State of the Squad 2 - This Time it's Personnel

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

State of the Squad 2 - This Time it's Personnel

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:22 am

So, we're through the window and we've won some matches. Everyone is a little giddy after the 6-0 mauling of Sunderland, but realistically we are still 15th and 14 points off the play-offs. So, what does everyone make of the squad now?

As a way of laying down a marker: If the season started tomorrow, where do you think this squad would finish and why? Who makes your first 11 and which positions do you feel we need to improve on in terms of quality to be a top side at this level (if any)? For extra credit - who in our squad would you say is in the "top 5" for his role in League One?

I believe this is the squad as it now stands. Green is contracted beyond this season. Yellow youth (wasn't sure on Morley, but should probably be yellow). Orange expiring. Blue on loan. I've also assumed Darcy went on loan, but that may not have met the deadline.

Screenshot 2022-02-01 021351.png
Screenshot 2022-02-01 021351.png (62.03 KiB) Viewed 1612 times

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: State of the Squad 2 - This Time it's Personnel

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 01, 2022 6:35 am

Some interesting business elsewhere as well yesterday - MCDons seemed to be signing someone new every time I looked, and Sunderland have flexed their muscles in response to Saturday!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:17 am

Still think we are weak at the back - Trafford has impressed me to be fair, Santos looks happy again and Jones has been pretty surprising as a Centre half. I genuinely don’t know now, you would hope if we started afresh we would be looking at play offs but I don’t really have a clue what the rest of the league have done either. Sunderland, Rotherham and Wigan are all still really strong, MCDons, Wycombe as well. I think we’ll win more this half of the season than last now though so let’s enjoy the ride!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 7:49 am

Well we look light at the back still. And for MJs type of role.

But I think we can rebalance in the summer. And reassess.

We are better now than we were and can play a much more dynamic and direct game which in this league is critical. Looking forward to the second half seeing how high we can finish then it’s all about taking it into next season with a few new key additions and trying to be right up there.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 01, 2022 8:53 am

Way too early for me to be declaring who might be top 5 anything at the moment. We looked a bit lucky at Shrewsbury, but had enough to bag the goodies. But. I'm happier with what I've seen last three, than prior. Change of formation helped too once Flossie rocked up - think it's helped John, too.

Traf think OK. Needs more work on his distribution.

Fossey, good in a three/five, but less sure about his capability in a four

Morley looks good

Been impressed with Charles from the off. We're not missing Eoin.

Not seen enough from Bod, Sadlier or Dempsey yet but happy with the options.

Would have liked CD cover.

All in all not unhappy, but proof of pudding and all that will take time to evaluate.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:29 am

Interesting thoughts Worthy. I’m not completely sold on Morley yet. Obviously he’s done well in a couple of games and has a nice touch on the ball. Seems a good lad and suspect he’s absolutely an improvement over the midfield we had early January. I’m just not totally convinced he’s got the all round game for a push higher.

Perhaps I’m wrong but feels like at times the game passes him by a little.

I know basically everyone else sees it differently so I guess perhaps I’m just looking for something different.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:20 am

Not worth a thread of its own so I'm posting it here. £350,000 and wrecked by a gust of wind (well, , a litle more maybe, but....

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... e-theatre/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:15 pm

I found it interesting that Evatt was saying he doesn't want to have to have another massive refresh of the squad in future windows, but is also holding out hope of promotion. Could always just be talk, but seems to indicate where he thinks some of these new lads stand in terms of levels.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:59 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 3:15 pm
I found it interesting that Evatt was saying he doesn't want to have to have another massive refresh of the squad in future windows, but is also holding out hope of promotion. Could always just be talk, but seems to indicate where he thinks some of these new lads stand in terms of levels.
The squad we have now looks good enough to at least challenge for playoffs, so I take that to mean there wouldn't be the need for big refreshes whilst we're in League One.

If and when we do get promoted I'm sure there would be more of a refresh, but Championship tv money/solidarity payments are quite a big jump up, so we'd have money to spend.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Feb 01, 2022 4:28 pm

The recent signings are young and on longer term contracts. With their continued improvements considering that footballers peak is between 26-29, Evatt may believe that there will not be the need for a "massive refresh" in the coming year, even with promotion.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:21 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 2:22 am
As a way of laying down a marker: If the season started tomorrow, where do you think this squad would finish and why? Who makes your first 11 and which positions do you feel we need to improve on in terms of quality to be a top side at this level (if any)? For extra credit - who in our squad would you say is in the "top 5" for his role in League One?
Had we had this squad all season, I'd be eyeing the top 8. (For comparison, in summer I said 8th-16th.) Squad strength is only one part of a successful season - manager, injuries, coaching, off-field stuff, it all adds up.

