Statement of Capital

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Statement of Capital

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:55 pm
I'm unsure why the sneery attitude towards Rashford as well. Some odd folk about.
Oh, I'm all in favour of that. 🙂

I'll also be interested to see if his good deeds are still as newsworthy next season when he's playing for the likes of Wolves.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:25 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:04 pm
What's so hilariously funny about forming a company with £1 share capital??

Doesn't mean a thing and it is ludicrously common......
Poor old Dave, or is it Rodney?
I had to check whether the registered office of the Dubai City Group Ltd was Nelson Mandela House. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I'm unsure why the sneery attitude towards Rashford as well. Some odd folk about.

I'll also be interested to see if his good deeds are still as newsworthy next season when he's playing for the likes of Wolves.
At least the poor lamb's not likely to be going to Spartak Moscow.

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion/202 ... rom-russia

That's really going to hurt the Russkies where it hurts.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:06 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

This I find odd. He’s done remarkable things. I’ve no idea why someone would be opposed to what he’s achieved.

It’s almost like a rich young man chooses to try and help those from their background and people don’t like it. I can only assume jealousy or bitterness.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:06 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

This I find odd. He’s done remarkable things. I’ve no idea why someone would be opposed to what he’s achieved.

It’s almost like a rich young man chooses to try and help those from their background and people don’t like it. I can only assume jealousy or bitterness.
For me, Rashford should be commended for his good deeds and how well he used his platform. I think the media took it a step too far and has him heralded as some sort of saviour for the common folk when in reality he's just a footballer wanting to do a good deed. I get the impression this has been added pressure that has had a detrimental effect on him and the hype surrounding him is something he's very unlikely to live up to (England's & Man Utd's next big thing and modern day people's champion).

Hopefully he carries on doing well and speaking about good causes but I suspect the amount of spotlight shone at him may be somewhat of a deterrent.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

A cynic might suggest the influencial role of his PR agency in those campaigns went largely ignored. I'm willing to believe Rashford's initial motives were sound but I'm far less convinced his representatives' were.

It seems they've since parted company, though. If that was his decision then I think he's made the right one.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:06 pm

In some ways I feel sorry for Marcus Rashford. Not too much, mind you, because he is a Rag after all. But he's a young man with a talent for football who has been identified by ambitious individuals to further their own financial objectives and political leanings.

I'm not at all sure that he's bright enough to have realised that for himself but, whilst he's been accumulating his cash and property portfolios and enjoying the adulation of the terminally gullible, he's actually found himself unable to be himself.

Its not unpredictable that he now seems troubled. Trying to be something you are not is not at all conducive to personal fulfillment or wellbeing.
Last edited by Gudnib on Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:27 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

A cynic might suggest the influencial role of his PR agency in those campaigns went largely ignored. I'm willing to believe Rashford's initial motives were sound but I'm far less convinced his representatives' were.

It seems they've since parted company, though. If that was his decision then I think he's made the right one.
So what? If the outcome is good who cares what the mechanics were.

Sometimes I feel we go out of our way to be cynical.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:16 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I'm willing to believe he might have a bit of a chip on his shoulder from his upbringing but he hasn't parted company from Kelly Hogarth. She's still the one handling his 'image' but she might get paid a bit more being her own boss.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:50 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't decry what he's done, or set out to do. You've read something into that what I wrote that simply wasn't there.

However, I assume a high level of naivety on the part of those who only see, or even want to see a solitary aspect.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:25 am

I'm happy to believe that he himself (Rashford), had no agenda other than to prevent kids with a similar background to him potentially going hungry. That others may have piggy backed on to his image, criticised his methods or tried to make political mileage out of it, is a matter for them. I think his intentions were pure.

Ultimately, he doesn't appear to have developed as a player and I suspect he'll be elsewhere in the not too distant future. At least he raised the issue while he was at a high profile club, however abhorrent they may be.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:25 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:50 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't decry what he's done, or set out to do. You've read something into that what I wrote that simply wasn't there.

