Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:44 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 pm

I’m more than happy if we stay up. It as always where I felt we were. I’m not happy that we have current form or a relegation side and sit dangerously close to the drop zone. And complacency about we will sign players to fix it is starting to become a running theme. We had a good start. And since then have fallen apart. It’s not all down to injuries and something is wrong. The current form is not good enough for my expectation and miles and miles off yours. So let’s just accept that Evatt needs to fix it and fast.
Sure my prediction was optimistic. But what I would absolutely insist, in my defence, is that we have to remember we are a promoted team and that’s always a hard thing to read.

Chill out man, you sound mental. On the one hand you're saying you don't want him sacked and hope he learns, and on the other you want to judge him on players who haven't played, or in some cases haven't signed yet. You said
"I’m absolutely rejecting any sense that Evatt needs more of a window" but I mean, he's getting one isn't he? And there'll be games. And that's when he'll get judged.

No-one is claiming he's perfect or it's going well at the moment. Time will tell. But in this new spirit of accountability, why don't you head over to the predictions thread and make some...
I don’t know why you can’t admit that he’s got a lot wrong. The recruitment in the summer wasn’t up to it OR he’s lost the players somehow. Because our form is awful. And it’s yet another repair job. By now we should be at the point in January of adding one or two to improve us. But every time it’s a rebuild job. So judgement of Evatt is lacking. Why are you scared of admitting what is staring us in the face?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:44 pm
By now we should be at the point in January of adding one or two to improve us.
If Sheehan hadn't done his knee and Sarce hadn't gone that'd be two less we'd be after. Same with Kachunga now out for a good while and Doyle wanting to go home.

If you lose Doyle, Sarce and Sheehan how are you looking at one or two, even before you consider mistakes in the summer market?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
By now we should be at the point in January of adding one or two to improve us.
If Sheehan hadn't done his knee and Sarce hadn't gone that'd be two less we'd be after. Same with Kachunga now out for a good while and Doyle wanting to go home.

If you lose Doyle, Sarce and Sheehan how are you looking at one or two, even before you consider mistakes in the summer market?
Fine. We’ve replaced Doyle. Sheehan. Sarce yet to be replaced. That’s three.

But what I’m saying is both summers have had very very poor recruitment. You seem to agree. Last year was blamed on Phoenix. This time Evatt clearly assembled a squad unprepared for league one football and thought it was going to be a promotion contender. I can accept he got it wrong as is obvious. But I’m asking now what are we doing different to the summer to correct those mistakes? We need some experience. In key areas. And physicality. I hope we do not repeat the mistakes of the summer and neglect the most needed things in the squad.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 5:39 pm

I’m more than happy if we stay up. It as always where I felt we were. I’m not happy that we have current form or a relegation side and sit dangerously close to the drop zone. And complacency about we will sign players to fix it is starting to become a running theme. We had a good start. And since then have fallen apart. It’s not all down to injuries and something is wrong. The current form is not good enough for my expectation and miles and miles off yours. So let’s just accept that Evatt needs to fix it and fast.
Sure my prediction was optimistic. But what I would absolutely insist, in my defence, is that we have to remember we are a promoted team and that’s always a hard thing to read.

Chill out man, you sound mental. On the one hand you're saying you don't want him sacked and hope he learns, and on the other you want to judge him on players who haven't played, or in some cases haven't signed yet. You said
"I’m absolutely rejecting any sense that Evatt needs more of a window" but I mean, he's getting one isn't he? And there'll be games. And that's when he'll get judged.

No-one is claiming he's perfect or it's going well at the moment. Time will tell. But in this new spirit of accountability, why don't you head over to the predictions thread and make some...
I don’t know why you can’t admit that he’s got a lot wrong. The recruitment in the summer wasn’t up to it OR he’s lost the players somehow. Because our form is awful. And it’s yet another repair job. By now we should be at the point in January of adding one or two to improve us. But every time it’s a rebuild job. So judgement of Evatt is lacking. Why are you scared of admitting what is staring us in the face?
I have you mad bastard. He's not perfect and made plenty mistakes. My point is that's to be expected, all managers do and it's a process.

I've said on many occasions (you're good at searching now, feel free to look them up) that he took too big of a gamble in the summer that certain players were adequate back-up and that was a risk if we got injuries (we started the season well, then got injuries and it's tailed off).

But where I disagree on recruitment is that IMO it's untenable to suggest we should be in the position of adding "one or two" in January to improve us, particularly given those gambles on backup (which whether I'd have made them or not, we did).

Last summer we signed a whole squad. We needed an e.g. 4th choice centreback, Greenidge say, to get through a season in League 2, but obviously a division higher, those filler would need to be replaced. Because he had to sign them all, he's going to have a larger number who are jettisoned. He didn't walk into a squad with some filler he could jettison as "not his players". But it's mad, IMO, to try to criticise him for now needing better players after he's got us promoted. Should he have not signed L2 back-ups? Or should he have kept them in L1? Neither of those are plausible arguments.

Some of those, let's be honest a lot of those, didn't work out, and in Jan we built a v good (IMO the best in League Two) squad. But then, again, we went up a division. So now we had to sign better players. I think there are fair criticisms of some of those signings, but we weren't ever going to sign the whole of a first team in one window. You'll note the prediction you dug up was for season predictions, and I can assure you that when I made it I was aware that there was a Jan window and we might sign players in it.

I'm still happy enough that if we hadn't had a disproportionately unlucky run with injuries we'd still be mid-table and ready for a crack at the top 8. But we did, and aren't. That happens sometimes. We've named the same back 4 three games in a row once all season. We've haven't had a full senior midfield since November and large parts of December without a senior midfielder full stop.

We agree that the current run isn't good enough. You seem to think that's because the quality of recruitment hasn't been good enough. As far as last season goes, you're talking out of your arse, but for this season, fair enough, that's a reasonable opinion. My view is that it's not really the quality of recruitment (though passable at best) but the quantity. We gambled that Brocky, Gordon, Baps, Thomason, Dixon, Gilks, even Doyle given the position would be good enough for the games they'd have to play. That is where he went wrong, IMO.

We need to make signings this window, and will in the summer. That's just obviously the case when you've come up a division and expect to compete at the top end of the next.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:34 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:55 pm
But what I’m saying is both summers have had very very poor recruitment. You seem to agree
I agree we made mistakes, absolutely. I think I've been consistent on that. I don't agree last summer was "very, very poor" - I think it was okay. I think a promoted side doing enough to keep their heads above water despite the Sarce issue and our injuries isn't the catastrophe you're making out.

We need to improve in key areas. Any side that has lost 3 first team players would have to just to stand still.

I don't think we shouldn't or don't need to improve at the back, I just think we might not because of the bodies we have there. In an ideal world I'd have had us go into the season with a batter set of options at the back. Again, that's not changed. If we can improve there we should. It'll mean some out, though.

I am concerned that we're not addressing the issues in goal. I think we are doing generally the right thing in midfield and attack and that Fossey looks a good call if he stays fit.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:09 am

I note that Evatt's criticising Wycombe's time-wasting, and fair play to him.

I've also just read that in hockey if a player's deemed to be time-wasting then the decision gets reversed, so a goal kick becomes a corner etc.

I love to see football bring something like that in.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:31 am

Maybe Evatt should take this approach 😀

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:39 am

:lmfao: Marvellous
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:41 am

Kettering's social guy deserves a raise.