Statement of Capital

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Re: Statement of Capital

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:36 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 3:22 pm
Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:43 am
dave the minion wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:08 am
Maybe you'll have to treat me with the disdain I obviously deserve and as the idiot I clearly am, but - whilst I am fully aware of the Corrie reference - I still don't know why it was remotely worth mentioning Holdsworth's "new" (well, formed 6 months ago....) company with such hilarity??

The large group I work for has many many subsidiaries with £1 share capital. I & my family have a couple of companies setup with £1 share capital. I honestly didn't realise this was so mirth-inducing for the seemingly more educated amongst us........

Please enlighten us. Equally, I'm also intrigued why you are wasting your life away trawling Companies House for any mention of former players or "owners" (if Deano can be called that?)
Still not getting it then, Dave. Never mind.
I think that Dave has made that quite clear on more than one occasion and has asked for the 'joke' to be explained.
Do you mean you don't get it either? Do I really have to start explaining why the writers of Corrie had Jack and Vera using a daft name like The Old Rectory for their house in the street. It was a joke because it was ludicrously incongruous. The same sort of ridiculous incongruity that John Sullivan used in Only Fools and Horses for Delboy Trotter's scripts. Do you get it now?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:27 pm

I must say, that bit about Jack and Vera calling their house The Old Rectory has had me chuckling all day. Superb writing. 🤣
May the bridges I burn light your way

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:28 pm

No. Instead of trying to belittle people how about asking do they actually know what you are inferring? I don't watch Corrie and neither did I watch Only Fools and Horses so I don't know what you keep alluding to either. Don't assume that everyone are the same. And I was always brought up to know that manners don't cost anything but they can have great value. Do you get it now?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:27 pm
I must say, that bit about Jack and Vera calling their house The Old Rectory has had me chuckling all day. Superb writing. 🤣
I could be quite wrong but suspect that Deano (sorry Doctor Holdsworth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol) was more of a Delboy than a Corrie fan. Actually I haven't watched Corrie for years but I recall that its writers did have a GSOH. I once attended a really entertaining evening with the late Peter Whalley. Peter scripted more episodes than any other writer for the show. It wouldn't surprise me if The Old Rectory was one of Peter's creations.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:07 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:28 pm
No. Instead of trying to belittle people how about asking do they actually know what you are inferring? I don't watch Corrie and neither did I watch Only Fools and Horses so I don't know what you keep alluding to either. Don't assume that everyone are the same. And I was always brought up to know that manners don't cost anything but they can have great value. Do you get it now?
Never watched Corrie or Only Fools and Horses! That is what I'd call deprivation.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:39 am

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 10:11 pm
I once attended a really entertaining evening with the late Peter Whalley.
The late Peter Whalley. What happened? Did you tell him any of your financial anecdotes or how you refer to the BN as the 'Beeno', you rascal and he did himself in?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:46 am

Gudnib wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I could be quite wrong but suspect that Deano (sorry Doctor Holdsworth :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol) was more of a Delboy than a Corrie fan. Actually I haven't watched Corrie for years but I recall that its writers did have a GSOH. I once attended a really entertaining evening with the late Peter Whalley. Peter scripted more episodes than any other writer for the show. It wouldn't surprise me if The Old Rectory was one of Peter's creations.
Likewise - I honestly can't recall the last time I watched Corrie, however, I do remember characters who'd been written in for purely comedic effect such as Reg Holdsworth and Fred Elliot. Absolutely brilliant. Perhaps these two were also the brainchild of Peter Whalley?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:59 am

Gudnib wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:07 am
sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Mar 16, 2022 7:28 pm
Never watched Corrie or Only Fools and Horses! That is what I'd call deprivation.
They were programs my parents watched when I was growing up so I automatically put my headphones on and chilled out to classic hard rock :oyea: Then I left home to join the military and TV was the last thing on my mind. At the front of the queue was booze and birds, in any order I could find them :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:07 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 9:46 am
Gudnib wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Likewise - I honestly can't recall the last time I watched Corrie, however, I do remember characters who'd been written in for purely comedic effect such as Reg Holdsworth and Fred Elliot. Absolutely brilliant. Perhaps these two were also the brainchild of Peter Whalley?
Yes. It used to be fun to watch.

