Addicks in the 'Bok: Wanderers v Charlton (H), Tuesday 8th Feb, 8pm KO

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Addicks in the 'Bok: Wanderers v Charlton (H), Tuesday 8th Feb, 8pm KO

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:08 pm

The four teams directly below the play-offs all won (us, Ipswich, Plymouth, Sheff Wed).

Apart from Rotherham, who won at Wimbledon, the top six had an awful night: Wigan L, McDons D, Sunderland L, Wycombe D.

Top half's tightening up... who's got the arsehole for it?
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 22.09.03.png
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 22.09.03.png (66.89 KiB) Viewed 1116 times
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:09 pm

I was hoping that we got the second goal without them scoring so that MJ could be subbed and have a rest. Sooner or later his battery is going to run flat. Or he'll get injured.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:13 pm

Well battled, if not necessarily well played. We wouldn't have won that before January. Charles is great. We've been in desperate need of a player with his qualities for years.

Saturday is now colossal. Win that and we're well and truly in the mix.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:17 pm

One particularly encouraging aspect of late is that when we've had to find a goal, often late on, we've found one each time. Shrewsbury Town, Morecambe, and now tonight.

That's what good teams do. I hope we can keep it up.

Spartan2
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Spartan2 » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:20 pm

Not a good performance at all but lovely to win playing poorly. Some moments of individual quality with moments of head scratching ineptitude. Both teams seemed to lack energy. Our passing for a passing team was awful, everyone was guilty of it.

I'm yet to see anything from Dempsey that suggests he's even decent at this level, dreadful so far. Hopefully he's just adjusting.

I've been a harsh critic of Declan John and I'm still not convinced but credit where it's due, he did play well today, no doubt about that.

Dion. If we bought an 8M striker from a top championship side I wouldn't expect any better performances than what Dion is showing so far, it's incredible.

In Dapo and Dion we now have two 20 goal a season strikers upfront who also work hard for the team.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 pm

We’ve still got a lot to do…16 games left, need to win at least say ten for play offs? We’ve got Wigan, McDons, Oxford away.Wednesday, Plymouth at home from those above us. Plus Accrington, Portsmouth at home, and Burton away which are all tough fixtures to me.

But yeah…isn’t it good to just enjoy it again? Even when we went 1-1 tonight I still thought we’d have enough to in us to get the second.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:34 pm

It was a game of fine margins and we came out on the right side of them. Mainly because we defended well and they made a few mistakes we exploited.

If we are honest it was not a game either side particularly deserved to win.

I think our resilience is far better and that’s why we’ve came away with the points.

Plenty you can pick at on the performance. But you can’t play well every week.

Thought Dempsey looked a bit lost and that left Williams and Morley a lot to do as Kyle basically had no impact on the game. Dapo also looked like the weekends events had taken their toil, looked mentally and physically off the pace. Thought Evatt a bit slow to change it especially Dapo,

The defence did well - I mean Charlton weren’t too threatening and all but we did look solid albeit one lapse to concede but I think midfield had lost the plot that period.

Charlton defensively did the homework and closed Fossey off and the triangles we play round him and worked very hard to stop Jones getting forward so did nullify us a bit. We struggled for an outlet and I think midfield looked the most shaky it has as a result. Charles was superb as was Trafford. He scored but not sure on Aimson. Struggled for me.

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:02 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:57 pm
Made hard work of that.

Great result.

Aimson MOTM.
Think that's not a bad shout. I had it between him and Charles and good show from Traf & Santos mind we could have had 4 from Morley's free kicks.

Quite a few absentees playing tonight...Still 3 points, we'll have 'em thanks
Morley's free kicks were a revelation. Reminded me of Ward Prowse.
With coaching and experience he could go a long way
What goes around may still come around

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:23 pm
We’ve still got a lot to do…16 games left, need to win at least say ten for play offs? We’ve got Wigan, McDons, Oxford away.Wednesday, Plymouth at home from those above us. Plus Accrington, Portsmouth at home, and Burton away which are all tough fixtures to me.

But yeah…isn’t it good to just enjoy it again? Even when we went 1-1 tonight I still thought we’d have enough to in us to get the second.

More than ten wins needed, I think. Fag packet maths - Wycombe are on 1.77 ppg, so will finish on about 81pts. That means we need 40 from a possible 48. Obviously, it won't be that straightforward, but I'd have thought at least 12 wins from 16 will be required.

But, DSB will come along now with his facts & data to explain why I'm wrong. :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm

Dion Charles. What a man. Poor team performance but he dragged us through. What a signing he's been.

Chuffed for Aimson. We asked him to do a job that I don't think he's suited for but played well and deserved his goal.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

bw@bw
Reliable
Reliable

Post by bw@bw » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:49 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:08 pm
The four teams directly below the play-offs all won (us, Ipswich, Plymouth, Sheff Wed).

