Who do you believe?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Who do you believe?

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:53 am

Yeah I’ll read the Marc Iles bit online 😉

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:34 pm

Thanks for that Bruce. I've just sat through it all knowing absolutely nothing about Sharon Brittan beyond the fact she owns Bolton Wanderers Football Club. Great frank, open and very honest exposure of the total person; she really opened her heart and beyond the limits of normal interviews, by allowing us into her personal world. An admirable lady ; I can only hope she decides to stay. I've just added her to my list of all time dinner guests with Jane Austen and Lucy Worsley. :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:34 pm
I've just added her to my list of all time dinner guests with Jane Austen and Lucy Worsley. :)
I've got her sat between Frank Skinner and Michael Portillo :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:45 pm

Even the WW gang have cottoned on now. I wonder when the BN will.
P.S. I see they have. Well done. Only taken a few days to catch up

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:46 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:45 pm
It isn't on the club's website either. I'm intrigued now as to whose interest the interview/video was made in, and why it's been almost secreted out.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Dec 20, 2021 4:07 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 3:46 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Mon Dec 20, 2021 12:45 pm
It isn't on the club's website either. I'm intrigued now as to whose interest the interview/video was made in, and why it's been almost secreted out.
I can assure you that it wasn't secreted out by Jason Elliott or Cowgills. I've never met Jason and never had any dealings with Cowgills. It probably popped up on my computer as a result of other searches I have previously made but it was clear that it merited a wider audience than the 83 views it had had when I first viewed it.

Its about to break a thousand views anytime now.
Last edited by Gudnib on Tue Dec 21, 2021 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:27 am

Over 2,700 views now. Of course I knew how well it would go down with Bolton supporters when they knew about it. But how well would it go down if I put it on TW or Nuts? Who would respond and how would they respond?

There's quite a lot of meat in that interview once you get past the shazzalove. There are also a lot of unasked questions but it is a good start.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:41 pm

Its that time of year to be considering nominations for the Bolton Bullshit Awards. Big Sam's been nominated for BOTY (Bullshit of the Year) for this quote published in the Bolton News on 14 November 2021:

'A business has to be run correctly, which is exactly what we did in my time because money wasn’t just given into the football club to get it into debt, the money I acquired was from the football team, irrespective of what they said at the time. I know I generated all the money I spent through the team being successful and making millions more than they expected year-in, year-out'

Can anybody read balance sheets? Sam can. His accountant taught him (or that's what he said).

My dad taught me how to wire a plug. I could easily have been a qualified sparky.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:32 pm

Sam talking bullshit shocker!

At least it's keeping you occupied I suppose and now Sharon's seemingly won you over, there's no need anymore for your vague posts hinting at FV possibly being up to no good.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:32 pm

At least it's keeping you occupied I suppose and now Sharon's seemingly won you over, there's no need anymore for your vague posts hinting at FV possibly being up to no good.
Sharon's won me over and 'hinting at FV possibly being up to no good'?
I don't wish to be rude but I'm not sure that you are cut out for reading between the lines.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:37 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:13 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I don't wish to be rude but I'm not sure that you are cut out for reading between the lines.
Strikes me that that's actually ALL you wish to be...

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Tue Dec 21, 2021 7:16 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 5:37 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Tue Dec 21, 2021 4:13 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Strikes me that that's actually ALL you wish to be...
Strikes you, does it? Ah well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
When you can't have a serious conversation, what's wrong with a bit of friendly parody?
Sharon's won me over and I'm now a shazzalover and shazzaphile. It is a bit daft innit???????????????????

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:03 am

You have to admit that Super Shazza can more than hold her own but is everyone really taken with the idea of Wokey Wanderers?

And who is convinced that FV ever had much by way of a sustainable business plan? Agreeing to pay way over the odds for assets of doubtful value sounds more like sentimentality than sustainability to me. Just as well they've managed to pick up a £5m loan/gift from the taxpayer, aka UK FF Nominees Ltd.

But back to Big Sam. I can't imagine Andy Gartside being enamoured after BSA's appalling treatment of the club, his father and Eddie Davies. It seems unlikely though that, since Andy's departure, he would have had any influence on Salvatore Allardici being invited back to the Reebok to relive his past glories.

