Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:56 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:53 am
Have we signed any 'small technically good' players in this window? Maybe Fossey, who you said was good.
The wonderful world of polarized internet conversation...

I think there are some who would prefer, a bit more "gumption" (that's measurable) in some of our players and some focus on being able to defend/tackle and head the ball so we can give it back to people who can keep our possession stat at 60%....apparently that's unattainable and not much required by the system, if you buy the other lot (small (in a "presence" sense"), technically gifted) footballers and the system will look after the deficiencies...

Where I'm at on it. When you're signing the "small, technically gifted" and it works, no one will bat much of an eyelid - sure the odd grumbles about points here and there (we saw it last year in our run to promotion, when despite being on a significant not losing run, we then lost to Grimsby(?) and Exeter, and all of a sudden half the squad weren't up to the fight...)

Similarly, playing Allardyce 3.0, if we're winning people won't bat much of an eyelid - sure the odd grumbles about not playing enough football etc.etc. soon as the League 1 equivalent of City comes along we're told we don't have enough "footballers" (coz the other lot aren't footballers - which is pretty perjorative)

I think there's more of a compromise than perhaps we're trying for and at the moment and I think we have a real blind spot to it. It all seems a bit "no diversification from the plan" if we just stick with this for 5 years it'll all come good, because we have the "cookie cutter" footballer in mind...If it works great, but I'm not sure there'll be 5 years to deliver the plan...

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

I was surprised to see our new striker was the smallest player on the pitch - Thought he was a fairly big fella
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

I'm right wah wah wah I said I am so I am :roll:

They took over when we had no players. Got promoted, and sit outside the relegation zone a league up. However you cut it that's at the very least a decent job so far.

The last three months have been baaad, but there have obviously been big mitigating factors with injuries (and depending on the view you pull out of your arse without knowing what's gone on) Sarc.

The board and manager are on the same page, and they're backing him with what he wants. This is a good thing. It's going to take a bit longer than a couple of games after two signings. The road to World Champions is not a straight line. This is a bump in the road.

I was right about Own Coyle, and I'm right about this :roll:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:44 am

There is an element of madness in continuing to do the same thing week after week, month after month when its clearly not working.

Its been the same in almost every game over the past 15 or so games - absolutely no leaders in the squad (Santos needs to be stripped of the captaincy, he's an awful captain), no spirit, no fight, soft as shit, completely disorganised at the back, same mistakes from the keeper & defence - we have 3 defensive coaches including the manager who himself was a CB but we can't defend at all, its amateur at times.

Our set piece delivery both from free kicks & corners is abysmal & we need to get more players in the box when we go forward.

The team is crying out for a decent experienced keeper & a centre back who can organise and even more importantly some steel & fight in midfield its men v boys most games (we are the boys), and there was the discussion last week about Doyle leaving without a replacement & last night highlighted why we need another striker, when Delfouneso is our only CF available from the bench.

We are certainly in a relegation battle, and to be honest I can't even see when our next goal is coming from never mind our next win and I honestly don't think that Evatt has a clue how to get this team battling for 90 mins and winning football matches.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:12 am

They took over when we had no players. Got promoted, and sit outside the relegation zone a league up. However you cut it that's at the very least a decent job so far.

The last three months have been baaad, but there have obviously been big mitigating factors with injuries (and depending on the view you pull out of your arse without knowing what's gone on) Sarc.

The board and manager are on the same page, and they're backing him with what he wants. This is a good thing. It's going to take a bit longer than a couple of games after two signings. The road to World Champions is not a straight line. This is a bump in the road.

He’s had 18 months and 3 windows and spent more money than any manager we’ve had in the last half decade. He had an excuse last January. Not this time. He’s signed the whole team and in many cases replaced players multiple times.

It’s absolutely more than fair to say we should be improved now. Yet we are regressing and there are clear signs the coaching and decision making is poor verging on the unacceptable.

I wouldn’t sack him. I think he’s got something. But he needs to realise his limitations and change his approach. Because it isn’t working and hasn’t been for a long time. And there are issues in the squad with spirit and effort - some of that team look like they don’t want to be here.