First XI is very hard to say right now, because IDK about Sadlier, Dempsey and Bodvarsson. As Ilesy put it last night, it's no longer easy to choose the 18, let alone the 11. Tonight, I'd pick an unchanged XI - but I wouldn't panic if Bod, or Xav, or Sadlier, or (when eligible) Dempsey came in. That's a much, much deeper squad.

What positions do we need to improve on? Your chart makes it fairly clear we're not very deep in defence - the department many would have said in December needed upgrading most urgently, even if Pru and you assured forum-dwellers it would be alright once the midfield was sorted. The quality of cover for any of the back five roles – six if you count MJ as a 6 - is worrying. Losing Foz would mean moving Gethin; Baps' legs have gone (although I'd be even more more worried in a back four than a three/five); Aimson isn't terrible and possibly suffered from being played in our worst stretch of the season (correlation or part-causation?) but you wouldn't want him in for any of the back three right now; and Liam Gordon still has to prove he's a fourth-tier, let alone third-tier, player. That's where summer recruitment has to focus: hiring either much better cover or, preferably, competition.

"Top 5" players - I don't know enough about others. But if you mean players good enough for a top five club - one threatening automatic promotion – it's an interesting question. If I were placed in charge of a large club with deep pockets and huge self-regard - say, for example, one situated in the north-east - which players would I be trying to buy? Arguably only Dapo. But a team can be more, or less, than the sum of its parts.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 01, 2022 5:46 pm

Midfield and forward looks pretty much done to me. Always open to the right player but I'd be pretty happy with that. A keeper for next year, and at least one centre back. And ideally an upgrade on Gordon and I think we'd be set to challenge right at the top.

I'm less worried about no MJ replacement in this system. With three CBs the role is less about sniffing danger and filling gaps then it is legs and clever pressing to make up for one less body in front. I can see a world where in a 352 he isn't even first choice. But if/when there are games/spells where we play a 433 I think he's the only natural sitter. But I do think we have players in Dempsey and Morley who could do that role even if it's not their biggest strength, which is a lot better place to be then we were just over a month ago with GJ and Delf in there!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:33 pm

I think we have to be open to the possibility of some serious interest in Dapo this summer. He could play championship or even premier league…he’s too good for league one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:06 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 10:33 pm
I think we have to be open to the possibility of some serious interest in Dapo this summer. He could play championship or even premier league…he’s too good for league one.
Maybe we better get our fingers out, then!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:13 am

Love that the reason we're stockpiling forwards seems to be so they can run themselves daft for an hour and then come off.

Thought Sadlier and DadBod came on and were quietly impressive. They'll have to bide their time, but it's good to have strength in depth. Add Dempsey, and hopefully SK and Xav into the mix for Saturday too. Joel will be getting dropped altogether at this rate :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:16 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:13 am
Love that the reason we're stockpiling forwards seems to be so they can run themselves daft for an hour and then come off.

Thought Sadlier and DadBod came on and were quietly impressive. They'll have to bide their time, but it's good to have strength in depth. Add Dempsey, and hopefully SK and Xav into the mix for Saturday too. Joel will be getting dropped altogether at this rate :D
Sadlier and Bod looked very good to me. I would say that it’s going to be very very competitive up there.

Dapo and Charles for me look the best pair so far. Bakayoko looks like the one who arguably loses out on game time most once rest are fully up to speed. Second half he struggled in my view.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:41 am

Yeah would agree with all of that. Think the best 3 is Dapo, Charles plus one of Lee, Sadlier and DadBod. Broadly in that order as I think Daps is more effective high up with Charles though good that he can cover the 10 role. Also possibly throw Dempsey into that mix.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:51 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:41 am
Yeah would agree with all of that. Think the best 3 is Dapo, Charles plus one of Lee, Sadlier and DadBod. Broadly in that order as I think Daps is more effective high up with Charles though good that he can cover the 10 role. Also possibly throw Dempsey into that mix.
Possibly, but I suspect Dempsey is going to be competition for Morley and MJ, depending on oppo and stage of game.

Again, we've certainly got competition – and not just that, but alternative solutions, different questions to ask from the bench. All good stuff.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:35 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:41 am
Yeah there is flexibility. Lee plays the number ten role great when it’s about nicking the ball back and hitting on transitions. Dapo is obviously better against sides that are sitting deeper though I get the sense it’s not his ideal role. Definitely looked best up front to me as it gives him freedom to roam and he links up well with Charles.

I think Bod will be very important in lots of games purely for adding that target up there. It’s flexibility now.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 02, 2022 5:23 pm

Dapo seemed to have a bit of a De Bruyne type role where he can sit off the play and nip in where he sees opportunities. He does seem to link up well with Charles. Dad Bod is still finding his feet but looks a prospect.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?