Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:34 pm

Yep, agreed. No need to be knee jerk about tonight - it wasn’t Fleetwood bad. We don’t know who needs resting - assuming we can get Morley, Charles, Jones back in on Saturday we should be much better. Still plenty to play for.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:43 pm

Realistically, this is a horrible league.I was never a World Cup class footballer, but I've played in better games than some in this league.First half, we got bullied and penned in by determined hoofers playing long throws and head tennis. Can't blame Burton for what refereeing standards have slipped to, but even Rugby, a much rougher/tougher game, plays mercilessly by strict rules. Where were the rules tonight? That wrestling match with Fossey was pure farce as was the dismissed penalty claim. These things lose games and points. The "groundsmen" prodding at that treacle pudding with toasting forks at half-time made me snort aloud.

Okay, I'm peeing in the wind and my knees are tap-dancing, the pitch was Animal Farm standard, but to be three goals down after 15 minutes had to be seen to be believed and I bet more than a few score observer eyebrows were raised in disbelief. We need to obliterate this one from memory very quickly.

And so to bed, perchance not to dream...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:46 pm

Personally don’t think Evatt can be blamed for the changes.

We didn’t do our jobs. We got bullied.

Didn’t stand up when we needed to.

0-0 at half time and we win that with our subs. But first half we needed to fight, grind it out and take the opportunities to play in behind as the game went on.

When you lose all your aerial battles and are so weak in the box you will struggle. But Dapo and Charles starting wouldn’t have stopped the three goals.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:52 pm

I thought we got the marking scheme wrong and I will blame Evatt and his staff for that, but I don't think he got the team wrong - other than that everything is always wrong if you lost.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:55 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:52 pm
I thought we got the marking scheme wrong and I will blame Evatt and his staff for that, but I don't think he got the team wrong - other than that everything is always wrong if you lost.
Team picked was equipped to deal with set plays. We just didn’t. They outjumped us. Outmuscled us.

I don’t think Trafford helped and his weakness is definitely in that area.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:23 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:55 pm
Team picked was equipped to deal with set plays. We just didn’t. They outjumped us. Outmuscled us.

I don’t think Trafford helped and his weakness is definitely in that area.
We saw that the previous game when he came and dropped one.

Did it again tonight, though I couldn't tell if it was booted out of his hands.

He's not great with some of his decisions and he's not a top shot-stopper for this level yet either, but he's very good generally for his age.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:26 pm

To give a bit of context I've been more comfortable with Traf in nets than Dixon, overall....

Just listened to the post match interviewer, I think we should offer the job to Insano in the transfer window. That'd liven them up a bit.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:32 pm

Positives:

Sadlier covered a lot of ground, was tidy and would probably have been more so on a better pitch.

Dad Bod grew into it, got an assist, showed he can run and has quality on the ball.

Dempsey also grew into it and started to run things for us around the centre circle, which was important. Still nowhere near his dynamic, ball-winning best, but then Charles wasn't a phenomenon in his first couple of games either. I live in hope.

Dion came on, chased things and scored another "how's he got that in?" goal. Our fixtures will hopefully now mean he starts basically every game until the end of the season.

Morley and Jones were fully rested.

That's about it. Very glad I watched that one under a blanket in front of a log fire. I feel for the lads who went.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:36 pm

Oh, and I'm still really glad we got Fossey. A shining jewel amongst the mud.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:37 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 11:36 pm
Oh, and I'm still really glad we got Fossey. A shining jewel amongst the mud.
Yup. Another who lost his man for one of their goals, though.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:28 am

Just watched the highlights, glutton for punishment I guess.
Game plan went out the window when our big lads couldn't match their big lads on set pieces.

Bakayoko for the first not preventing the flick on, Dad Bod for the next two not being effective enough at the far post (alongside Fossey). I'm sure they'll look at this and hopefully learn from it going forward.

I suspect Burton are more accustomed to that level of physicality given the state of their pitch and they used it really well. There's no real excusing that level of defending. Game was lost by the 20th minute mark. Squad rotation didn't help but that's understandable and i'm sure Evatt will trust in them again so no real problem there.

Thankfully that match is not indicative of our side for all games, just a bad day at the office.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:34 am

Referees at this level allow teams to foul players in a way that disproportionately impacts teams like Bolton. When your game is based on speed a ref allowing loads of niggly fouls with no bookings prevents you from building attacks.

I completely agree with how Evatt approaches the game, but that's the reality of playing at this level. Crap pitches and bad referees; but also a philosophy of refereeing that handicaps expansive, quick play.