Evatt needs to reassess and fix the issues and stop signing identikit players. If Morley stops teams bullying us then great. If he adds the power we lack then great. If not then how are we going to compete in this league?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 am

We are improved. We're a league up. It takes time and we obviously didn't have the depth at the end of the last window. We're in a tough spell but that's what I mean about it not being a straight line. You don't stay in the same position all season.

They gambled that certain players would be sufficient cover/others wouldn't get injured. That hasn't paid off and we're suffering. Now is the chance to fix that, they seem very clearly to be on with that (money is being spent, numbers are being chased). That will take time but I'm very confident we will improve considerably from here to the end of the season, and if we don't we and the manager are in trouble. If Evatt and the board were saying this is all fine we'll go with what we've got, then I'd be v worried.

I've no problem with people saying they'd do this or that, but it's this idea that there's only one way to skin a cat and if he doesn't do this he's terrible and the worst.

We obvs needed to replace Sarc, we've signed Morley, you have an idea of the sort you'd want and he's not it. Fine, but you don't get to claim to be right before the lads kicked a ball. We obvs needed to replace Doyle. We've signed Charles. Same point again from 2 hours of football. We need to replace Sheehan. We're seemingly in for Dempsey. We needed cover for Jones. We've signed Fossey.

IMO those signings fix the most obvious of the oh Jesus problems (GK) aside and would comfortably have us safe. But it's a process to try to get to the top of the league and where we then need to start making the more marginal gains. It sounds like there are more coming in to address that.

That and f*cking set pieces.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:11 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 am
Prufrock wrote:

He’s had 18 months and 3 windows and spent more money than any manager we’ve had in the last half decade. He had an excuse last January. Not this time. He’s signed the whole team and in many cases replaced players multiple times.

It’s absolutely more than fair to say we should be improved now. Yet we are regressing and there are clear signs the coaching and decision making is poor verging on the unacceptable.

I wouldn’t sack him. I think he’s got something. But he needs to realise his limitations and change his approach. Because it isn’t working and hasn’t been for a long time. And there are issues in the squad with spirit and effort - some of that team look like they don’t want to be here.

Evatt needs to reassess and fix the issues and stop signing identikit players. If Morley stops teams bullying us then great. If he adds the power we lack then great. If not then how are we going to compete in this league?
I do actually agree with you regarding Evatt's blind spots, but some of the statements you make don't make sense to me. Which of Fossey, Morley and Charles are 'identikits' to players we already have/had?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:24 am

IMO it's entirely fair to say Evatt has blind spots (or sees problems but is unable to affect them). Set pieces, centre-backs and goalkeepers. That's a bad trio of blind spots. A car with that many crucial blind spots would be recalled.

However, I'm less sure about the idea that he's unable to change, or his sides are too one-dimensional. I totally understand the frustration with penetration-free possession but, from some of his quotes, Evatt shares it.

After conceding the first goal - which happens murderously often - we changed style last night. Perhaps through loss of confidence, perhaps through haste, we went longer more often, and it's exactly what Wycombe would want. Harry Headband at the back could mop that up for days on end. Where he was - where they were - panicking was when we rapidly exchanged passes and sent players into space. Fossey did that a lot after Geth came on, but we also almost got Charles through a couple of times at 0-0. That will come.

I'm worried about the defence, but hopeful that t'll be more organised with Geth, whom MJ described as "a real leader, one of the loudest on the pitch".

I'm worried about a goalkeeper capable of great saves and soft concessions, but hopeful that Evatt has mentioned getting in some senior competition, and has already proven himself willing to change his keepers.

I'm annoyed about how shit our attacking set pieces are, but hopeful Morley will improve them.

I'm not worried that Evattball won't score goals - I'm confident it will – but it's a whole heap harder when we're 1-0 down.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:52 am

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:11 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:58 am
Prufrock wrote:

I do actually agree with you regarding Evatt's blind spots, but some of the statements you make don't make sense to me. Which of Fossey, Morley and Charles are 'identikits' to players we already have/had?
I’m asking that which solve the major issues we have?

Charles looks good but doesn’t look like a lone striker to me anymore than Doyle was.

Fossey a really bright lively player who looked best replacing the absolutely hapless Baka in the front three.

Morley I reserve judgement on but we are being bullied in midfield and MJ needs physical help. And what I’ve heard of him he doesn’t seem to be that type.

