Looking for traction to avoid the blues - Ipswich (H), 3pm Sat 15th Jan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Looking for traction to avoid the blues - Ipswich (H), 3pm Sat 15th Jan

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:39 pm

Nothing like a win to lift the mood!

Solid performance. Fossey is looking an inspired signing, particularly with Gethins return. Keeper was great, early short passes aside and Morley made a promising debut. Happy Wanderer here.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:44 pm

Important 3 pts. No pity patty stuff = less possession (39%), but looking stronger as a team defending and going forward much more quickly. Our new GK looks confident and assured after realizing that Williams is not Bernardo Silva; Our new midfielder always looking for a quick pass up-field; our new RWB - Full of running and bravery; Our new forward - aggressive =, willing to attack the ball and strike it when given space. This team is definitely much stronger as the additions are no nonsense players.

Santos and Johnston excellent. Jones..now people should realize how good and important a player he is for us. My MoM was Lee. His movement was wonderful complemented by his passing and scoring. Santos a close second.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:55 pm

It’s got to be the blueprint for how to compete in this league. Surrender some space and possession. Sit deeper and soak it up and win it back and use the pace to hurt them.

Been saying this for weeks so glad we’ve proven that the high line and sideways passing was holding us back.

We looked a much tighter unit as surprise, surprise we compressed the game and prevented the opposition having acres of space to exploit. We have Ipswich very little and absolutely deserved to win.

Morley had some nice touches but also worryingly at times for me didn’t look very effective when we needed more presence in there. MJ still had too much to do at times.

Young keeper did well after a very dodgy start.

But basically we rolled our sleeves up setup in the proper way to get something out of a game of league one football.

No going back to how it was. This is the way and I can see recruitment of a better striker than Bakayoko would help. As would adding more presence in midfield.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:34 pm
Was the improvement in part due to having an actual midfield, or something else?
It helped, but I think it was as much that there were no obvious weak links, meant they could all just concentrate on their own job. Plus really good battling mentality. Ipswich a good side, had a lot of the ball, but we had the better chances and deserved to win.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:57 pm
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Was the improvement in part due to having an actual midfield, or something else?
It helped, but I think it was as much that there were no obvious weak links, meant they could all just concentrate on their own job. Plus really good battling mentality. Ipswich a good side, had a lot of the ball, but we had the better chances and deserved to win.
It’s because we sat deeper allowed them the ball and formed a tighter unit with far less space between our players. And used the front two more directly and tried to break from transitions. We aren’t good enough to do what Evatt has been trying before and this more simple game suits us.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:55 pm
Young keeper did well after a very dodgy start.

What I liked about him today is that after the shaky start he demonstrated a good sense for when to play it short and when to go long.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:01 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
It’s because we sat deeper allowed them the ball and formed a tighter unit with far less space between our players. And used the front two more directly and tried to break from transitions. We aren’t good enough to do what Evatt has been trying before and this more simple game suits us.
You're off your f*cking head if you think I'm going near that after we've actually won a game :lol:

Sure thing, flower. Enjoy.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:23 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:01 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
You're off your f*cking head if you think I'm going near that after we've actually won a game :lol:

Sure thing, flower. Enjoy.
It’s literally what we did. 36% possession, but we had more shots on target than they did. Sit deeper defend as a unit then counter. It is absolutely right and finally Evatt has abandoned his attempts to be Liverpool. Today we looked far better because we condensed the space between our players and could defend and attack as a unit.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:51 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Just checking my sphincter output.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:56 pm

What a difference a win makes, and we do have a plan B well done IE. Better shape & intensity IMO, less tippy tappy sideways & backwards stuff which made us more solid at the back. After a dodgy 1st 10 mins the new keeper did well very vocal and it seemed to help Santos & Johnston, big improvement on Dixon - Lee was excellent, his best game for a while and Charles & Fossey certainly improve us, Morley did ok & was much better than Thomason. Also both of our full backs were decent today, Baka I can't make my mind up but it certainly helped Charles, who has something about him character wise.

