Looking for traction to avoid the blues - Ipswich (H), 3pm Sat 15th Jan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Re: Looking for traction to avoid the blues - Ipswich (H), 3pm Sat 15th Jan

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:28 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm
Was the improvement in part due to having an actual midfield, or something else?
It helped, but I think it was as much that there were no obvious weak links, meant they could all just concentrate on their own job. Plus really good battling mentality. Ipswich a good side, had a lot of the ball, but we had the better chances and deserved to win.
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 pm
We did what many have done against us, this season. We made possession count. Didn't try to be too clever, apart from the occasional "Hollywood Santos." Felt and looked more compact, looked to play more with purpose.

Felt like they'd managed to come up with a "gameplan"
Thanks Chaps. Encouraging stuff if we can build on it :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:53 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:28 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm
Was the improvement in part due to having an actual midfield, or something else?
It helped, but I think it was as much that there were no obvious weak links, meant they could all just concentrate on their own job. Plus really good battling mentality. Ipswich a good side, had a lot of the ball, but we had the better chances and deserved to win.
Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 pm
We did what many have done against us, this season. We made possession count. Didn't try to be too clever, apart from the occasional "Hollywood Santos." Felt and looked more compact, looked to play more with purpose.

Felt like they'd managed to come up with a "gameplan"
Thanks Chaps. Encouraging stuff if we can build on it :D
We can build on it. We will get results playing this way. Still need a few more players in key areas but we have Xav to come back in and have found a shape and style that suits us more.

If they maintain that work rate we will be nowhere near the bottom 4. Need some luck with injuries too.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:18 pm

Manager got all his calls right. The team grafted. Every new signing contributed meaningfully to the performance.

I don't think this is like last season, where new lads in and a permanent formation change rocketed us - but I do think we'll use this formation again when it suits. I'd not be against 3-at-the-back, though.

I really enjoyed today. Morley looked comfortable and gave us a range of passing we have missed since Sheehan got hurt. The pace we've injected into the side is massive for us. Trafford did his usual thing of making the right decisions and had fewer of his "accidents" - very promising keeper and hope it continues.

Cracking day.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:18 pm
Manager got all his calls right. The team grafted. Every new signing contributed meaningfully to the performance.

I don't think this is like last season, where new lads in and a permanent formation change rocketed us - but I do think we'll use this formation again when it suits. I'd not be against 3-at-the-back, though.

I really enjoyed today. Morley looked comfortable and gave us a range of passing we have missed since Sheehan got hurt. The pace we've injected into the side is massive for us. Trafford did his usual thing of making the right decisions and had fewer of his "accidents" - very promising keeper and hope it continues.

Cracking day.
Going off Evatts comments post match it sounds like he’s going to stick with this and a front two. Talked about doing much more work on the system as it suits us better now and how the ‘front two will get better as they play more games like that’.

I think he will stick with this system and way of playing for now. We need to scrap our way and today we found a way to do that. Concede possession but stay solid. It looked miles better. And the back three with Jones and playing deeper suited then a lot.

Ipswich weren’t great but still.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:41 pm
Going off Evatts comments post match it sounds like he’s going to stick with this and a front two. Talked about doing much more work on the system as it suits us better now and how the ‘front two will get better as they play more games like that’.
Cheers for that. I'm just back in a bit ago so I haven't caught up yet.

A 3 was his original want for us and he went to a 4 out of necessity. I don't really care which we use so long as we win games.

We've no absolute, out-and-out wingers in the squad now. Dapo is an inside forward these days, Izzy can probably be a wing back. Delf, Kachunga, Baka etc all forwards.

If this is the promotion system (as Evatt sees it) then all steam ahead, gaffer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:47 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Cheers for that. I'm just back in a bit ago so I haven't caught up yet.

A 3 was his original want for us and he went to a 4 out of necessity. I don't really care which we use so long as we win games.

