Couldn’t give a monkeys - Hartlepool away 4th Jan at 7pm on the dot

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Couldn’t give a monkeys - Hartlepool away 4th Jan at 7pm on the dot

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 pm

I don't the budgets is an absolute question. I find it v difficult to believe that we didn't have the money for cover at RB, or an upgrade on Dixon, in the summer, but suddenly have £350k for Charles, and per Evatt money to pay more transfer fees.

I think it's a combination of a conscious decision to be frugal and only spend money where we're confident it's a good deal (which I'm thrilled about) and a gamble that Dixon/Gilks, Gordon, Thomason, Brocky, Tutte, Baptiste were good "enough" until the right players became available (which I'm less than thrilled about).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 1:40 pm
I don't the budgets is an absolute question. I find it v difficult to believe that we didn't have the money for cover at RB, or an upgrade on Dixon, in the summer, but suddenly have £350k for Charles, and per Evatt money to pay more transfer fees.

I think it's a combination of a conscious decision to be frugal and only spend money where we're confident it's a good deal (which I'm thrilled about) and a gamble that Dixon/Gilks, Gordon, Thomason, Brocky, Tutte, Baptiste were good "enough" until the right players became available (which I'm less than thrilled about).
I think it's a case of not wanting to tie in 2-3 year deals for players we don't think seriously improve the squad. Club budgets aren't just weekly, monthly or annual things. You look at things over the full length of deals and now they impact squad growth and future spending power.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:22 pm

I agree :D particularly given I think at that stage we still couldn't pay any fees. Do you throw too much money at a free transfer in the summer or wait until you can get the player you really want, at a price that works? But then a factor still has to be how much do you need an improvement there. RB and GK I think we got that wrong (but their not absolutes, Dixon looked ok for a while, Jones might not have got injured).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 2:32 pm

I think we all said in the summer that it was a gamble. It's bitten us. Same goes for keeping Tutte.

Dodger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Dodger » Wed Jan 05, 2022 4:26 pm

Terrible mistake by Dixon but even million £ premier league keepers make them

https://fb.watch/alvV_exHZ3/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:08 pm

Aye the mistake by Dixon is somewhat masking the fact our first team couldn’t break down Hartlepools reserves. Joke!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:50 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:08 pm
Aye the mistake by Dixon is somewhat masking the fact our first team couldn’t break down Hartlepools reserves. Joke!
I'm not sure whether it's better or worse - but we did break them down. Repeatedly. We failed to finish some pretty simple chances and cocked up a lot of "should have been" moments in the box. What we did do was repeatedly cut open and break down a low block.

Does that say we are mostly doing the right things and it'll come, or does it say that our players are irredeemably hopeless in the box? Genuine question. I hope it's the former.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:51 pm

What that game showed is we are still in loads of bother when pressed, because when Hartlepool left that deep defensive posture and got at us our midfield movement was so poor we went long and lost the ball every time.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:18 pm

We created some…not sure I’d describe any as clear cut. We did seem to overplay it, look for another pass or two passes when we could be getting a shot off. I don’t think Charles is afraid to shoot so that will be handy (but then neither is Doyle).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:30 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:18 pm
We created some…not sure I’d describe any as clear cut. We did seem to overplay it, look for another pass or two passes when we could be getting a shot off. I don’t think Charles is afraid to shoot so that will be handy (but then neither is Doyle).
Yeah, there was one Doyle had where all he needed to do was lay it off to Kachunga and instead he tried to turn and lash it in with his weaker foot. Another when Charles was going to have a free shot but Kachunga ran across his line. Stuff that is school-boy stuff really.

I'd like to think we can and will be more clinical, but this has been going on for a while now.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:50 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 6:08 pm
I'm not sure whether it's better or worse - but we did break them down. Repeatedly. We failed to finish some pretty simple chances and cocked up a lot of "should have been" moments in the box. What we did do was repeatedly cut open and break down a low block.

Does that say we are mostly doing the right things and it'll come, or does it say that our players are irredeemably hopeless in the box? Genuine question. I hope it's the former.
As I said last night, despite the three MFs we had playing, enough went from back to front for us to have done better...as you observed elsewhere (and I think someone else mentioned in October), teams know to cut Dapo off, I don't think Kacha is "prolific" and not seen enough of Charles to come to a judgement...for me last night, our attack was singularly more woeful than the MF.

When faced with pass or shoot we far too often pick the wrong guess for me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:45 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:35 pm
As I said last night, despite the three MFs we had playing, enough went from back to front for us to have done better...as you observed elsewhere (and I think someone else mentioned in October), teams know to cut Dapo off, I don't think Kacha is "prolific" and not seen enough of Charles to come to a judgement...for me last night, our attack was singularly more woeful than the MF.

When faced with pass or shoot we far too often pick the wrong guess for me.
I said a while back that Dapo needs to start making those far post runs he was making last season again, because he can't rely on worldies for goals. The amazing moments are drying up and he's not keeping up with the bread and butter. Last season he missed so many far post headers and finishes it made me want to throw things, but he was at least making the runs. I believe Evatt also picked him up on this.

Kachunga exists to make things happen in the system rather than to post numbers, ala Kevin Davies. He needs others around him who will feed off what he does in the press and in behind. I think he's been one of our best players in this bad run.

Hopefully Charles can bang some in, but we need signings in midfield who can offer a threat.

There's a platform, but it's still wobbly.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 pm

Aye, but with Doyler largely failing in open play and Dapo better controlled by the oppos, Kacha there to do "other things" plus the as mentioned mf not being able to hit a cows arse with a banjo (not sure that's much better with Lee and Sheehan in it).

It's a problem...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:00 pm

Would be good to get this picture with Bolton players on it...has Dapo in the "lots of shit shots" quadrant...
Attachments
FH5G3BvXIAMkvX7.jpeg
FH5G3BvXIAMkvX7.jpeg (360.75 KiB) Viewed 710 times

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 pm
Aye, but with Doyler largely failing in open play and Dapo better controlled by the oppos, Kacha there to do "other things" plus the as mentioned mf not being able to hit a cows arse with a banjo (not sure that's much better with Lee and Sheehan in it).

It's a problem...
Teams that can't score goals and can't keep clean sheets get relegated. In any league.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:05 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Jan 05, 2022 7:52 pm

It's a problem...
Teams that can't score goals and can't keep clean sheets get relegated. In any league.
That is one of the main observations we keep coming back to.