help, but anyone wavering over whether to go might think, y’know what, I don’t fancy catching plague before Christmas.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Quo Vadis. Home V Whickham Wanderers Sat 18-12-21 3'oclock.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:58 am

You need you vaxpass or proof of negative test this weekend as well. Be some that won’t like that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:58 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 8:51 am
Aye there is some serious shut about to hit the fan. We’ve already seen drops in performance from Doyle and John as a result of covid, the daft bastards should be getting themselves vaccinated to protect their careers you would think? But then you only have to follow David Wheater on Twitter to see the mindset…!

Here’s one - if you were Evatt, desperate for new blood in January, would you risk signing unvaccinated players?
Careful, Dibs - are we sure Doyler and John weren’t vaccinated? The jab/s might not stop you getting it, but will reduce its severity.

However, you raise a brilliant question re singing unvaccinated players. How long till an insurance company refuses to pay out in cover?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 am

To clarify I’m not saying they were not vaccinated. But both certainly took a while to get going after having it. It was confirmed with Doyle, not sure about John but I think I asked on here and someone responded saying he was recovering from it.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:10 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:00 am
To clarify I’m not saying they were not vaccinated. But both certainly took a while to get going after having it. It was confirmed with Doyle, not sure about John but I think I asked on here and someone responded saying he was recovering from it.
Doyle was apparently double vaccinated.

Seems as though vaccination rates are reasonably low amongst pro footballers generally, though. I wonder whether the authorities might start taking a tougher stance now, because a raft of postponements over the Christmas period would ruin the season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:16 am

Sorry, Dibs, I misread the sentence...

"We’ve already seen drops in performance from Doyle and John as a result of covid, the daft bastards should be getting themselves vaccinated to protect their careers you would think? "

...as meaning "the daft bastards" were Doyler & Dec (who may be blameless) rather than Footballers Generally (who are, as noted, often "sceptical").

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:30 am

Josh Kimmich (Bayern) is out till Jan with lung scarring after not getting jabbed.

I'd be doing everything I could to get them jabbed, and it would defo play a part in any decisions to sign someone.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:55 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:30 am
I'd be doing everything I could to get them jabbed, and it would defo play a part in any decisions to sign someone.
Aye, as would I. It's not just the possibility of New Player getting Covid and being unfit for purpose; it's not just the possibility of him infecting his team-mates with Covid. What if he's a strong personality - a leader, you might say - and he convinces a few of his team-mates to withdraw from getting the booster, and the subsequent boosters it looks like we're going to need for future variants?

But it's a huge, tricky question. I wonder if... let's be non-confrontational and call it scepticism... is higher among pro footballers than the general public. There are definitely divisions in society over vaccine uptake; social media weaponises difference, as does confrontation (you'll very rarely change someone's opinion by deriding them); and now we've got the narrative of "free will". It all adds to the difficulty of trying to sign a right-back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:06 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:16 am

"We’ve already seen drops in performance from Doyle and John as a result of covid, the daft bastards should be getting themselves vaccinated to protect their careers you would think? "

...as meaning "the daft bastards" were Doyler & Dec (who may be blameless) rather than Footballers Generally (who are, as noted, often "sceptical").
Yeah I meant the daft bastards as a complete generalization of all footballers 😂

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:26 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:06 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 9:16 am

Yeah I meant the daft bastards as a complete generalization of all footballers 😂
:mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:19 am

As if by magic

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:31 pm

On the assumption the game goes ahead, it's only a month ago since we lost 1-0 at their place; do we fancy our chances of overturning that defeat. On the surface it looks a tough task.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:58 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:31 pm
On the assumption the game goes ahead, it's only a month ago since we lost 1-0 at their place; do we fancy our chances of overturning that defeat. On the surface it looks a tough task.
That was their first win in a month, after three straight defeats to nil, but they haven't lost since. They went to Plymouth and won 3-0, drew 2-2 at Hillsborough, beat Burton 2-1 and drew 2-2 at home to AFC Wombles.

So they're definitely porous, but also tend to score – only six teams have drawn fewer blanks. On the other hand, no team has drawn fewer blanks than our 11. Evatt has refused to solely blame the forward trio, attempting to deflect criticism of them by also calling out Senior, John and Lee for missing chances at Accy. Not sure that's particularly wise, but let's hope something works, somewhere.

Forced to guess, I'd predict we'll start well, concede midway through the half, have a false rally around the hour and concede again off a set piece – Wycombe's strongest quarter-hour this season has been 61-75 minutes, with 8 goals (including the winner against us down there) and 2 conceded. But it's equally possible it won't be that promising. In the opening 15 minutes of league games this season we've scored once and conceded 10, while Wycombe have scored 7 and conceded 4.

If we're to score it's statistically likely to be just either side of half-time, when we're at our best (5 scored v 1 conceded in minutes 31-45, 7 v 2 in minutes 46-60) and Wycombe are at their worst (3v4, 4v6, although they're also 8x8 in the last 15 minutes). But for that to happen, we need to remember how to score. Oh for one going in off the back of Rico's head.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Dec 14, 2021 12:31 pm
It was a very even game, so it's not completely out of the question. However, after our last few matches it's hard to see us getting something vs a side who are two points off top of the league.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:04 pm

Am I missing a joke or reference to why we're spelling Wycombe as Whickham in the title? We've blamed defeats in the past on incorrect titles!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:52 pm

Hahaha waiting for Evatt to use that in the next press conference - ‘and those idiots on TW spelling Wycombe wrong, did you know we lost 6-3 to port vale last year as well!’