Apart from Rotherham, who won at Wimbledon, the top six had an awful night: Wigan L, McDons D, Sunderland L, Wycombe D.

Top half's tightening up... who's got the arsehole for it?
Screenshot 2022-02-08 at 22.09.03.png
Based on the points per game so far, it could take nearly 80 points to get into the playoffs this year- Much more than previous years.
We need at least 3 teams to stumble - its not just the top 6 we need to pass- Ipswich and Sheff Wed are on decent runs.

Still, apart from Rotherham, nobody is on a better run than us at the moment. We have to keep winning.
Oxford on Saturday is crucial
What goes around may still come around

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:56 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 9:57 pm
Made hard work of that.

Great result.

Aimson MOTM.
He was excellent first half, had a shaky spell then finished strong and won it. Brilliant.
I'd be feeling hard done to if I were a Charlton fan, but who cares? They looked decent though.
Missed Kieran Lee, wasn't impressed with midfield generally and it bypassed Dempsey a bit, but early days for him. Williams off it 2nd half I thought.
Love winning when we don't deserve it, especially with that cheeky chappie Trafford on the wind up! 😁
All hail Dion Charles for my MOTM though. Massive fan of the lad.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:59 pm

Trafford sounds like he's improving game on game and is already better than Dixon will ever be. He's also light years away from Crellin. If he continues his imrpovement there maybe a chance to sign him again on a season long loan for next season.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:04 pm

Also they looked like they had really done their homework and nullified our threats in Dapo and Fossey, but you just can't nullify Charles. Still we found a way.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:17 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Feb 08, 2022 10:48 pm
More than ten wins needed, I think. Fag packet maths - Wycombe are on 1.77 ppg, so will finish on about 81pts. That means we need 40 from a possible 48. Obviously, it won't be that straightforward, but I'd have thought at least 12 wins from 16 will be required.

But, DSB will come along now with his facts & data to explain why I'm wrong. :D
ha! What you say sounds, well, sound. It may be too big a task to get above the dots. But having a right good go at it can’t help lift the mood round the place for a promotion tilt next season. That possibility might be enough to see us retain players like Dapo, Foz and Traf - and hopefully have a summer recruitment campaign as good as the winter ones have been.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 08, 2022 11:22 pm

Well, I have to say a draw would have more accurately reflected the game, but there are plenty games from which we've deserved something and have walked away with nowt. Plenty of players just couldn't get into their stride tonight, especially Fossey and Dempsey. What an absolute feck* Charles must be to play against though. Trafford excellent again. Perfect positioning, flawless handling, a vital save late on and some commendable shithousery. A centre backs headed goal from a set-piece. First one since..... Beavers? Wheater? Anyone? I know it's all worked out well in the end but I for one was really looking for Evatt to make changes on 60 mins which is when they really started to press us deep. Still, you know?! 😎
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:14 am

A few did well. Charles easily MotM, which tells you everything about how good he was given Williams put in a display that was worthy of that award most other days. Aimson played well, but was targeted for traps due to his lack of a left foot.

We won that through work rate and one bit of genuine quality from Morley. Santos was imperious and given his recent displays I will now add "as always" to that. I've seen Charlton fans describing him as a "Rolls Royce" more than once tonight, so well done to him.

As Insane said, Dempsey wasn't at the races. He looked like he was overthinking and trying to remember patterns and triggers. It'll come for him once that stuff becomes automatic and he can just work.

Trafford is now officially good.

All in all, I liked it. We were not good. Nowhere near our levels. We still controlled 2/3 of the game and got the 3 points.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Feb 09, 2022 1:13 am

I put this together last week after the Cambridge game. Presented without comment

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:38 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:14 am
A few did well. Charles easily MotM, which tells you everything about how good he was given Williams put in a display that was worthy of that award most other days. Aimson played well, but was targeted for traps due to his lack of a left foot.

We won that through work rate and one bit of genuine quality from Morley. Santos was imperious and given his recent displays I will now add "as always" to that. I've seen Charlton fans describing him as a "Rolls Royce" more than once tonight, so well done to him.

As Insane said, Dempsey wasn't at the races. He looked like he was overthinking and trying to remember patterns and triggers. It'll come for him once that stuff becomes automatic and he can just work.

All in all, I liked it. We were not good. Nowhere near our levels. We still controlled 2/3 of the game and got the 3 points.
I thought Santos had a few dodgy moments and their goal whilst far from his fault showed his weakness in terms of defending his box. Though Charlton somehow managed to overload the box then. Not that he played poorly. But looking good in periods then switching off does rather hold him back.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Feb 09, 2022 9:13 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 8:38 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:14 am

I thought Santos had a few dodgy moments and their goal whilst far from his fault showed his weakness in terms of defending his box. Though Charlton somehow managed to overload the box then. Not that he played poorly. But looking good in periods then switching off does rather hold him back.
Yeah, I mean you're right, but it holds him back from being a Premier League defender. At this level you really do not see many/any better centre backs.