We do tend to play better against the less physical teams and it showed today, much better in midfield. Very important win that, and apparently we still have a decent chance of getting Dempsey next week.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:59 pm

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
We did what many have done against us, this season. We made possession count. Didn't try to be too clever, apart from the occasional "Hollywood Santos." Felt and looked more compact, looked to play more with purpose.

Felt like they'd managed to come up with a "gameplan"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 pm

Yeah Fossey looks a good wingback. And Charles has pace.

And that lets us change how we play.

I’m going to say that bar Fossey I’m not totally convinced by any signing thus far. Charles has pace and works hard. But he’s absolutely woeful on the ball outside the box. He’s worse than Doylar. And that’s saying something as it was his weakness too.

Morley was better than Thomason but game passed him by a lot. Obviously good on the ball but not convinced that’s enough. Sitting him with MJ helped a lot in terms of shape but can’t help feel a more proactive midfield option there would help more.

Keeper obviously early days. Hope he carries on like that.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:19 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 6:56 pm
What a difference a win makes, and we do have a plan B well done IE. Better shape & intensity IMO, less tippy tappy sideways & backwards stuff which made us more solid at the back. After a dodgy 1st 10 mins the new keeper did well very vocal and it seemed to help Santos & Johnston, big improvement on Dixon - Lee was excellent, his best game for a while and Charles & Fossey certainly improve us, Morley did ok & was much better than Thomason. Also both of our full backs were decent today, Baka I can't make my mind up but it certainly helped Charles, who has something about him character wise.

We do tend to play better against the less physical teams and it showed today, much better in midfield. Very important win that, and apparently we still have a decent chance of getting Dempsey next week.
Do for me!
Results results results. Looked stronger later on as well - fitness improving which will help. Didn’t need Delf off the bench till the end! Another forward option and a Centre half would be ideal. Deco John up for it thankfully.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:22 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:07 pm

I’m going to say that bar Fossey I’m not totally convinced by any signing thus far. Charles has pace and works hard. But he’s absolutely woeful on the ball outside the box. He’s worse than Doylar. And that’s saying something as it was his weakness too.

Morley was better than Thomason but game passed him by a lot. Obviously good on the ball but not convinced that’s enough. Sitting him with MJ helped a lot in terms of shape but can’t help feel a more proactive midfield option there would help more.

Charles worked hard defending up front and has way more to him than Doyle in terms of skills. Tired badly in the 2nd half. Will be better with more game time. Morely certainly has vision. Dont want to spoil our victory by being critical bat thought Baka wasn't very good today. Definitely not a target man as he lost all headers coming his way. We need another striker. I also thought MJ struggled today more so than usual, maybe because of the early card. Anyway, lets enjoy this. The team played well.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:22 pm

After the past few months, we should all chill out & have a beer or 5 and enjoy the win - its a great feeling although most of us had forgotten how it felt.

Well done IE and the players - thanks for allowing us to enjoy the weekend & next week. By the way I didn't rate Gethin Jones much last season but he does improve us a lot, whether that's leadership, communication or something else but we are a much better side with him in it.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:39 pm

I'll probably post some thoughts on today's match at some stage tomorrow, but tonight, after having to endure such a wretched run of results of late, I'm just going to bask in the reflected glory of a well-earned three points.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
I think you’re spot on with that. This was the first game in ages where we’ve not had anyone in the team who’s on the ‘clearly not good enough’. Start of the season when we could field a first choice team we were a decent side. Hopefully now we’re not relying on Baptiste, Thomason, Gordon, Brockbank we can start to pick up some wins again and move up to comfortable mid table.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:56 pm

Meant to ask, who dummied running over the ball for Lee's goal? Smart bit of work.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Glad to see you've put together well considered opinions on our new players after one fecking game.
We won, and every single player contributed to that.

:roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Glad to see you've put together well considered opinions on our new players after one fecking game.
We won, and every single player contributed to that.

:roll:
When did I suggest that wasn’t the case? And they are just initial impressions. They’ve all done well and contributed. But I’d also say all areas still lack some things. That’s all.

As I’ve said today was our best performance for months. And I said that at half time. We were absolutely setup properly today and the new boys contributed well to that.