Peter lived in Hest Bank, the more well-heeled end of Morecambe. His obituary in The Guardian mentions the stone cladding on Vera's house to which the nameplate 'The Old Rectory' was attached. I expect it was Peter's idea.

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radi ... y-obituary

This line reminded me a bit of Unibol's most esteemed footie player:

“Have you seen him actually flying planes because I’ve seen him actually selling ties?” (Ken to Deirdre during her relationship with the bogus pilot Jon Lindsay, 1997).

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 am

As an avid non-watcher of any soaps, Derek's kidnapped Garden Gnome will stay forever as a classic when ever these things are mentioned. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:26 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:29 am
As an avid non-watcher of any soaps, will stay forever as a classic when ever these things are mentioned. :D
Isn't it interesting how we get from odd-looking loans to even more odd-looking share valuations to Derek's kidnapped Garden Gnome via a one pound company called Dubai Citi Group Ltd operating (if you can call it that) out of a room in a building in Hackney with more than 4,000 companies using the address as its registered office?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:39 am

Gudnib wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:26 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
As an avid non-watcher of any soaps, will stay forever as a classic when ever these things are mentioned. :D
Isn't it interesting how we get from odd-looking loans to even more odd-looking share valuations to Derek's kidnapped Garden Gnome via a one pound company called Dubai Citi Group Ltd operating (if you can call it that) out of a room in a building in Hackney with more than 4,000 companies using the address as its registered office?
And of equal interest, does 'garden gnome' become a proper noun when the one referred to is specifically 'Derek's kidnapped Garden Gnome'? :conf:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:55 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:39 am

And of equal interest, does 'garden gnome' become a proper noun when the one referred to is specifically 'Derek's kidnapped Garden Gnome'? :conf:
Hmm. "Garden Gnome" is listed as a noun by Collins English Dictionary?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gudnib wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't you agree that a little grammatical latitude is fair enough in affairs of such importance and magnitude?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:28 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Thu Mar 17, 2022 12:00 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Gudnib wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:
Don't you agree that a little grammatical latitude is fair enough in affairs of such importance and magnitude?
Oh indeed. I was just curious :D

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Mar 17, 2022 3:04 pm

I see that Doctor Holdsworth has been described on another forum today as a 'Greasy haired, wife beating, Cockney debt-riddled prxck' following an allegation that he might be involved in some capacity in UoB Bolton Borough FC.

Someone doesn't seem to be hiding his feelings very well. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 am

Interesting to see that Saint Gareth is planning to meet with Saint Marcus to find out what's going on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60787352

I could be wrong but trying to live up to the hype might just be getting in the way of Saint Marcus' day job.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Mar 18, 2022 10:30 am

Saturday's opponents, Crewe, deserve a pat on the back. They filed their 2021 accounts a month ago and made a profit.

They don't say anything about COVID though or how much they might have got from government support.

Still only 9 out of 24 in League 1 have shown their hand. I'm expecting most will delay until the last minute.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:02 am

Gudnib wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 8:19 am
Interesting to see that Saint Gareth is planning to meet with Saint Marcus to find out what's going on.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/60787352

I could be wrong but trying to live up to the hype might just be getting in the way of Saint Marcus' day job.
Not just the hype. This is the bad side of it. One man never won against the mob. M.R is in a bad place right now. He needs to step back a bit from the limelight and regain his form. I imagine Gareth will tell him the same?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 18, 2022 11:30 am

Any reason we keep coming back to Rashford on a part of the forum about the Trotter's? Surely we should move this to "Other Football" - Those that are interested can still engage with it...