Our back 4 is an absolute joke.

Teams with a few big lads come and bully us week in week out. And we don’t seem to be trying to fix that. You need a physical presence in this league.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:56 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:09 am
We are improved. We're a league up. It takes time and we obviously didn't have the depth at the end of the last window. We're in a tough spell but that's what I mean about it not being a straight line. You don't stay in the same position all season.

They gambled that certain players would be sufficient cover/others wouldn't get injured. That hasn't paid off and we're suffering. Now is the chance to fix that, they seem very clearly to be on with that (money is being spent, numbers are being chased). That will take time but I'm very confident we will improve considerably from here to the end of the season, and if we don't we and the manager are in trouble. If Evatt and the board were saying this is all fine we'll go with what we've got, then I'd be v worried.

I've no problem with people saying they'd do this or that, but it's this idea that there's only one way to skin a cat and if he doesn't do this he's terrible and the worst.

We obvs needed to replace Sarc, we've signed Morley, you have an idea of the sort you'd want and he's not it. Fine, but you don't get to claim to be right before the lads kicked a ball. We obvs needed to replace Doyle. We've signed Charles. Same point again from 2 hours of football. We need to replace Sheehan. We're seemingly in for Dempsey. We needed cover for Jones. We've signed Fossey.

IMO those signings fix the most obvious of the oh Jesus problems (GK) aside and would comfortably have us safe. But it's a process to try to get to the top of the league and where we then need to start making the more marginal gains. It sounds like there are more coming in to address that.

I don’t mind any of our signings. But adding another full back great going forwards perhaps not very good at defending doesn’t fix our issues.

Adding a striker who like Doyle doesn’t look a lone striker in our system hasn’t helped our issues. But he’s quicker I will grant you that.

And Morley again a good signing but does he fix being physically bullied by teams like last night? I don’t see it at all.

My issue is less Evatt himself and more people who pretend that we are the league one ‘Liverpool’ or Man City and can’t sign players cos Evatt is fixed on a style. Last night we lumped balls at Bakayoko and played little football. Evatt doesn’t seem focussed on one style. But unless we fix the back four and midfield in terms of stopping other teams opening us up like sliding doors at will we will continue to struggle. And I’m worried that we’ve three signings including one defender that do not fix our most obvious fundamental problems.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:00 pm

I've only just clocked "he's spent more money than any manager in the last half decade" which has properly made me laugh :lol:

Until Charles we'd spent one fee in nearly seven years as we nearly went bust and got relegated twice. It's not exactly fin de siecle Paris (or fin d'un autre siecle Leeds). We've spent about ~£500k, all of it in the last two weeks for so far a combined 2 hours of football. Not knocking the board, we've been in embargoes and they clearly backed him with wages, and we seem to be doing it sensibly. But he did...get us promoted. This window is another step towards building a side that can compete at the top end of this league and then more. Looks like they're going to continue to back him and if we don't see a big upturn then criticism will be warranted. But f*ck me that's some tendentious arguing!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:02 pm

Last five games: Played five, won none, drawn one lost four. Dumped out of the Cups. Whichever way you look at it, the rest is immaterial. Wonder how Sharon must be feeling right now? .." Ian, can I have a word..?"
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:56 am
Prufrock wrote:

I don’t mind any of our signings. But adding another full back great going forwards perhaps not very good at defending doesn’t fix our issues.

Adding a striker who like Doyle doesn’t look a lone striker in our system hasn’t helped our issues. But he’s quicker I will grant you that.

And Morley again a good signing but does he fix being physically bullied by teams like last night? I don’t see it at all.

My issue is less Evatt himself and more people who pretend that we are the league one ‘Liverpool’ or Man City and can’t sign players cos Evatt is fixed on a style. Last night we lumped balls at Bakayoko and played little football. Evatt doesn’t seem focussed on one style. But unless we fix the back four and midfield in terms of stopping other teams opening us up like sliding doors at will we will continue to struggle. And I’m worried that we’ve three signings including one defender that do not fix our most obvious fundamental problems.
I can get behind the gist of that but... It's the 11th of Jan. Wait until the end of the window at least!

