Which signing excites you most?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Which January signing excites you most?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 07, 2022 4:50 pm

Dion Charles
50%
Marlon Fossey (loan)
29%
Xavier Amaechi (loan extension)
No votes
Aaron Morley
11%
James Trafford (loan)
No votes
Jon Dadi Bodvarrson
4%
Kieran Sadlier
No votes
Kyle Dempsey
7%

Total votes: 28

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Which signing excites you most?

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:38 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:14 pm
truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:05 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 9:25 pm
That fecking clap knocks a few points of DadBod.
What's wrong with the Thunderclap??
Apart from our fans having zero timing? :-) I'm all for it
Granted. I did try and get the North Stand to do it properly, but I'm not sure how successful I was!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:47 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Granted. I did try and get the North Stand to do it properly, but I'm not sure how successful I was!
Well we didn't manage it Saturday, either in NSL :-)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:48 pm

It's dreadful. I hated it before we played them in 2016 but now it gives me PTSD.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 02, 2022 12:20 am

Dempsey, for me. Completely understand why people have said Charles. He's such a fantastic addition to this side. Scores and makes goals in this system and I'd not trade him for any other forward in the division. That being said, I think Dempsey will do for midfield what Charles has done for the attack and will drag us through games we'd otherwise lose.

Morley is passing teams to pieces. Dempsey will run right through them and tackle anything that moves.

It's going to be so much fun seeing how we do over the next 18 months. Really exciting times.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:10 am

I initially went for Charles but then changed my answer to Morley after thinking about it. As Nicholaldo said, I think he’s got the most potential to develop into something really special - the kid’s already dictating games at just 21, he could be scary good in a couple of years time.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:32 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:48 pm
It's dreadful. I hated it before we played them in 2016 but now it gives me PTSD.

Looking forward to seeing you leading this at Gillingham, then.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Wed Feb 02, 2022 11:39 am

So far Morley, both for being a good footballer and a proper shithouse, followed by Charles for also being a good footballer and a lesser shithouse.

Looking forward to seeing what Dempsey can do.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:51 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Tue Feb 01, 2022 11:38 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
truewhite15 wrote:
Prufrock wrote:
Ah, yes. Were my ears deceiving me, or was there a number of geographic 4ucknuggets actually shouting "Moose" between their mistimed claps, to an Icelandic bloke?
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 02, 2022 3:57 pm

The fact that there's no obviously bad signing and we can make arguments for most of them being genuinely exciting speaks volumes about how good our recruitment has been.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:03 pm

Will try to pen a long personal answer later - irksomely busy at the mo

What I would say is that this time last year, most people were probably most excited by Maddison. Barring Lukas Jensen and Ben Jackson, perhaps the least exciting signing might have been this injury-prone Tommy Fleetwood tribute act from Blackpool with initials for a forename. Funny how it goes.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 02, 2022 4:23 pm

I went for Morley, in large part due to how good he already is at the age of 21. Charles is the better player right now, and perhaps Dempsey and Sadlier will show themselves to be too, but I've been massively impressed by the composure and passing ability Morley has displayed thus far.

Watching him last night I thought he had the look of a young player on loan from a big PL academy such was the quality he displayed. With a few more years' experience as a regular starter I think he could become an incredibly valuable asset for us, and frankly I'm shocked we were able to acquire him for as little as £75k.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 02, 2022 6:45 pm

Thoughts on the four I've seen extensively...

Even at our biggest fee (actually paid) in yonks, Dion Charles looks a find. I loved Doyler but he had his limits; early days, but Charles looks to have a similar "sniffing" ability combined with stamina to burn, niggly determination to unsettle defenders and a delicious streak of bastardry. Will also win us free kicks too, though not nearly as many as he tries to.

Marlon Fossey is this year's Dapo: someone who's outgrown a well-respected London academy and needs men's football. If he can have the Dapster's impact we'll be 'avin' a right old knees-up. I suspect there are things he needs to learn but he has things you can't really teach or coach - pace, balletic athleticism, and a wonderful awareness of his physicality - you can see his gymnastics background in the way he glides past players and indeed vaults back to his feet when they've scythed him down. I suspect there's a lot more end product to come from this fella, just as there was from Dapo's unfulfilled promise last spring.

Xavier Amaechi also has bags of promise - his problem might be getting the chance to show it. Two lengthy injury absences haven't helped: he came back from one to find we were turning to dogsh!t, and will come back from the other to find we've turned into Holland 74. On the first comeback he sometimes looked like he was operating on a different thought-plane to his team-mates; perhaps this time he'll click, and if so we'll have another of those Cockney knees-ups again.

