Addicks in the 'Bok: Wanderers v Charlton (H), Tuesday 8th Feb, 8pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Addicks in the 'Bok: Wanderers v Charlton (H), Tuesday 8th Feb, 8pm KO

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:58 am

We have some more football tomorrow.

After attending the 4-0 thumping win away earlier in the year, I was surprised to see that Charlton are level on points with us. Having binned off Nigel Adkins shortly after we visited, caretaker Johnnie Jackson won seven of his first ten games before becoming permanent gaffer a week before Christmas.

Things have been, well, volatile since. Jackson lost his first three games in permanent charge, before a draw at Cheltenham stopped the rot. Since then, it's been three wins on the spin over Fleetwood, Portsmouth and AFC Wimbledon, the latter a wild 3-2 win over the struggling common dwellers.

Jonathan Leko, who had DJ in knots last time we played, hasn't really featured as much recently as far as I can see which is slightly surprising. Maybe part of that is rules-based; you can only have five loanees in a matchday squad, and Charlton have six on the training ground. Still, not sure i'd wager the other five are better than him, but who knows.

I'd like to think we have enough to beat them even after the emotions of Saturday. COYWM, etc.
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Addicks in the 'Bok: Wanderers v Charlton (H), Tuesday 8th Feb, 8pm KO

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:18 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:58 am

I was surprised to see that Charlton are level on points with us.
A crack at The Addicks. Lovely.

Not just points that we're level on - our records for the season so far are basically identical, even down to goal difference (+4). The only thing separating us is that we've scored three more (and conceded three more too, but that's not important right now)

Dan Barnes at the Evening News informs that both wing-back Corey Blackett-Taylor, and top-scorer Jayden Stockley are both missing for Charlton.

This really is a 'must win' game to put a little daylight between us. I imagine that Charlton will be delighted if they can go home with a point.

What happens with Santos? Does he face an automatic ban?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:33 am

KeyserSoze wrote:
After attending the 4-0 thumping win away earlier in the year
4-1. We were losing for half an hour, and IIRC there were some right grumpy-chopses on here

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:36 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:33 am
KeyserSoze wrote:
After attending the 4-0 thumping win away earlier in the year
4-1. We were losing for half an hour, and IIRC there were some right grumpy-chopses on here
Ah yes, my apologies, clearly I spend too much time on BWFC forums with '4-0' on the brain.

Still very much in the 'thumping' category though. :D
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:46 am

No problem. If I had more time it might be interesting to look back at the thread for that. But i don't, so never mind.

Quick thoughts. Wouldn't surprise me if Dempsey or Sadlier, or even both, start tonight. Sexy Kieran killed them down there but he's now been withdrawn at half-time in two successive away games; might he be saved for Oxford on Saturday?

More widely: we can now start to think about "starters" and "finishers" with three players brought on for specific reasons (and, with a fair wind, three other lads told to expect 60 minutes and a breather if all goes to plan). For example, feels to me like Dempsey might be a good starter - lead the press, run them ragged for an hour - and Morley can replace him as a finisher, spending the last half-hour passing into the gaps left as the oppo pour forward in fruitless chase of a game we're winning.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:59 am

I assume we'll be able to get Santos' red card rescinded before the match tomorrow? Would be unbelievably unfair if he were forced to miss out due to a terrible decision which will inevitably be overturned.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:03 pm

Just seen the Marc Iles article where he's confirmed we will be appealing. The appeal will surely be heard in time for Santos to be made available.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 11:18 am
KeyserSoze wrote:

I was surprised to see that Charlton are level on points with us.
A crack at The Addicks. Lovely.

Not just points that we're level on - our records for the season so far are basically identical, even down to goal difference (+4). The only thing separating us is that we've scored three more (and conceded three more too, but that's not important right now)

Dan Barnes at the Evening News informs that both wing-back Corey Blackett-Taylor, and top-scorer Jayden Stockley are both missing for Charlton.

This really is a 'must win' game to put a little daylight between us. I imagine that Charlton will be delighted if they can go home with a point.

What happens with Santos? Does he face an automatic ban?
One game ban depending on appeal.

