Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:17 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:04 pm
I’m asking when will we fix the major problems that have led us to this point. We can’t compete physically. Number one. We can’t defend. Number two. We don’t look like scoring goals. Number three. Our set piece are abysmal. Number four.
I imagine when those players are available.

Fossey was "brilliant", as you put it. Charles, I'd imagine you'd agree, added physicality and fight.

Not sure what more you'd ask thus far given we're only two transfers in.

On the coaching side, yeah, loads to improve on.
Charles can’t play up front on his own. That much was obvious tonight. He looks a bright player but he’s not a striker in this system. With partner sure.

But the two signings haven’t fixed any of the problems that we have had since the summer signings didn’t fix them.

Hand on heart - do you not agree after long experience of watching teams that we looked on tonight’s evidence dispirited and lacking fight and a prime candidate for relegation? Cos it was screaming at us in the face. A routine win for a side coming here who didn’t even have to play well. And how many saves did their keeper have to make?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:21 pm
Hand on heart - do you not agree after long experience of watching teams that we looked on tonight’s evidence dispirited and lacking fight and a prime candidate for relegation?
I thought tonight was at once promising and disastrous.

If we keep playing exactly like that we will go down.

I think we disagree on how to fix it, but the issues are plain.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:26 pm

By promising, I mean I think the issues can be fixed by the lads we are bringing in. More so if Baps goes and we get a defender in.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Quo Vadis time again. Home V Wycombe Wanderers ,Tues.10-01-22. 8'0clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:27 pm

Darcy looked to have earned his place after he came on. I thought Fossey did well but Dapo needs support up the sharp end. Pace is also becoming an obvious issue.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:25 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:21 pm
Hand on heart - do you not agree after long experience of watching teams that we looked on tonight’s evidence dispirited and lacking fight and a prime candidate for relegation?
I thought tonight was at once promising and disastrous.

If we keep playing exactly like that we will go down.

I think we disagree on how to fix it, but the issues are plain.
We aren’t going to fix it without signing players who address our weaknesses. Of even greater concern is I’m unconvinced there aren’t wider issues as the team looks very lacking in spirit to me.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:46 pm
We aren’t going to fix it without signing players who address our weaknesses. Of even greater concern is I’m unconvinced there aren’t wider issues as the team looks very lacking in spirit to me.
For me, Morley and Dempsey do fix key issues.

Not all of them, to be sure, but important ones. I don't think we beat Wycombe by trying to be more like them. That just makes us shit Wycombe.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:49 pm

Things seem too rushed in the final third. 26 crossed 1 successful from the stats.

I'm getting the Petrov feeling all over again with Dapo playing the role of Chris Eagles. Hopefully this doesn't prove as problematic and can be sorted out but having players consistent chuck the ball away on bar crosses isn't helping. Petrov did it time and time again when he would've been better waiting for the midfield to come onto the ball instead of flashing it across to no one.

We're not good on set peices that's not ideal but even if that isn't being worked on then surely the pass and move stuff is. When we've got that many chances to get a ball to a man in the final third surely we must be doing better. Cut the ball back and have one person lining up for it. Delay and have one person guaranteeing a back post run.

Maybe that is the game plan and for some reason it's not quite clicking due to us being under pressure.

As for Evatt, I'm still supportive. Players that are getting brought in seem to be improving the side. It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Weve had a lot of the ball in the opposition half tonight against a Wycombe team sitting in third. The barometer is set prices and being clinical. Sort that out and we'll be well on our way.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 am

Where are my green shoots??

That was...not very good.

Played pretty well for half an hour but only created half chances while at the other end managing to give them a clear 1v1. Then it fell apart.

Defending was atrocious for both goals. Gave it away cheaply, Fossey nowhere to be seen, MJ knew the right thing to do, you could see he wanted to show him down the line but then he just.. didn't. And it squirmed under Dixon who should do better. Then it's groundhog day. 1-0 down *again* and huffing and puffing to get nowhere.

I've only seen their goal twice but we hurried, poor kick from Dixon, and I've no idea how John ended up so far away from the rest of them. Got bullied, goodnight Vienna. They're a good side, and exactly the sort of team built to hurt our weaknesses.

Dapo started brightly but then was awful, looks like he's carrying the world in his shoulders. Charles bright half an hour but needs minutes.

