Can we Endeavour to solve the Oxford Puzzle? Away to The Uni, Sat 12 Feb, 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we Endeavour to solve the Oxford Puzzle? Away to The Uni, Sat 12 Feb, 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:10 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:58 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:00 am

Evatt's saying now that Amaechi could play one of the wing back positions or even play as a number 10. Interesting.
From my somewhat limited knowledge (these days) of positional play, Ameachi as number ten to Bod's Striker might give Dapo and Charles a needed rest toward season end when we see where we lie. ( Evatt may even play Bod and Charles up front today ?) Ameachi though, would have to prove himself fully (and continually) fit. Kachunga could probably do the box-to-box job as well? Just don't move Fossey out of the right wing back slot on pain of a giant sulk.. :D .
I suspect Fossey will need to be rested at some point. He can't ever have played this many games in his career and he gets up and down a lot. He's not playing badly but we need to make sure we don't break him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Can we Endeavour to solve the Oxford Puzzle? Away to The Uni, Sat 12 Feb, 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:25 pm

Here's the minutes played since the start of this Sat-Tue-Sat run. We've been rotating the front three in-game but not really resting the back seven much, barring Jones and Lee (plus Johnston's illness). I'm not advocating mass changes but I will be surprised if we don't see the wingbacks, MJ and Morley taking a break one by one.
Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 12.21.41.png
Screenshot 2022-02-12 at 12.21.41.png (130.26 KiB) Viewed 4284 times

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:46 pm

He looked a bit jaded (as well as well marshalled) midweek, so wouldn't be agin a "feet-up." But seriously, 23 year olds can only stretch 6/7 games without a nap? How does Alexander-Arnold go on?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:15 pm

Placard on the Bolton News Buff Podcast header "Is someone boiling a kettle? Love it... :lol:

Not a member of Bolton News, so I can't respectfully remind Burnden Billy that the Green Final was the Saturday football paper long before The Buff.I'm old enough to know.. :D
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:16 pm

I'd be instincively against Xav at wing-back, to be honest. I'm not aware of him playing there before and it smells of fitting him in for fitting him in's sake.

I note Evatt mentioned Sadlier could play there as well, and I suppose he probably could, but his reluctance to play at wing-back was one of the reasons he gave for chosing to leave his previous club.

If we need to rest players, I think I'd prefer us to revert back to a back four than opt for square pegs in round holes.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:03 pm

Baka in for Dapo, Lee replaces Dempsey, and Johnston returns in favour of Aimson. Otherwise, we're unchanged.

Xav's on the substitutes' bench, the reserve goalkeeper isn't.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:04 pm

I'm happy enough with all the above.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:04 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:03 pm
Baka in for Dapo, Lee replaces Dempsey, and Johnston returns in favour of Aimson. Otherwise, we're unchanged.

Think I would rather a keeper be on the bench instead of Baps.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:07 pm

knobpolisher wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:04 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:03 pm

Think I would rather a keeper be on the bench instead of Baps.

Fair comment.

I wonder what's statistically more likely - two of the three centre-backs having to be replaced or the goalkeeper getting sent off/injured?

Probably the latter.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:33 pm

Especially when MJ can cover a lot better then an outfielder in net. It's proper thick. But if that's the worst thing about Evatt I'll live with it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:38 pm

Personally, I'd have liked to see Dadi starting before Bakayoko, but that's probably a bit risky, Baka's proving his worth at the moment. That's a strong looking bench right now.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:43 pm

We looked tired, jaded and out of sorts in midweek and I have an awful feeling about this one as a result. As usual, I'd take a point away from home.I think IE has set us up to keep this tight for 65 minutes, then hit them with Dapo. let's hope the gameplan doesn't get blown out of the water early doors!

Log burner roaring, stream ready to go and biscuits opened.......
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:55 pm

Intermittent participation from me this afternoon as we've got family visiting. This does mean however that the kettle will be seeing more use :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:57 pm

No word from Bluey. It looks like I might have donate to the club again. These two games a week will send me broke.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:59 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:15 pm
Placard on the Bolton News Buff Podcast header "Is someone boiling a kettle? Love it... :lol:

Not a member of Bolton News, so I can't respectfully remind Burnden Billy that the Green Final was the Saturday football paper long before The Buff.I'm old enough to know.. :D
The kettle is getting famous :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 12, 2022 2:59 pm

Interesting choice of line-up, can't have too much fault with it given how we performed on Tuesday.

Fresh legs coming in. Suspect Evatt's being nice and giving Baptiste a spot on the bench just in case we get two injuries at the back. Personally I suspect we would be better having MJ drop into the back line as cover and having Dixon on the bench instead of Baptiste.

Looked a bit suspect this season so to see him on the bench as an option is surprising. Much better than not having involved I suppose. Might as well use the entire squad if we can.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:00 pm

COYW

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:07 pm

Too easy by Morley for their great opportunity. Done on the throw in and not strong enough on the block. Hopefully thats his wakeup call.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:08 pm

COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:10 pm

Not the ideal start. We look asleep.