We've no absolute, out-and-out wingers in the squad now. Dapo is an inside forward these days, Izzy can probably be a wing back. Delf, Kachunga, Baka etc all forwards.

If this is the promotion system (as Evatt sees it) then all steam ahead, gaffer.
I actually like it as a back three as Johnston and Jones offer mobility and the correct right left balance. And thought John looked miles better today. And Fossey is just made for the role.

And two sitting in midfield as we’ve said helps a lot.

I also don’t think Charles is a lone striker. If we can get a better target man style striker than Bakayoko could be interesting.

Do think there is a weakness on the right without Fossey though so perhaps needs looking at for cover.

I’m generally not a huge three at the back fan but think this makes much more sense with our options and means we can stop relying on winters cutting in as our main attacking threat.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:00 pm

As I said during the game, it might suit Dec and Fossey, each of whom has had his defensive aptitude/attitude questioned. Might also help Charles to have a foil to play off, whether that’s Dapo or Baka/Bod. We’ll see.

EDIT ha, more or less singing harmony with BWFCi. Funny how it goes.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:04 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:54 pm
I actually like it as a back three as Johnston and Jones offer mobility and the correct right left balance. And thought John looked miles better today. And Fossey is just made for the role.

And two sitting in midfield as we’ve said helps a lot.

I also don’t think Charles is a lone striker. If we can get a better target man style striker than Bakayoko could be interesting.

Do think there is a weakness on the right without Fossey though so perhaps needs looking at for cover.

I’m generally not a huge three at the back fan but think this makes much more sense with our options and means we can stop relying on winters cutting in as our main attacking threat.
I'm fine with all that.

I have no preference between 3s, 4s, 5s whatever....they can all work.

Our personnel does now suit the 3. Johnston, Fossey, John, Morley are all best in that shape - even though they could play in a 4 very easily.

3 in front of an inexperienced keeper asks him to do less.

Charles, as you say, can operate around a target man - giving us two proper outs, to the big man or pace.

It all works.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:05 pm

Biggest question, obviously, is Dapo.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

They weren't too shabby either. This is League One, not the Premiership. If we hadn't defended well we could easily have been losers, not winners. Credit where it's due hey?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 pm

"I thought we controlled the whole game, really. But concentration is massive."

itfc boss Kieran McKenna on this afternoon's 2-0 loss at Bolton.." No...you didn't :D

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:38 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:32 pm
"I thought we controlled the whole game, really. But concentration is massive."

itfc boss Kieran McKenna on this afternoon's 2-0 loss at Bolton.." No...you didn't :D
Makes a change to hear that from the opposition gaffer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:40 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

They weren't too shabby either. This is League One, not the Premiership. If we hadn't defended well we could easily have been losers, not winners. Credit where it's due hey?
Oh I think we bottled them up really well.

We were much tighter in the centre of the pitch and that was down to the system changes and that we sat deeper and all that meant we looked much less likely to concede. But of course the hard work from the players backing each other up was critical.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 pm

We’re fecking going up :pissed:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 pm
100% nailed on. Only 17 points behind Sunderland once we've won all our games in hand.

Could have at least made it challenging...

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:16 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:10 pm
100% nailed on. Only 17 points behind Sunderland once we've won all our games in hand.

Could have at least made it challenging...
Who was it that was saying the Wycombe game could be our Exeter (A) from last season? Well that wasn’t to be, but this was definitely our Leyton Orient at home. Premier League in 5 years, easy.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:24 pm
Premier League in 5 years, easy.
"Ianevattable", as one tweet had it today.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:25 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 11:24 pm
Premier League in 5 years, easy.
"Ianevattable", as one tweet had it today.
:lol:

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:16 am

[youtube]https://youtu.be/oEXwQf_64Xg[/youtube]

'Yeah I think we battered 'em.'

Love him already.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:43 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:16 am
[youtube]https://youtu.be/oEXwQf_64Xg[/youtube]

'Yeah I think we battered 'em.'

Love him already.
:lol:

Looks like we might have our club shithouse.