State of the Squad 2 - This Time it's Personnel

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: State of the Squad 2 - This Time it's Personnel

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 am

Not sure SKD would be my pick of players from the past to improve us, TD.

I’d wager Stelios would be a regular goal scorer in this side, Anelka would have a load as well. I think we would all clone Abdoulaye Faye, and Campo if we could 😃

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:27 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:30 am
Not sure SKD would be my pick of players from the past to improve us, TD.

I’d wager Stelios would be a regular goal scorer in this side, Anelka would have a load as well. I think we would all clone Abdoulaye Faye, and Campo if we could 😃
I wrote a similar thought experiment for the BN back in December 2020: if Evatt could pick an XI out of any Bolton players from any era, who would he choose?

As it happens, I did say he'd pick SKD. Attitudinally, Evatt talks a lot about bravery and honesty and work; tactically, he's not averse to a strong presence up front - look at Quigley, who bounced our backs all over Stockport.

Annoyingly, it only went in the paper, not online, so I can't link to it. I've got it somewhere, will get round to uploading on my site.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:56 am

Problem with these "exercises" is people tend to start from what they've seen, even so, I'm a bit surprised that TD would have gone with SKD over Nat, or some of the other dignitaries that came before SKD.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:48 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:56 am
Problem with these "exercises" is people tend to start from what they've seen, even so, I'm a bit surprised that TD would have gone with SKD over Nat, or some of the other dignitaries that came before SKD.
Reason being time and personal favouritism, Worthy. Nobody, but nobody could ever replace Nat, but he was out of the game by 1960 and that's a long time ago. Sure, I've supported many Bolton scorers and heroes since, the list is endless from the famous, Frank Worthington, Freddie Hill, Wyn Davies, Michael Rickets, Jared Borgetti, Nic Anelka, John McGinlay, Eider, Joofy, Stelios, Youri, Nakata, Chung Yong Lee, J.J even the helicopter king,Les Ferdinand for a while.... to the completely infamous..who can ever forget Daniel Bratten, Marvin Sordell ? etc etc, but Super Kev's bravery and attitude made him a personal favourite and I never liked how they treated him at the end. Just me I guess.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:48 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:56 am
Reason being time and personal favouritism, Worthy. Nobody, but nobody could ever replace Nat, but he was out of the game by 1960 and that's a long time ago. Sure, I've supported many Bolton scorers and heroes since, the list is endless from the famous, Frank Worthington, Freddie Hill, Wyn Davies, Michael Rickets, Jared Borgetti, Nic Anelka, John McGinlay, Eider, Joofy, Stelios, Youri, Nakata, Chung Yong Lee, J.J even the helicopter king,Les Ferdinand for a while.... to the completely infamous..who can ever forget Daniel Bratten, Marvin Sordell ? etc etc, but Super Kev's bravery and attitude made him a personal favourite and I never liked how they treated him at the end. Just me I guess.
Aye wasn't questioning your favouritism mate. :-) Just observing that there probably aren't too many remember Harold Blackmore (type of thing) so these things always tend towards "more recent"...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:35 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 11:56 am

Aye wasn't questioning your favouritism mate. :-) Just observing that there probably aren't too many remember Harold Blackmore (type of thing) so these things always tend towards "more recent"...

Little story about that topic Worthy. When the Bolton Boppers were doing our dance act at half-time during a night home game against Sheffield United, (six years ago) the guy organising things didn't know Bolton and his rallying cry to us dancers( based on his own research( was "Do it for Harry Goslin" Not surprisingly there were more than a few puzzled frowns and "Who"s. Harry Goslin died in 1943 in Italy during the second World War (the only Wanderers player to be killed). Despite us telling him we'd be better doing it for Kev Davies, he insisted on doing it his way. There were 14,000 crowd that night, how many of them had even heard of Harry Goslin except as a war hero ?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 31, 2022 4:56 pm

Lloyd Isgrove suffered another muscle tear and is out for the season. Bolton News today.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:38 am

I feel for Isgrove, who seems to be universally acclaimed as a 'good lad', however, I think we have a decision to make on him in the summer.

I think with our promotion aspirations in mind, Lloyd isn't going to be good enough to merit a starting spot, and I think we'd ideally also want better back-ups. He'll be fit again by the start of next season, and I wonder whether it might suit all parties to let him move on to a bottom half League One/top half League Two side where he'd be guaranteed a start.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:06 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:38 am
I feel for Isgrove, who seems to be universally acclaimed as a 'good lad', however, I think we have a decision to make on him in the summer.

I think with our promotion aspirations in mind, Lloyd isn't going to be good enough to merit a starting spot, and I think we'd ideally also want better back-ups. He'll be fit again by the start of next season, and I wonder whether it might suit all parties to let him move on to a bottom half League One/top half League Two side where he'd be guaranteed a start.
Whatever he prefers for his own career, I suspect his potential benefit to us could be as a backup RW/RWB, especially against weaker teams. Seems popular around the place, good pro, Evatt likes him, won't whinge if not first choice.

Am aware that much the same could have been said about Tutte last summer, but whereas I was genuinely surprised when the Scouser was renewed – and I think Evatt may have learned a harsh lesson about being overloyal – I wouldn't be astonished if Izzy is kept on.

Also worth remembering that he is contracted until summer 2023, so it's not like we can make that decision unilaterally.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 01, 2022 3:10 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 2:06 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Apr 01, 2022 11:38 am

Whatever he prefers for his own career, I suspect his potential benefit to us could be as a backup RW/RWB, especially against weaker teams. Seems popular around the place, good pro, Evatt likes him, won't whinge if not first choice.

Am aware that much the same could have been said about Tutte last summer, but whereas I was genuinely surprised when the Scouser was renewed – and I think Evatt may have learned a harsh lesson about being overloyal – I wouldn't be astonished if Izzy is kept on.

Also worth remembering that he is contracted until summer 2023, so it's not like we can make that decision unilaterally.
Aye, that last bit. I don't think it's "overloyal" to honour his contract...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 01, 2022 7:07 pm

Free to a good home, for me.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:09 pm

Our boy Brommers has been doing his usual one-two: writing a fascinating piece on potential transfer targets, then omitting to tell a prime audience on here about it...

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2022 ... m-loanees/

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:33 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:09 pm
Our boy Brommers has been doing his usual one-two: writing a fascinating piece on potential transfer targets, then omitting to tell a prime audience on here about it...

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2022 ... m-loanees/
I was tempted to start a new thread for this summer’s transfer window and post it in there, but thought it too early :D

Might do the same for City’s under-23s as I think we’re probably more likely to build on that relationship this summer.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:44 pm

Like the look of Aji Alese as a centre back to partner Santos..Just a feeling from the clips, but he looks a strong lad and is left-footed.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:44 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:44 pm
Like the look of Aji Alese as a centre back to partner Santos..Just a feeling from the clips, but he looks a strong lad and is left-footed.
He is definitely a strong lad based on the games I’ve watched and is also comfortable with the ball at his feet. The only question is whether Moyes sees him as part of the first team next season (he was on the bench for West Ham’s first team yesterday). Personally I don’t think so but you never know.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:28 pm

The issue with the U23s these days is that there's only really a desire to loan out guys with a view to getting them into the first team, or if they're aging out. For those guys who are still of age and aren't quite good enough there is money in staying put to make up the numbers in the youth squad.

Dapo was aging out. If we can find similar players then great. Likewise if you can find a guy that a club thinks can make it and needs men's football to develop. Lads who are young and firmly League One or Championship level are actually difficult to get out of the youth systems, because they see no benefit in loaning them out.