Closing down "Crazy Corner"

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Closing down "Crazy Corner"

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:22 pm

This has been mooted on and off for a decade at least, but it looks like the club are finally seriously considering closing the East Lower's southern sections. Seems like the throwing of missiles and increased violence towards stewards and police are the closers on this one.

If behaviour doesn't improve the club will have no choice as the police will step in and we'd be unable to get insurance coverage.

10 years ago the suggestion was moving the wannabe ultras to the North Upper and giving them some control over appearance of the stand, as Cardiff did; but that died in committee.

It sounds like there's a really limited window now for the club to avoid having those sections closed down, which may include the last few games of the season.
Screenshot 2022-02-04 151608.png
Screenshot 2022-02-04 151608.png (138.37 KiB) Viewed 1915 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Closing down "Crazy Corner"

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 04, 2022 3:33 pm

Won't they just head for West Lower Corner?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:11 pm

Shuffling the dickheads on the Titanic?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:22 pm

The social media replies are illuminating of the human condition.

‘Not our fault you let Sunderland fans within throwing distance’. Is the jist.

Absolute idiots. I don’t enjoy away games anymore as the behaviour is honestly appalling of some. I’ve no interest in standing under a stand full of smoke bombs. And everyone filming it on their phones.

I like the atmosphere but have no idea why people have to go to football to cause trouble or cannot restrain themselves just because the opposition fans are a bit closer than normal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:23 pm

Yeah - that's the one. TBF there were a number of complaints on Sunlun forum about bottle throwing (Not sure they were any angels either)...all a pretty sad indictment.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 04, 2022 4:33 pm

Yeah, there was a lot of stuff thrown at the Sunderland lot.

Our lot even tried kicking off with the Cambridge fans, which is crazy.

My understanding from someone at the council is that the two options we've been given if it doesn't stop are an alcohol ban or closing those sections (this is going back a bit). Presumably closing the sections hits matchday revenue less.

I think the immediacy of the issue stems from some violence outside the ground after the Sunderland game, which started with stuff between the East Lower and away end.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm

To be honest those criticising the club are likely the muppets spoiling it for the rest of that corner. Atmosphere will be hit in the short term but if you are the police and we’ve got 8,000 seats free for 90% of games, you are saying use those and leave a bigger gap and we’ll reduce incidents and ultimately police/stewarding costs. Can’t see how the club has an option.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:52 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Feb 04, 2022 6:08 pm
To be honest those criticising the club are likely the muppets spoiling it for the rest of that corner. Atmosphere will be hit in the short term but if you are the police and we’ve got 8,000 seats free for 90% of games, you are saying use those and leave a bigger gap and we’ll reduce incidents and ultimately police/stewarding costs. Can’t see how the club has an option.
It's quite easy to leave a bigger gap - sell fewer away tickets on the 2 or 3 occasions in the season when it's likely to sell out.

The only obvious trouble I've seen in the ground this season was Wigan and Sunderland when there was bother in both ends. The membership scheme has put paid to walk ups and was brought in to identify those intent on causing trouble.

There's a great atmosphere in the stadium at the moment, with all 3 sides of the ground getting behind the side. That all stems from the lower east. I think it'd be a spectacular own goal by the club to kill this off when there's more practical solutions to the occasional trouble.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 05, 2022 9:40 am

On the occasions I went by train (straight from work etc) the trouble stuff isn't confined to just the Loonies Lair inside the ground. The dictum, right back from teens was always that if you look for trouble you're sure to find it. Burnden Park had its fair share of it long before the Reebok/Unibol. Worse I ever saw was Gladys Street after we'd played Everton in a night match. Only the coppers saved somebody from getting killed. What has any of it got to do with football?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Feb 05, 2022 12:21 pm

Why don't they just use cameras and target and ban the most obvious feck*? Get it reported in the BN, message sent.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 8:52 am
officer_dibble wrote:
It's quite easy to leave a bigger gap - sell fewer away tickets on the 2 or 3 occasions in the season when it's likely to sell out.

The only obvious trouble I've seen in the ground this season was Wigan and Sunderland when there was bother in both ends. The membership scheme has put paid to walk ups and was brought in to identify those intent on causing trouble.

There's a great atmosphere in the stadium at the moment, with all 3 sides of the ground getting behind the side. That all stems from the lower east. I think it'd be a spectacular own goal by the club to kill this off when there's more practical solutions to the occasional trouble.
So the answer is to just accept people can’t behave within the law and responsibly and just manage situations to ensure you minimise said behaviour?

That’s not right for me. The people who say it’s the clubs fault for putting Sunderland fans too close are the problem. Not the other way round.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:23 pm

Anybody remember the original Burnden Crazy Corner where they had to put steel fences up between the Railway end and the Manny Road stand to keep the factions apart? (Wasn't ticket then and the away fans used to flood into the Railway end terraces in droves). Even the fences didn't always keep the loony tunes apart.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:30 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:01 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
officer_dibble wrote:

So the answer is to just accept people can’t behave within the law and responsibly and just manage situations to ensure you minimise said behaviour?

That’s not right for me. The people who say it’s the clubs fault for putting Sunderland fans too close are the problem. Not the other way round.
Or maybe the answer is something else and not one of two binary extremes?

Or maybe HG is one of those sad old bastards who egg the errant yoofs on? 😁

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Totally agree with this HG - sell a few less tickets to the away fans & leave a bigger gap, it only ever happens when the club give away clubs 4.5k-5k tickets and the away fans are next to the ESL.

By the way its hardly trouble is it, a couple of plastic bottles being thrown - by the way the club & some people are talking you would think we'd returned to the trouble of the 70's & 80's. A total over reaction from the club.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:41 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:35 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Totally agree with this HG - sell a few less tickets to the away fans & leave a bigger gap, it only ever happens when the club give away clubs 4.5k-5k tickets and the away fans are next to the ESL.

By the way its hardly trouble is it, a couple of plastic bottles being thrown - by the way the club & some people are talking you would think we'd returned to the trouble of the 70's & 80's. A total over reaction from the club.
Lol that last bit...I did think to myself "plastic bottles?" - but I think the contention is there were glass bottles too (think the cider was in glass bottles). But yeah, that used to be half-bricks flying into the Burnden Paddock (and back out of it) :-)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:36 pm

Why should the club sell less tickets? Fair enough if the home ends were sold out…

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:47 pm

Just bar entry to any spotty bastard who shows up wearing a quilted jacket and jogging bottoms. 👍
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:49 pm

"The club should sell fewer tickets so the not-rights don't have easy targets."

No.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:50 pm

It needs a culture shift. There's too many growing up these days with the idea that you go to a football match for a piss up and a scrap. There's no excuses, people just need to stop being dicks. Playing at being "hard men", chucking insults at the opposition players, having a go at our own players, hurling missiles. It's not just at Wanderers, it's country-wide - look at the neanderthals that tried to break into the Euro 2020 final.

It's disgusting, and it's shameful. It shouldn't matter how close the opposition fans are. Just stop being dicks!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 05, 2022 3:39 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Sat Feb 05, 2022 2:50 pm
It needs a culture shift. There's too many growing up these days with the idea that you go to a football match for a piss up and a scrap.

These days? Hardly a new phenomenon is it?!
May the bridges I burn light your way