Aimson a bright spark, as at their place he did the ugly stuff well, and Gethin looked good, hope he's fit to start soon.

Fossey is a weird one and I would stop well short of excellent. He was bobbins at RB which is a concern as that's where he's been signed to play. He was a bright spark when he moved forward but mainly just by getting us up the pitch. We didn't create anything from it and his final ball is very iffy. Elbedouzi with better hair. The Petrov comparison is apt, but with much less quality of delivery. I don't see how he gets in up there even everyone is fit. I predict we won't see much of him if Gethin stays fit, and he'll take on the mantle of Andranik de nos jours.

Lee and MJ looked leggy, Thomason lost. We need bodies in there. We also need Xav/Kachunga back, and at least another forward. And a keeper. Fed up with Declan John's two gears. You're not doing us a favour. I'd start Johnstone there for the next few games and try to sign a centre back. John isn't adding a lot going forward because he's essentially a decoy for Dapo, and he just can't be arsed defending.

We need bodies in and back fit asap because too many of those aren't good enough. Delf, GT, Baka wide, Dixon are not good enough to play at this level, and certainly not in a side trying to play like we are.

Attitude is terrible at the moment. Obviously confidence is a big factor, but you don't get given anything, you have fight and be brave on and off the ball.

Still, measure. They're third. Bodies are starting to come back. Add a few reinforcements and things will improve.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:38 am

And sort the f*cking set pieces out. They've clearly worked on defending them, we're set up well and miles better at defending them. Try...the other end. And don't let Dapo anywhere f*cking near them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:41 am

Santos had a shocker too. All over the place, wrong side, no patience. This is now a Will Aimson fan account.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:30 am
Defending was atrocious for both goals. Gave it away cheaply, Fossey nowhere to be seen, MJ knew the right thing to do, you could see he wanted to show him down the line but then he just.. didn't.
MJ does that a lot and it's the reason he can't play centre back.

He has no pace and he's always worried about being done down the outside, so he doesn't show lads outside, he tries to slow them down and wait for support. He needs to just bite the bullet and do the right thing, but he shits himself and gives chances away.

Keeper has to save it, but it was infuriating from MJ. As soon as Santos handed him off (absolutely the right thing to do) I knew what was coming and just hoped their lad would miss.

Thought we'd got away with it....but we have Dixon in goal.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:56 am

If people want green shoots, er....

Charles and Fossey are clearly good signings. Charles is a grafting, annoying little shit of a player who will be horrible for defenders to play against. Once fit he won't give people a moment's peace. Combined with (hopefully) Dempsey we will run centre backs ragged. Fossey is a strong (for a fullback), quick, talented player.

Jones is back. We immediately looked more solid with him in there. Not to knock Fossey, who I think did pretty well, but Geth is a proper fullback and not a wingback. Geth stepped in a couple of times to cut out danger and was calm on the ball. We have missed him so much.

Aimson, I wouldn't rave about, but I felt did well. John and Santos didn't do him any favours. He still looks to the officials rather than just dealing with stuff, but he was the best of the defensive unit in raw defensive terms.

When Fossey went to the right we saw what this side can do to teams. The movement with the overlaps took them apart down that flank. We can build on that.

That's about your lot. We know John and Dapo can be a really dangerous left, but neither performed. If they can find form and we can do down the right what we did in the last half hour we are a threat. Then, as Insane says, it's about what we do in the box.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
the team looks very lacking in spirit to me.
This I agree with. Or at least, I think we look constantly nervous. It doesn't take much to make us wet ourselves.

Today needed calmness under Wycombe's pressure. The midfield needed to take control of the ball and pass. We can't beat Wycombe playing a load of long balls, but we went full panic mode.

A couple of times coaches, or Evatt himself, went to the touchline and told the lads to get the ball down and pass it - but the senior lads in midfield just wanted rid of it under pressure. Lee really disappointed me again. Whenever he plays alongside Thomason I think he lets the kid down. Doesn't talk to him, doesn't help him out. George had a shocker, but a lot of that was down to MJ and Lee not doing enough to protect him. When you talk about a lack of character and spirit, that's part of it, for me. When we have young players on the pitch they get blame and not help. Same goes for Santos moaning at Fossey....he's a kid in a new side and you're the fecking captain. Sort yourself out. I don't mind a bollocking, but moaning and throwing your arms around like a child helps nobody.

Charles offered more "leadership" when things went wrong than Lee, MJ and Santos put together. He was talking, adjusting and (most importantly) running.

I've been in clubs where there's been a blame culture, rather than a responsibility culture. We look like one of those right now. Every goal or chance conceded is someone else's fault. People repeatedly make the same error.

That can be a confidence and frustration thing. Sometimes wins fix it. It's not good, though.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:41 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
This I agree with. Or at least, I think we look constantly nervous. It doesn't take much to make us wet ourselves.

Today needed calmness under Wycombe's pressure. The midfield needed to take control of the ball and pass. We can't beat Wycombe playing a load of long balls, but we went full panic mode.

A couple of times coaches, or Evatt himself, went to the touchline and told the lads to get the ball down and pass it - but the senior lads in midfield just wanted rid of it under pressure. Lee really disappointed me again. Whenever he plays alongside Thomason I think he lets the kid down. Doesn't talk to him, doesn't help him out. George had a shocker, but a lot of that was down to MJ and Lee not doing enough to protect him. When you talk about a lack of character and spirit, that's part of it, for me. When we have young players on the pitch they get blame and not help. Same goes for Santos moaning at Fossey....he's a kid in a new side and you're the fecking captain. Sort yourself out. I don't mind a bollocking, but moaning and throwing your arms around like a child helps nobody.

Charles offered more "leadership" when things went wrong than Lee, MJ and Santos put together. He was talking, adjusting and (most importantly) running.

I've been in clubs where there's been a blame culture, rather than a responsibility culture. We look like one of those right now. Every goal or chance conceded is someone else's fault. People repeatedly make the same error.

That can be a confidence and frustration thing. Sometimes wins fix it. It's not good, though.
Santos is a worse player at this level than either Doyle or Sarcevic. He should be sold on that basis. And certainly shouldn’t be our captain.

Evatt is now in Owen Coyle territory. He has had three windows and continually needs to rebuild the team. Inspite of spending months thinking he has the best team in the league.

I’m at the point where there simply aren’t any excuses. This is on Evatt and his naivety but if he continues to spend money on players who don’t fix our problems then this club will be in trouble.

I was right on Coyle months and months ahead. And I’m right here. If Evatt doesn’t change he will set us back years and years. He has to fix the problems as a priority and stop signing more small technically good but ultimately not going to fix our failings players.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:41 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 2:13 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Santos is a worse player at this level than either Doyle or Sarcevic. He should be sold on that basis. And certainly shouldn’t be our captain.

Evatt is now in Owen Coyle territory. He has had three windows and continually needs to rebuild the team. Inspite of spending months thinking he has the best team in the league.

I’m at the point where there simply aren’t any excuses. This is on Evatt and his naivety but if he continues to spend money on players who don’t fix our problems then this club will be in trouble.

I was right on Coyle months and months ahead. And I’m right here. If Evatt doesn’t change he will set us back years and years. He has to fix the problems as a priority and stop signing more small technically good but ultimately not going to fix our failings players.
Have we signed any 'small technically good' players in this window? Maybe Fossey, who you said was good.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:57 am

Evatts post match quotes sound like every shithouse manager whose team we did a number on in the glory days.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 am

Ghost is spot on about Lee and Thomason. I felt for GT again last night - he never stops running and never gave it up, unlike the rest of them. Is he good enough? No - but he’s not developing and it’s because he’s either been playing with no help, or not being brought on by other senior players. Lee is starting to look like he’s here for an easy paycheck.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:30 am

Interesting to note that Thomason nearly got to both shots and was literally a foot away from getting a block in. Not that i'm laying the blame at his door but just a little more awareness and he could've got there so it seemed like fine margins for him yesterday.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:36 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:03 am
Ghost is spot on about Lee and Thomason. I felt for GT again last night - he never stops running and never gave it up, unlike the rest of them. Is he good enough? No - but he’s not developing and it’s because he’s either been playing with no help, or not being brought on by other senior players. Lee is starting to look like he’s here for an easy paycheck.
I don't think Lee is the type of player to give up the ghost, at all. He's just come back from a nasty bout of covid and turns 34 this year - I think it's much more likely that he didn't have the legs to operate effectively last night.

The real problem is we're being forced to start an undercooked Lee alongside a not ready Thomason. Without knowing the players well, I would hope Morley and Dempsey help to address this situation.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:50 am

Pfft. We're so feeble
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"