Miller Light or Stella Artois. Rotherham v Bolton 1.1.22 15:00 Away

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Miller Light or Stella Artois. Rotherham v Bolton 1.1.22 15:00 Away

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:45 pm

I have to say, my expectations are pretty low for this one. Whilst we've had an enforced break, not sure we have any balance back available from the long term injury list. They comfortably blew us away at home when I think we had nearly a full team. Not expecting much different given we've not had an outing since 11th Dec? in the league....

4-0 Rotherham...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Miller Light or Stella Artois. Rotherham v Bolton 1.1.22 15:00 Away

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 1:45 pm
I have to say, my expectations are pretty low for this one. Whilst we've had an enforced break, not sure we have any balance back available from the long term injury list. They comfortably blew us away at home when I think we had nearly a full team. Not expecting much different given we've not had an outing since 11th Dec? in the league....

4-0 Rotherham...
I reckon that as in the home game they'll slacken off after going 2-0 up, although I guess if they get a set-piece we're always likely to concede again...

Bit of a phony war, this one. Feels like it's not a match that matters massively. We're all just holding our breath and waiting.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Dec 30, 2021 2:10 pm

Deservedly top of the league, for me - without a doubt the best side I've seen all season. Each of them individually tall, strong, athletic, cool in possession ; collectively well organised. Better than us in every department. We'll only avoid a gubbing if they take their foot off the gas.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:27 pm

Evatt's managing expectations for his patched-up, under-rehearsed XI. We're a long way from "best team in the league" territory here...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... rotherham/
We still have key players missing and I think player welfare is a topical discussion at the minute. It has been really challenging putting on training sessions for the players who have been symptomatic, they have returned to training but they are struggling with their breathing and the intensity of football. It is not good at all, really.

What needs to happen is that it is a case by case basis. We have had more than 20 cases, players and staff, which is serious. It is all well and good saying they can play once they are back in the building but what happens with the severity of the illness, their breathing while exercising, nobody knows the answers to that but it has to be taken into consideration.

We all talked about the spirit of the competition when we went into lockdown but there is no way any of my players who have been off with Covid will be fit and ready to play on Saturday.

Whether we play or not is a different matter – it looks like we have no choice, we will have to play, but are we ready to play to the best of our ability? The answer is definitely no.

We will more or less be at the bare bones on Saturday to be able to fulfil a fixture, and that’s provided we get no more before Saturday, by the way. The ones who have been off will have to play. We have no choice. That comes down to player welfare. It is a serious issue. I want to play, regardless of what people play or think. But seriously, we have had a lot of cases and people are really struggling.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:20 pm

Rather be weakened going into a game we're likely to lose anyway than waste a winnable home game. I don't think we can complain about how the COVID situation has impacted us really.
Pushed games back to when we'll have a better squad.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 30, 2021 6:53 pm

Nothing much to wax lyrical about this fixture, but here goes:

The name Rotherham always brings to my mind, " Rotherwood", literary home of Sir Walter Scott's "Ivanhoe" who's motto was death before defeat "No, by the soul of Hereward!". Brave words but Sir Ian of Evatt might not be feeling so Norman about invading Rotherham and carrying off the spoils. In fairness our patched up army will be lucky to avoid coming home in ambulances such is the state of health amongst the team.
No French speaking Richard the Lionheart will come riding to our aid ( not that he ever did); the best we can offer is a Portuguese speaking captain (covid and suspension permitted) to repel the maurading hordes in Yorkshiretown. (New York stadium? Who thought that one up unless old Isaac was in mind?)

So, once again ( by the grace of The Lord) the red rose valiants sally forth under the banner of Lady Sharon of Brittan against Much of the Millers and the rest of the merry men bent of putting us to the lance. When asked how he thought we will fare in Rotherham, Sir Ian of Evatt declared...Ivanhoe idea :lol:

. COME ON YOU WHITES!

P.S, That's all a bit French because Rotherham are White Rose and we'll possibly play in black. Sally on... ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:07 pm

I've still not been to their 'new' ground and I wont be rushing for a 1st trip this time either. Another dreadful gubbing I feel. 0-4
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:19 pm

People on social media, and a good section of the fans generally, will rapidly forget the circumstances if we take another hiding.

Honestly, in any other trade if you asked people just recovered from Covid to put in the kind of shift a footballer has to you'd be looking at legal action. Hopefully we don't see anyone collapse.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Dec 30, 2021 11:19 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Dec 30, 2021 7:07 pm
I've still not been to their 'new' ground and I wont be rushing for a 1st trip this time either. Another dreadful gubbing I feel. 0-4
I went when we got absolutely dicked 4 something under Lennon. Highlight was a pint at the Palatine in Hadfield on the way home, made famous by the League of Gentlemen... 'You'll Never Leave!'
Remember walking past a derelict and rotting Millmoor on the way there, where I once watched Tony Cunningham score a double for us in a 2-2 draw under Phil Neal.
This trip doesn't promise much I'm afraid, but it never did.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:20 am

How does making a bunch of players recovering from Covid play a game with one or two days training have anything to do with player welfare? It’s disgraceful.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 am

How does it have anything to do with it?
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:24 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 am
I think Insane's referring to higher authorities than club decisions Pru. Just badly put.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:11 pm

Best thing to do here would be for Evatt to abound on his principles, stick 11 men behind the ball and try and get a point. Can’t see it.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:55 pm

We're going to get absolutely hammersmashed - 4-0 to them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Dec 31, 2021 2:52 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 11:24 am
Prufrock wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 10:22 am
I think Insane's referring to higher authorities than club decisions Pru. Just badly put.
Yes it’s the EFL. Who trumpet player welfare yet are happy to see us play with barely 15 fit players half of whom are recovering from covid and only back in training for a day or two. The situation is disgraceful. Nothing to do with the club they can’t do anything but point it out.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:29 pm

Went to watch us away at Rotherham some years ago but for some inexplicable reason drove to Huddersfield.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:38 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Fri Dec 31, 2021 7:29 pm
Went to watch us away at Rotherham some years ago but for some inexplicable reason drove to Huddersfield.
Best bet.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:52 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 01, 2022 12:38 am
knobpolisher wrote:
Best bet.
I also dimly recall going to Huddersfield to watch us play a non league team in the fa Cup but can't seem to find any details. So I may be dreaming.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:55 am

No one going for "name the starting XI", then? :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:58 am

knobpolisher wrote:
It's still all that Yorkshire. I lived in Todmorden for a couple of years; like the Irish of Galway Bay, they speak a language that the strangers do not know. Played amateur football for both Todmorden and Walsden and the pitches too are off another planet; 45 degree slopes and loads of sheep shxt and getting changed in pubs and old furniture vans. All part of the great game. :lol: .