You never know with the authorities but I'd be v surprised if it wasn't overturned. Photos seem to show it didn't even hit his arm but even if it did it was never handball in a million years. Leathered at him from 5 yards away and his arm was right by his side. A proper dreadful decision.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:31 pm

Tuesday, but no pancakes please. Even Steven's on points and a chance to move on from Saturday's debacle. Back on the big pitch and a chance for the new boys to show their mettle. Surely even the most biased Bolton haters, after seeing the replays of Santos's chest/chin ball can't see his ban holding weight? Surely The powers that be (refs and above) will accept we were unfairly treated and the sending off cost us a goal....surely....well, in an ideal world.

Anyway, we'll have to take what comes and get on with it. A classy 3-0 would be nice...
COME ON YOU WHITES.... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:33 pm

If I recall correctly, the very act of appealing suspends the suspension. So even if the appeal isn't heard today or tomorrow, Santos would still be available tomorrow night. Could be wrong...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:56 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:09 pm
Photos seem to show it didn't even hit his arm but even if it did it was never handball in a million years. Leathered at him from 5 yards away and his arm was right by his side. A proper dreadful decision.
Indeed - not even a pengy from what I've seen. Two ridiculous decisions rolled into one.

Still, even if the authorities do overturn it, we still had to play the last 20 minutes without our main CB - a period in which Morecambe scored.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:00 pm

How do they decide if it’s overturned? Doesn’t look like a pen to me, it certainly wasn’t deliberate. Is that enough? Or are they going to cite the poor quality of the footage?

Anyway onto tomorrow, I think Dempsey will start over Morley and possibly Dad Bod or Baka for Lee again. Hopefully Jones will be back in as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:04 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:33 pm
If I recall correctly, the very act of appealing suspends the suspension. So even if the appeal isn't heard today or tomorrow, Santos would still be available tomorrow night. Could be wrong...
If true, it's a risk in itself – as Oxford away is probably a harder game than Charlton at home (not that we're taking anything lightly etc and so on) - but it's one we have to take. Just makes it doubly annoying if the appeal is rejected.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:56 pm
even if the authorities do overturn it, we still had to play the last 20 minutes without our main CB - a period in which Morecambe scored.
Not unlike last February at ours, when they persuaded the ref to send off Maddison and scored a thoroughly undeserved equaliser 10 minutes later with their only on-target effort of the evening.

Add in the red they got at theirs in April when their lad kicked Dapo, and it's a spicy wee affair alright, even before we stray outwith the oblong.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:06 pm

Really hoping this is a purely football football thread and we remember this game for all the right reasons.

We can beat anyone in this division now and we look like a united and organised team. The actual football against Morecambe wasn't great, but it was the worst possible environment for our style of play and you have to expect that being back on the expansive UniBol pitch in (hopefully) better weather will let us do what we do.

Their visit to Pompey was their only away win in their past 5 attempts, so hopefully we can hear the annoying kids sing "everywhere they go" again.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:17 pm

I hope Jones is back for this. Aimson put in a credible performance on Saturday but Jones is first choice.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:17 pm
I hope Jones is back for this. Aimson put in a credible performance on Saturday but Jones is first choice.
I wonder if Aimson is slightly better suited to replace Santos than Jones: spare man in the middle. Unless a wrong is righted, we might soon find out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:06 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:53 pm
I wonder if Aimson is slightly better suited to replace Santos than Jones: spare man in the middle. Unless a wrong is righted, we might soon find out.
Yes, I think is the answer.

Aimson doesn't understand the wide role as we want it to be played. As a defender he is fine, but his third-man running isn't there and his distribution is unlikely to ever be good enough in attacking positions.

We knew we'd get here, though. Both our back up centre backs are better suited to that central role, either because of style or age.

It's a puzzle for the summer and it may may mean we'd be better off reverting to the back four for some games when we have to rotate the defence.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:23 pm

Talk seems to be Jones was rested Saturday after a small pain in his leg. If Santos ban doesn't apply ,and it will surely be reversed after review, then we should be fully strong against Charlton.

Just for interest sake, exactly how many unfair decisions have we had overturned in the last couple of years?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:41 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 07, 2022 6:23 pm
Talk seems to be Jones was rested Saturday after a small pain in his leg. If Santos ban doesn't apply ,and it will surely be reversed after review, then we should be fully strong against Charlton.

Just for interest sake, exactly how many unfair decisions have we had overturned in the last couple of years?
4 reds rescinded, if you include the one the manager got.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 07, 2022 10:11 pm

Iles saying Jones is fit for tomorrow