We'd have lost that game regardless, but in the Championship you'd have seen 4-5 of their lads booked and us open them up a lot more as a result.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:35 am

One thing I do think we did is told our lads not to make tackles in wide areas, in order to avoid giving away set pieces.

It completely backfired. We got into them properly at times in the second half and controlled the game more as a result.

It may have been players being gun shy, but it looked like instructions to me.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:52 am

Set pieces. For all the talk about how bad we are at them, it's really being attacking we've been terrible until tonight. We were shocking defending them the start of last year but we fixed it and have been plenty solid until tonight. Yet tonight with 3 centre backs, 2 6'+ strikers and MJ they just didn't do their jobs.

Take set pieces out and it was a very even game on a dreadful pitch that we probably edged.

But, you know, set pieces count.

3-0 down after 17 minutes with that clogger on a hat trick. Pathetic.

Also, I love Marlon, but anyone who thinks he's close to being our best player is off their head. He's got great attributes, he's a cult hero in the making, and I hope we sign him, but the boy is miles away from the finished article. He has no football brain. Got other things to mean he's a very good player at this level regardless but the boys a space cadet.

But yeah, tough to take much from that beyond we can't defend set pieces like that. Hopefully it's just a bad day at the office. Need 6 points from the next two now.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:10 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 12:52 am
Need 6 points from the next two now.
15 from the next 6, for me. We need to beat MK Dons to reel another team into contention. With one of those really needing to be MK Dons away.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 16, 2022 6:30 am

What shithole grounds with no grass on the pitch do we have left to play at? It’s obviously our Achilles heel. Cheltenham?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 am

Prufrock wrote:
Set pieces. For all the talk about how bad we are at them, it's really being attacking we've been terrible until tonight. We were shocking defending them the start of last year but we fixed it and have been plenty solid until tonight. Yet tonight with 3 centre backs, 2 6'+ strikers and MJ they just didn't do their jobs.

Take set pieces out and it was a very even game on a dreadful pitch that we probably edged.

Also, I love Marlon, but anyone who thinks he's close to being our best player is off their head. He's got great attributes, he's a cult hero in the making, and I hope we sign him, but the boy is miles away from the finished article. He has no football brain. Got other things to mean he's a very good player at this level regardless but the boys a space cadet.

But yeah, tough to take much from that beyond we can't defend set pieces like that. Hopefully it's just a bad day at the office. Need 6 points from the next two now.
Couldn’t disagree more on Fossey. The lad does things at a pace the rest of our side can only dream of. That’s what separates him from the crowd and why he could play at a much higher level than the rest.

The run, cross and control for the winner on Saturday is a prime example. Nobody else in our team can do that.

We know defensively he’s not the greatest but he does enough of a job there. First header is key and we lost way too many of those.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 16, 2022 8:39 am

Well we got to 6 undefeated. We’ll need a double figure run like others seem to manage to drag ourselves into the promotion mix.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:12 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:55 pm

It wasn't just that though, was it? Being outjumped and outmuscled is one thing (OK, two), but it was our catastrophic failure to deal with the second ball which cost us the first and third goals last night. Absolutely statuesque. Appalling. There's no excuse for it.

See;

May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 16, 2022 9:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 16, 2022 7:18 am
Prufrock wrote:

Couldn’t disagree more on Fossey. The lad does things at a pace the rest of our side can only dream of. That’s what separates him from the crowd and why he could play at a much higher level than the rest.

The run, cross and control for the winner on Saturday is a prime example. Nobody else in our team can do that.

We know defensively he’s not the greatest but he does enough of a job there. First header is key and we lost way too many of those.
I know you do because you've got some weird blind crush on him :D

I mean it just isn't true on Saturday. It was a good run and pick out (though if we're being picky which we need to be given the context there was no need for it to be wanged in at shin height. If you're talking "quality" the bit in that move was the ball from Jones. Incisive, inch perfectly weighted. Fossey did his bit well but there was nothing wow about it.

And there are plenty of lads with pace that don't get to the top. His pace makes him a better player but he relies on it too much to be a top player. There was a ball Morley played on Saturday, received from John let it run across his body, blindingly obvious he was looking for the big switch as soon as it went into him. Fossey was stood still, on his heels and didn't twig it was on and set off until the ball was in the air. Ended up giving the Oxford LB a good 8 yard start. And he got there. He looked great and got a good cross in. But even a league up he gets nowhere near that ball because he doesn't have the anticipation.

And you know, he can't defend. See goal 1 last night.

I'm not slagging him, he's an excellent player at this level and I'm glad we've got him, and hope we keep him. I suspect he would probably even be a decent player a league up (though only as a wing back and he'd have to do a lot more defending). But he is miles away from our player with the highest ceiling.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.