What did Michael James make of it all, I wonder? He did attend ED’s memorial service.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:08 am

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 8:03 am

But back to Big Sam.
I can almost imagine the grin on your face upon learning that when Allardyce's Grange Park home was broken into in 2013, the one item taken by the burglars (and recovered) proved to be a fake Rolex. :D

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:45 am

Gudnib wrote:
You have to admit that Super Shazza can more than hold her own but is everyone really taken with the idea of Wokey Wanderers?

And who is convinced that FV ever had much by way of a sustainable business plan? Agreeing to pay way over the odds for assets of doubtful value sounds more like sentimentality than sustainability to me. Just as well they've managed to pick up a £5m loan/gift from the taxpayer, aka UK FF Nominees Ltd.

But back to Big Sam. I can't imagine Andy Gartside being enamoured after BSA's appalling treatment of the club, his father and Eddie Davies. It seems unlikely though that, since Andy's departure, he would have had any influence on Salvatore Allardici being invited back to the Reebok to relive his past glories.

What did Michael James make of it all, I wonder? He did attend ED’s memorial service.
Sam's an egotistical, money grabber for sure but I'd hardly describe his treatment of the club, Gartside or Davies as appalling. We did well out of him, he did very well out of us.

You do seem to attach enormous importance on here, WW, Nuts etc to Eddie's memorial service and who attended. Bizarre.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 11:45 am
Gudnib wrote:

Sam's an egotistical, money grabber for sure but I'd hardly describe his treatment of the club, Gartside or Davies as appalling. We did well out of him, he did very well out of us.

You do seem to attach enormous importance on here, WW, Nuts etc to Eddie's memorial service and who attended. Bizarre.
He might also have been an ungrateful unappreciative sod whose success at Bolton was founded on Eddie's money that he invested over eight years in his attempts to make BWFC a sustainable Premiership club. Allardyce walked out on the club claiming he was taking a break from football only to appear in next to no time at all as Newcastle's manager on £3m p.a. He then seemed to gloat at the upheaval he had left behind whilst losing no opportunity to try to pass it off that every achievement was down to him and no-one else.

ED was left to pick up the pieces and it was to cost him his fortune. The stress and anxiety may even have shortened his life but it was near enough £200m all told in monetary terms.

The memorial service was the opportunity for Bolton supporters and those who had benefited from ED's generosity to pay their respects and mark their appreciation.There was no Sam Allardyce, no Dean Holdsworth and no Ken Anderson present and the rows of empty pews and pews with only one person in them was disappointing to put it mildly. Its not something I will ever forget.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:41 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:16 pm

The memorial service was the opportunity for Bolton supporters and those who had benefited from ED's generosity to pay their respects and mark their appreciation.There was no Sam Allardyce, no Dean Holdsworth and no Ken Anderson present and the rows of empty pews and pews with only one person in them was disappointing to put it mildly. Its not something I will ever forget.
Might Covid restrictions have had something to do with that I wonder?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:43 pm

Gartside said Allardyce or someone with a similar record, wouldn't have got an interview were he to apply for the vacated job, then promptly hired Sammy Lee! He further compounded that by hiring Megson because they shared an agent. No surprise Sam had a pop back.

What cost Eddie his fortune were the ridiculous decisions he and Gartside took thereafter, seemingly oblivious to the fact that a club such as ours couldn't possibly stay in the PL forever.

At the time of Eddies death, vultures were already pecking at the BWFC corpse. The buck for that lies with him and PG. Very sad but personally, I'd not be rushing to show my appreciation.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:41 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:16 pm

Might Covid restrictions have had something to do with that I wonder?
No. It was 2018.

What might have had some effect was the poison put out by Marc Iles, Sam Allardyce's self-gratifying nonsense, the brainlessness of the Supporters Trust and a tsunami of the most vile and idiotic comments on the internet. That's why some of Sharon's recent comments were relevant and important.

But we could go back further to the ED takeover in 2003 and the publicity surrounding that. Albeit entirely irrational, there were deeply held grudges which remained much in evidence at the 2018 AGM in May 2018. I understand why Eddie did take it on but, viewed with hindsight, it was a big mistake not least for someone with an underlying heart condition

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:40 pm

Think I'll step back from this one, mainly because I've nothing useful to contribute, but name-calling and raking over old ashes never did much good anyway. Merry Christmas..