However, I assume a high level of naivety on the part of those who only see, or even want to see a solitary aspect.
And what aspect is there that means we shouldn’t see it as a good thing?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:08 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:25 am
I'm happy to believe that he himself (Rashford), had no agenda other than to prevent kids with a similar background to him potentially going hungry. That others may have piggy backed on to his image, criticised his methods or tried to make political mileage out of it, is a matter for them. I think his intentions were pure.

Ultimately, he doesn't appear to have developed as a player and I suspect he'll be elsewhere in the not too distant future. At least he raised the issue while he was at a high profile club, however abhorrent they may be.
That is what you are meant to believe. That's the service that marketing and PR folk sell.

You are also meant to believe that Saint Marcus is a super hero who did most of it all by himself. I rather doubt that he did very much at all apart from lending his name to the campaigns of others.

Fareshare is a perfectly respectable charity and I see nothing wrong in what they did but I can't say that I'm overly fond of the cult of personality and bigging slebs up into something they aren't. There's no shortage of folk who devote years and huge amounts of time and effort for good causes but there aren't many that get MBEs in next to no time for doing little more than turn up for the occasional stage-managed photo shoot and lending their name to the efforts of others.

And, of course, you are also meant to believe that the Rags is a club owned and run by selfless individuals who can always be relied upon to be generous, public-spirited and charitable in times of need. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by Gudnib on Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:00 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:25 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Shouldn't see what as a good thing?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 3:00 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 1:25 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Shouldn't see what as a good thing?
I just mean what is it that you don’t like? You seem to be suggesting that his campaigning has some sinister motive or force behind it. So I’m asking what that is?

Genuine question not trying to get into some sort of a huge row. I don’t get the animosity some have towards him. And I mean he’s a Man Utd player so means absolutely nowt to me other than I do think he’s used some of his presence to achieve stuff. And if that’s with people pulling strings behind him then I don’t really mind.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:03 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:25 pm
dave the minion wrote:

I had to check whether the registered office of the Dubai City Group Ltd was Nelson Mandela House. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nope, sorry. No comprende. I'll admit defeat, you've completely lost me with this one......

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 8:15 am

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:03 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 3:25 pm
dave the minion wrote:

Nope, sorry. No comprende. I'll admit defeat, you've completely lost me with this one......
Would you need to me to explain, Dave, why Jack and Vera put the name plate 'The Old Rectory' on their house in Coronation Street?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 am

Maybe you'll have to treat me with the disdain I obviously deserve and as the idiot I clearly am, but - whilst I am fully aware of the Corrie reference - I still don't know why it was remotely worth mentioning Holdsworth's "new" (well, formed 6 months ago....) company with such hilarity??

The large group I work for has many many subsidiaries with £1 share capital. I & my family have a couple of companies setup with £1 share capital. I honestly didn't realise this was so mirth-inducing for the seemingly more educated amongst us........

Please enlighten us. Equally, I'm also intrigued why you are wasting your life away trawling Companies House for any mention of former players or "owners" (if Deano can be called that?)

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 am

dave the minion wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 am
Maybe you'll have to treat me with the disdain I obviously deserve and as the idiot I clearly am, but - whilst I am fully aware of the Corrie reference - I still don't know why it was remotely worth mentioning Holdsworth's "new" (well, formed 6 months ago....) company with such hilarity??

The large group I work for has many many subsidiaries with £1 share capital. I & my family have a couple of companies setup with £1 share capital. I honestly didn't realise this was so mirth-inducing for the seemingly more educated amongst us........

Please enlighten us. Equally, I'm also intrigued why you are wasting your life away trawling Companies House for any mention of former players or "owners" (if Deano can be called that?)
Still not getting it then, Dave. Never mind.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:22 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 am
dave the minion wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 am

Still not getting it then, Dave. Never mind.
I think that Dave has made that quite clear on more than one occasion and has asked for the 'joke' to be explained.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle: