Stats

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Stats

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:22 pm

Thought it might be good to have a thread for stats. Consider its title a trigger warning :mrgreen:

Elsewhere, last night, Worthy asked...
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:29 pm
Kacha goals per minute not too shoddy iirc and I think he has 4 assists?
I'm afraid Kacha's goals per minute is shoddy – at 635.5 minutes per goal it's lower than Thomason, Baps and everyone else who's scored bar Johnston.
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.12.07.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.12.07.png (42.57 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
However, as you note, he's been much better at the ol' assisting – better in fact than anyone bar Sexy Kieran:
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.12.15.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.12.15.png (43.12 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
...so let's combine those into goals + assists, or what stattos tend to call "goal involvements" (an ugly phrase to my ear, but it'll do):
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.12.28.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.12.28.png (89.05 KiB) Viewed 5619 times
The second-last column is "minutes per goal involvement," and I've also divided this number by 90 for a "games per goal involvement" number. Early days for Xav but it'd be lovely if he kept that up. Slightly surprised to see Sexy Kieran so high up but then he's still a good player, just perhaps being overflogged for his age. Kacha not bad, Baka better, albeit from a smaller sample.

Side note 1: While tipping the hat, we should perhaps also wag the finger at those who haven't yet registered a goal or an assist: Santos (1783 minutes), Isgrove (1089) and Aimson (634) should all be contributing in some way. Although I guess, in a passing system, they sort of are...

Side note 2: Like any stat it's not the whole story: a winger can put in 15 superb crosses and watch his 50p-headed striker bonce them all wide. I might at some point add Chances Created - I wonder whether that would bump Kacha still further up the list?

(All stats League One only)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stats

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:28 pm

Happy they're all stats so far. Any xG stuff should go in my new "predictions" thread :D

My prediction there was for more goals from Kacha. I think he's been a bit unlucky in that when the rest of the team was good he was unfit; and when he was good the rest of the team was unfit (for purpose).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:28 pm
Happy they're all stats so far. Any xG stuff should go in my new "predictions" thread :D

My prediction there was for more goals from Kacha. I think he's been a bit unlucky in that when the rest of the team was good he was unfit; and when he was good the rest of the team was unfit (for purpose).
On xG, can't promise :mrgreen:

On Kacha - ha yeah, fair enough, and proof stats don't exist in a vacuum.

Predictably, couldn't help myself. Here's the number of "key passes", as in those which immediately create an effort on goal (which can then be fluffed by Toblerone Feet). And waddaya know - I mentioned a hypothetical diligent winger, and Isgrove has indeed been let down: only Brocky and Xav (both with very small datasets) have averaged more key passes.
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.44.42.png
Screenshot 2022-01-11 at 12.44.42.png (103.04 KiB) Viewed 5601 times
Worth noting, too, the volume of chances Dapo has created. He's played more minutes than anyone bar Dixon but he has posted some numbers in that time.

Oh and one other thing: as far as I can tell, every single player selected this season bar Gilks has registered at least one key pass / chance created. #system

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:18 pm

Not a defensive stat amongst the lot of them! :-) Attack, attack, attack, attack, attack!

Edit: the comment he's not that much worse than Doyler came from Beeb website:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/te ... op-scorers

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:31 pm

Cheers. I'm sure we'll get round to defensive stats when the clownshow next rolls into town... but your mention of Kacha made me focus up front, for now.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:46 pm

Chances created is not a st...oh forget it.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:03 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:46 pm
Chances created is not a st...oh forget it.
It's exceedingly measurable on the "how the fcuk did he miss that?" scale...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:08 pm

Christ, that one measured nearly seven Holdsworths.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:15 pm

:-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:55 pm

Not big on Stats, but I believe in fairies, so what's actually attainable ? :

If, (a small word with a massive geography,) we beat Shrewsbury come Saturday and the three "C"'s, Cambridge, Charlton and Cheltenham, all lose (we have a game in hand on Shrewsbury, Charlton and Cheltenham) we could effectively move up to 13th in the league. It might be throwing too many coins down the wishing well to look further,as yet, but it's a start... :)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:33 am

I thought Isgrove had at least one assist - for Doyle v Donny?