My main point on midfield was that it was the obvious horror-show with the easiest gains to make and so the priority (Delf, GT and GJ). There are other issues too and I'm v happy it sounds like the budget is there to do that. If we don't sign the second midfielder, another forward, a keeper and a CB, given what's been said in the past few days, I'll be relatively disappointed.

Had you even heard of Morley before a few days ago? I hadn't. From the YouTube clips (I know I know, but I'm not talking about ability here) he looks a fit well built lad. I don't think he's a Sheehan. Dempsey isn't big but does have a bit of bite.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:09 pm

I'm going to start humming "Somewhere over the rainbow" whilst I'm watching...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

I can get behind the gist of that but... It's the 11th of Jan. Wait until the end of the window at least!

My main point on midfield was that it was the obvious horror-show with the easiest gains to make and so the priority (Delf, GT and GJ). There are other issues too and I'm v happy it sounds like the budget is there to do that. If we don't sign the second midfielder, another forward, a keeper and a CB, given what's been said in the past few days, I'll be relatively disappointed.

Had you even heard of Morley before a few days ago? I hadn't. From the YouTube clips (I know I know, but I'm not talking about ability here) he looks a fit well built lad. I don't think he's a Sheehan. Dempsey isn't big but does have a bit of bite.
Evatt has been here a year and a half and been backed to do what he wants. He’s signed players and then replaced them. He’s had it his way to build a side over three windows. We aren’t progressing we have massively regressed and gone backwards since September.

I’m absolutely rejecting any sense that Evatt needs more of a window. He’s in his fourth window and has signed himself every player in this squad or offered them deals. He has just about an advantage over every manager we’ve had.

And our form is atrocious. Since Sarce went we look shocking. Whether it’s correlation or causation I don’t care.

The managers job is to fix it and now. He’s already had massive leeway. But last night his failings were laid bare.

Set pieces he hasn’t managed to sort in 18 months. That’s gross negligence. He has the potential to improve over the next few years. But right now he’s obviously not a very good manager at this level. I’m happy to keep him but he has to show humility and accept that his ego has been found out. And fix the issues. Now. For Saturday. Not by telling us he needs to replace another 6 of the players he signed in the summer. It’s a red flag for poor management. If he has to every window rebuild what he’s already built entirely then he’s no good. End of.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:26 pm

Absolutely with you on the set piece issue. Last season a supporter of another club came on here asking us some questions, and I'll repeat now what I said then - Evatt's stubbornness will be his undoing.
We never score from set pieces, nor can we can't defend them. yet somehow Evatt's oblivious.
Is he scared of the Allardyce tag? Because I'd rather be likened to him than Coyle.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:18 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

Evatt has been here a year and a half and been backed to do what he wants. He’s signed players and then replaced them. He’s had it his way to build a side over three windows. We aren’t progressing we have massively regressed and gone backwards since September.

I’m absolutely rejecting any sense that Evatt needs more of a window. He’s in his fourth window and has signed himself every player in this squad or offered them deals. He has just about an advantage over every manager we’ve had.

And our form is atrocious. Since Sarce went we look shocking. Whether it’s correlation or causation I don’t care.

The managers job is to fix it and now. He’s already had massive leeway. But last night his failings were laid bare.

Set pieces he hasn’t managed to sort in 18 months. That’s gross negligence. He has the potential to improve over the next few years. But right now he’s obviously not a very good manager at this level. I’m happy to keep him but he has to show humility and accept that his ego has been found out. And fix the issues. Now. For Saturday. Not by telling us he needs to replace another 6 of the players he signed in the summer. It’s a red flag for poor management. If he has to every window rebuild what he’s already built entirely then he’s no good. End of.
We got promoted you daft bastard :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:04 pm

BTW, Pru. Since your prematch hope for a turned corner last night, I've had an inescapable Half Man Half Biscuit earworm, which only got more fitting as the evening descended:

"The fearsome hollow boom of the older boys in the deep end
The green shoots of recovery shrivelled up in harsh tomorrows
Left to pick dry sticks and mumble to myself
A melancholy emblem of parish cruelty"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:08 pm

:D

That Joe Jacobsen arsehole was clearly the inspiration for:

"If I were a linesman
I would execute defenders who applauded my offsides"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 12, 2022 3:09 pm

"...and no, I haven't got anything better to do."