Doing it by numbers..V Shrewsury away Sat 22nd Jan. 3'oclock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Doing it by numbers..V Shrewsury away Sat 22nd Jan. 3'oclock

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:06 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:29 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:52 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 2:23 pm
I don't think anyone would disagree but I think we're in slight danger of losing sight of the fact that playing well and creating changes tends to correlate pretty strongly with winning. No harm in winning without playing well. You're going to struggle if they're the only games you win though.

Of course a big part of playing well is defending properly and there's a been a gigantic improvement there. Still work to do on getting rid of the bathwater though.
I'm not suggesting we shouldn't create chances. :-)

Something that correlates a lot stronger to winning is keeping a clean sheet and scoring at least one! At time's we're absolutely in danger of losing sight of that fact.
Can something be said to correlate to itself :D ??
Well, I think it just has, so it's possible, aye :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:17 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 4:05 pm
I did indeed think you were referring to the other end of the pitch. Evatt said after Ipswich that there was a lot more work to do and I don't disagree. But there's a fair bit less of it to do from a clean sheet than a 2 goal deficit. I neither object to us passing nor to us creating chances but they're a means to an end.

Yesterday probably wasn't our finest passing 90, but as long as they were nil we were still in it and made it count. Bearing in mind we leaked 5 to a non-league team, that felt (as with last week) to be a step in the right direction.
System and personnel are both going in the right direction.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:58 pm

Just got round to the highlights. Charles' goal gets better with each watch. I was convinced he checked his run and it was behind him. It was. And the way he shifted it from where he received it to get the shot in was absolute class.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:05 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 6:58 pm
Just got round to the highlights. Charles' goal gets better with each watch. I was convinced he checked his run and it was behind him. It was. And the way he shifted it from where he received it to get the shot in was absolute class.
Indeed. Bollocks to that bitter bell-end Steve Cotterill claiming it was a "scuffed cross" from Dapo. That was two very clever players linking up superbly, and if they can continue like that we might be on for good things.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Jan 23, 2022 8:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:05 pm

Bollocks to that bitter bell-end Steve Cotterill claiming it was a "scuffed cross" from Dapo. That was two very clever players linking up superbly, and if they can continue like that we might be on for good things.
Scuffed cross? I hope he has the decency to admit his nonsensical remark when he watches it back. ( He can be excused of course for editing out Vela's fresh air shot) :lol:

A class chip from Dapo and a brilliant finish from Charles.. You lost Steve, you couldn't break our defence down and we won with a super goal. That's football buddy.. :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Not only that, the technical and physical control to hit it that hard and not balloon it over the bar was something to behold. I just keep rewatching it.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Not only that, the technical and physical control to hit it that hard and not balloon it over the bar was something to behold. I just keep rewatching it.

Same here. I even made Mrs Domingos watch it (I can't begin to explain her complete disinterest in all things football). What was telling is that the ball had hit the back of the net and was on its way back out again before our support reacted. That's how special a goal it was.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:05 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 10:52 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:56 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Same here. I even made Mrs Domingos watch it (I can't begin to explain her complete disinterest in all things football). What was telling is that the ball had hit the back of the net and was on its way back out again before our support reacted. That's how special a goal it was.
Ha! I did the same. Mrs LE apparently had 'must not like football' on a dating profile prior to meeting me. Met at a party and she only found out on our 2nd or 3rd date, by which time shed been bewitched by my many charms.

Even she said wow when she saw the goal. This is significant.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 am

Evatt ‘ Clean sheets win you football matches and yes, we want to be free-scoring and we think that there is more of that to come, but if you keep a clean sheet, it means you can’t lose and it gives you a platform to build from. Back-to-back clean sheets are extremely pleasing for us.’

Yep. 100 times this. The most important thing any side can have is an ability to defend. Last two games have shown that. Numbers back, defend the box. You simply have to do that at times like it or not.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Our last new signing to score a goal as good as that as his first was Anelka.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:43 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:20 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Anelkas first goal was nothing special iirc. Was at wallsall I think.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:44 am

“We were the better team but we just have to take one of those chances. If we do it becomes a different game."

So sayeth the Shrews boss man. "If" Mr Cotterill, is the difference. You had shots miles over our bar, no real near misses, a couple of efforts saved and the fresh-air joke shot of the year from Vela. No matter what you claim, you couldn't score, we did and won the game and points. Without malice, hard lines, better luck next time....er, I think :wink:

Oh, the brave music of a distant drum...!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:43 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Now had he said against Arsenal (sorry, G.G.).... :wink:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:24 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:43 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
I’m remembering it as the Arsenal goal first, obvs!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:55 am

You're all obviously forgetting Liam Trotters wonder strike at Sheffield Wednesday. It was so out of character with the rest of his play, I don't know who was more shocked, us or their keeper.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:59 am

Well, what a finish and what a fantastic result

Not vintage, but we do look hard to beat and I'd find a way of getting Afolayan into this system instead of Bakayoko, who continues to disappoint.

Great atmosphere and scenes after the goal went in!!
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:01 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 10:59 am
Well, what a finish and what a fantastic result

Not vintage, but we do look hard to beat and I'd find a way of getting Afolayan into this system instead of Bakayoko, who continues to disappoint.

Great atmosphere and scenes after the goal went in!!
I can see Dad Bod taking Baka's spot and Dapo taking Lee's.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:56 am
Evatt ‘ Clean sheets win you football matches and yes, we want to be free-scoring and we think that there is more of that to come, but if you keep a clean sheet, it means you can’t lose and it gives you a platform to build from. Back-to-back clean sheets are extremely pleasing for us.’
And the winner of this year's 'State The fecking Obvious' Award iiiiiiiis...........

Where was this 'philosophy' when we were losing games hand over fist last season?

Seriously, I've shut myself off from anything he has to say. I'll just see what transpires on the pitch.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
And the winner of this year's 'State The fecking Obvious' Award iiiiiiiis...........

Where was this 'philosophy' when we were losing games hand over fist last season?

Seriously, I've shut myself off from anything he has to say. I'll just see what transpires on the pitch.
Clearly you need to work harder :D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:57 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

Clearly you need to work harder :D
:lol: A fair point, well put. :oops:
May the bridges I burn light your way