Edit - nope just checked that’s when he was injured and before we scored! Probably thinking of a pizza game…

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:13 am

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:21 am

We definitely need that balance and against Ipswich going more direct noticeably improved our tempo.

Good to see the stat confirms we are mixing up our play more. It absolutely needed to happen. I think we also used the press more sparingly too. And that both these changes are good ones.

We need to adapt to our reality and play like a league one side at least until we have a squad more capable of being effective in a less agricultural manner which I feel is a way off still.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:21 am
We need to adapt to our reality and play like a league one side at least until we have a squad more capable of being effective in a less agricultural manner which I feel is a way off still.
The manager has said Santos is a key part of his plans, Johnston is going to be a "top championship" defender, Jones is "a level above", Williams is "key to everything we do", John is a player Evatt has as cutting it in a promotion campaign, Lee is "top class" and "so consistent" etc. We've signed Trafford, Charles, Fossey and Morley to give Evatt a fighting shot at the play offs (in his mind).

How far off do you think we are vs how far do you think Evatt thinks we are?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:32 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:21 am
The manager has said Santos is a key part of his plans, Johnston is going to be a "top championship" defender, Jones is "a level above", Williams is "key to everything we do", John is a player Evatt has as cutting it in a promotion campaign, Lee is "top class" and "so consistent" etc. We've signed Trafford, Charles, Fossey and Morley to give Evatt a fighting shot at the play offs (in his mind).

How far off do you think we are vs how far do you think Evatt thinks we are?
How far off being able to play like the Liverpool of league one and be successful?

Several million pounds of investments in a number of players. Probably understating it.

How far off being an effective league one side - who just have a basic game and can alter their style to suit and are prepared to play like Saturday more often? I think we have the players more or less to do that but as we all know we are light in the requisite quality of back up.

How good we are will become clear over time but if we go back to trying to leave three up high, an ineffective press and a high line that passes everything out from the back we will be far worse.

I’d also point out that your argument has been Evatt says stuff just for confidence not because he believes it so I guess we have to question whether this is the same as ‘the players I wanted I’ve got and I believe we have a squad to be number 1’, or a real view on where he thinks we stand.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 am
I’d also point out that your argument has been Evatt says stuff just for confidence not because he believes it so I guess we have to question whether this is the same as ‘the players I wanted I’ve got and I believe we have a squad to be number 1’, or a real view on where he thinks we stand.
No, I've stated that sometimes Evatt talks crap - that doesn't mean he always does.

I wasn't trying to bait or trap you, I was asking you a question because I was interested to know where you stand on it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:41 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:39 am
No, I've stated that sometimes Evatt talks crap - that doesn't mean he always does.

I wasn't trying to bait or trap you, I was asking you a question because I was interested to know where you stand on it.
I’ve said all along I think we could be better than we were if we abandoned the absolute ridiculous way we setup.

I think if we build a stronger squad. Add some goal scorers in. Another target then we are well placed in this league.

We have a back three that looked miles better when asked to sit deeper than the back four looked with a high line.

So I think we can build from here but I don’t think we will make the play offs this season, however I’d be hoping next season with some changes and a team setup to play in a more mixed way that we will be challenging that too 8 - that would be my expectation for our development.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 am
We have a back three that looked miles better when asked to sit deeper than the back four looked with a high line.
How deep do you think we sat?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:08 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:53 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:48 am
How deep do you think we sat?
Visibly deeper. If you compare the highlights to Wycombe it’s clear we left less space in behind. Without camping out on the edge of our box. But we were as a result able to get greater numbers back. You can watch the highlights in the official YouTube and you can see the difference.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:08 pm
Visibly deeper. If you compare the highlights to Wycombe it’s clear we left less space in behind. Without camping out on the edge of our box. But we were as a result able to get greater numbers back. You can watch the highlights in the official YouTube and you can see the difference.
Hang on. You watched the actual game, right? Not just the highlights? Just making sure.