Famous Five go to the Seaside...V Morecambe away Sat. Feb 5th 3-0.clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:44 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:36 am
Morecambe's boss giving an early indication of how they see us/how to beat us. Distant drums already. :wink:

"“We have to take the positives from that and take the performance into Saturday against Bolton because, if we go and press them the same way as we did against Sheffield Wednesday, if we can go and press a club like that with players of that calibre away from home, we can certainly do it at home against Bolton.”

They lost 2-0, so, yes please, more of the same on Saturday! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re:Morecambe thread

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:58 am

Just remembered Dapos flick to John for that first goal - what class!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Morecambe thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 02, 2022 9:57 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:36 am
Morecambe's boss giving an early indication of how they see us/how to beat us. Distant drums already. :wink:

"“We have to take the positives from that and take the performance into Saturday against Bolton because, if we go and press them the same way as we did against Sheffield Wednesday, if we can go and press a club like that with players of that calibre away from home, we can certainly do it at home against Bolton.”
As noted earlier in the season, it's a very different Morecambe to last season's extremely low-block lot. They're sixth-lowest for passes per sequence, which suggests they still don't exactly hang about in possession, although it could also suggest their moves break down. They're eighth for direct speed - literally how quickly they get the ball up the pitch in metres per second - but they're also third-bottom for "direct attacks" (defined as "the number of open play sequences that starts just inside the team’s own half and has at least 50% of movement towards the opposition’s goal and ends in a shot or a touch in the opposition box").

Interestingly, in terms of pressing, over the season they're the third-lowest for PPDA (passes permitted over defensive action outside your defensive third) - above only Cambridge and Cheltenham, suggesting our fellow promotees all decided to stand off. If Morecambe have chosen now to change that and come at us, fair enough – they might find we're decent at passing the ball around them...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:10 am

Plenty to talk about so I started an early thread. Doubt if even Enid Blyton could write the script for this one. I'm moving some posts over from the Cambridge thread: Pick your own Famous Five.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Famous Five go to the Seaside...V Morecambe away Sat. Feb 5th 3-0.clock

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:44 am

The way Evatt's now got them set up, and with the players he's brought in, I think our strongest opponent from here on is is now time itself.

We'll go to their downtrodden resort and will emerge victorious. 1-0's plenty 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 02, 2022 10:52 am

Disappointed with the lack of an Eden project pun tbh https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/202 ... ject-north
Last edited by officer_dibble on Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:44 am

Time to forget about the euphoric six goals and think about a realistic couple of goals win (one is always a nervy lead in this league). The original Famous Five would go to the seaside with shrimp nets, but the only shrimp nets we're concerned about are those with goalposts round them.

The Shrimpers are currently twenty first in the league tale to our eleventh, but caution is advised with the old mandate of pride coming before a fall, so we really need to be on form and keep up our current form. Not sure if Dempsey will get to start, but he might and he'll surely be champing at the bit to impress. He'll also have to forget his recent Captain's role and settle for life in the ranks for a bit.

"May he (you) live in interesting times" is actually an old Chinese curse, but we are living in interesting times, not the least at the Unibol, so lets hope w can live them at the "Mazuma" stadium and record another clean sheet and three points. " COME ON YOU WHITES "... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:13 am

Be 4 goals minimum in the game IMO, hope we come out on the right end of it.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 11:13 am
Be 4 goals minimum in the game IMO, hope we come out on the right end of it.
I'm thinking the same. 2-2 or 3-2 either way
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:30 pm

Interesting views. We've won four games to nil and Trafford has had very little to do. I won't be shocked to concede goals, but I'd be interested to know why people think we'll ship two or three. Is it just the brilliance of Stockton?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:49 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:30 pm
Interesting views. We've won four games to nil and Trafford has had very little to do. I won't be shocked to concede goals, but I'd be interested to know why people think we'll ship two or three. Is it just the brilliance of Stockton?
They seem to be a side who score and concede a few. Stockton is on fire and our run has to end sometime. I'll take a dour 1-0 win though if it's on offer!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 1:49 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
They seem to be a side who score and concede a few. Stockton is on fire and our run has to end sometime. I'll take a dour 1-0 win though if it's on offer!
They concede a lot! Nearly 2 a game...I'm going 1-3, Whites.... :-)

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 03, 2022 2:20 pm

They've conceded 24 goals and scored 11 in their last 11 league games.

5 of those were at home. Conceded 9 and scored 9 (4 scored by Stockton). 3 teams in the bottom 6 plus Wycombe and Wigan in there. 2 wins and 1 draw.

It's an interesting mix, for sure.

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Thu Feb 03, 2022 3:29 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:44 am
Time to forget about the euphoric six goals and think about a realistic couple of goals win (one is always a nervy lead in this league). The original Famous Five would go to the seaside with shrimp nets, but the only shrimp nets we're concerned about are those with goalposts round them.

The Shrimpers are currently twenty first in the league tale to our eleventh, but caution is advised with the old mandate of pride coming before a fall, so we really need to be on form and keep up our current form. Not sure if Dempsey will get to start, but he might and he'll surely be champing at the bit to impress. He'll also have to forget his recent Captain's role and settle for life in the ranks for a bit.

"May he (you) live in interesting times" is actually an old Chinese curse, but we are living in interesting times, not the least at the Unibol, so lets hope w can live them at the "Mazuma" stadium and record another clean sheet and three points. " COME ON YOU WHITES "... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Sarfend is quite a long way from Morecambe Bay, TD, and The Shrimpers are now in the Conference Premier League.

On form The Shrimps shouldn't be troubling us. I'd love to see Kieran Lee back. He really does make a difference when he's fit and has good players around him.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Is it just the brilliance of Stockton?
Hmm. I suspect Stockton's record at Morecambe will be down to them having worked out a system to bring the best out of him, rather than his individual 'brilliance'. His goals per game ratio up to 2019 is little short of pathetic.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:23 pm

I dunno that one he scored from his own half in the last minute was pretty good! Arthur getting regular game time as well…he didn’t rip up trees here. But, they are bottom 4 for a reason, so it’s on us!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:33 pm

Morecambe absolutely play to his strengths, but there's no system that gets a poor player 22 goal involvements in 29 games.

This season I've seen him beat 5 players to score, lob a keeper from 40 yards, score from his own half, smash a volley in from a tight angle on the reverse etc. He leads the line well, brings others in....he's clearly been undervalued and poorly used previously.

I think if your entire club has scored 40 in the league this season and one player has 17 of them, that player goes in the book as having been brilliant.

That being said, Rico did a total number on a lad having a very similar season when we played Sunderland and Stockton isn't magical. He can be dealt with.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 pm

Watched Stockton a bit this season and I think he’s brilliant. His past record wouldn’t suggest so but he’s obviously maturing as a player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:49 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 pm
Watched Stockton a bit this season and I think he’s brilliant. His past record wouldn’t suggest so but he’s obviously maturing as a player.
Shame we missed him in the summer. I wonder if we'll be back in for him in the summer, or if we are now priced out. Probably the latter.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:49 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Feb 03, 2022 4:39 pm
Shame we missed him in the summer. I wonder if we'll be back in for him in the summer, or if we are now priced out. Probably the latter.
Can’t see it now. Big shame we missed out. Would have been very good in our early season system.