Aaron Morley might personify the local lad we all wish we were, mixing it on the field, dancing past oppos, giving it large to the away end. Some say his ceiling is the highest of all our new lads and it's a fair speculation. I know I love my stats but when I saw the boy's numbers last season and this, I liked the look of him, so when we were linked I held my breath the longest. So glad he's settling in. What a pearl of a player.

James Trafford might be a legend, or he might be a footnote. Either way, he's gone down in history as the first Wanderers keeper to collect clean sheets in all his first four games. No bad start. His kicking's surprisingly erratic for a former midfielder and a Guardiola protege, but maybe that can be ironed out. He's confident, vocal, imposing, yet another gnarly northerner – and if he's a success here, who else might Pep send up the M61?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 02, 2022 7:16 pm

^^ Agree with a lot of that DSB.

I think Fossey won’t have the goals in him Dapo does, but Fossey came as a RB and Dapo a striker.

I do think what might hold Dapo back from the very top level is a lack of pace. I mean he’s not slow at all. But you can see occasions where if he had real pace he’d be unplayable at this level. And in the premiership that extra pace matters. He’s got everything else though. I suppose apart from a left foot. So that and all. Either a bit more pace or a left peg…he’d be headed there already.

Fossey for me has the ability to play at the very highest level because he is so quick and so controlled with it. I’ve been impressed mainly with his end product too although on Tuesday the odd time he over elaborated. If his end product is good on a consistent basis then he’s going to be able to play at a very very high level if he wants to imho as long as he is lucky with injuries.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 03, 2022 12:13 am

Yeah, I won’t expect Fossey to score 12 goals by Feb 1st but he got a few assists for Fulham U23s and I think they’ll start to happen soon. Might be good for maybe five goals a season too if he gets the confidence to drift in a bit, or arrive for a far-post finish.

Guess I’m saying that even in a promotion steamroller of a team Dapo didn’t score or assist many last time, but with a full pre-season he’s flying. Imagine Foz getting better.

One more point. This is lovely from Foz. As a club we seem to be getting heartwarmingly good at this sort of thing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:25 am

Must confess I'm a bit surprised at the number of hero votes just for the front man. Don't suppose I should be, but a winning team isn't just about individual effort, but team spirit
and togetherness. Nobody ever looks at a car spark plugs or battery till they break down, but without them the flash counts for nothing. You don't choose between a knife
and fork at a meal..

For me, magical Marlon has really brought our right side to life.

Hey-ho, whatever/whoever ices your cake. :P
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:45 am

I’ve definitely come round to Marlon after my initial scepticism, but because he’s not our player I can’t pick him as the one I’m most excited about at this point.

I strongly suspect we’ll have competition for him in the summer if Fulham make him available, so don’t want to get my hopes up too much regarding a permanent deal.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:51 am

I think us signing Marlon permanently will be a little bit easier than expected. He's hit the ground running can only get better with more game time, the fans love him and he seems to love being here in a squad with a great bond. I don't think he'd swap the known for the unknown. Not unless he takes any advice from Tim Ream :shock:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:59 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:51 am
I think us signing Marlon permanently will be a little bit easier than expected. He's hit the ground running can only get better with more game time, the fans love him and he seems to love being here in a squad with a great bond. I don't think he'd swap the known for the unknown. Not unless he takes any advice from Tim Ream :shock:
Easy to say, but if he keeps playing like this and we don’t get promoted it’s not unlikely he’ll get offers from the Championship. More money and playing at a higher level in the run up to the World Cup could be quite appealing.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:11 am

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 8:45 am
I’ve definitely come round to Marlon after my initial scepticism, but because he’s not our player I can’t pick him as the one I’m most excited about at this point.

I strongly suspect we’ll have competition for him in the summer if Fulham make him available, so don’t want to get my hopes up too much regarding a permanent deal.
Aye, Fulham have always liked their American players. I almost always expected Brian McBride or Clint Dempsey (especially him) to score against us. Sure enough, they did... :oops:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 03, 2022 10:24 am

Fulham and Fossey have an agreement that he will come here if he feels settled. He signed his new deal on the understanding that he'd get first team games at Fulham, which they now can't offer him this season or next, and both clubs had a gentleman's agreement. We've already opened formal negotiations to get everything done well ahead of a summer bear pit. I'd be very surprised if he wasn't signed up relatively soon.

Fulham will let us have him. We want him. He wants to be here. Baring something very odd this'll get done.