Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 14, 2022 8:26 am

Let the kettle drums roll; Brewers vats v Sonic's Kettle. A real anything can happen (we'll win of course) on this night trip down to Staffordshire' Pirelli Stadium.. Just five points separate us from The Brewers, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbank's "tyred" heroes, and we have a creditable roll going right now. Positivity is the call, so COME ON YOU WHITES... .. :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:04 am

One of our games in hand. Of the others in the top 10, only Wigan (Crewe H) and Wednesday (Accy H) play this midweek (next midweek, the last one in this run, is a full schedule).

Winning won’t raise us up the table (unless we do it by five) but it’s now all about relentlessly chewing up the yards. It’s something we can do, something we did last season, and you can see the belief transmitting from those who were here (five of the Oxford-facing XI, another two of the subs plus most of the coaching staff) to the very welcome additions we’ve made since.

Chewing up the yards is also what each player must do. The system demands movement, movement demands fitness, and each man has his limit. I would rest Dion Charles tonight - Dapo is ready to step back in. I would also rest Morley for Dempsey, who looked more comfortable behind the ball as an 8 than further forward as a 10 (that will come with confidence).

Lee’s replacement will be interesting. I know Burton are of the more direct persuasion but I don’t know if they will sit in such a low block as they did at ours (successfully, if only thanks to a hugely arguable offside robbing us of two points which might yet hurt a lot). Presumably our scouts will know and that might affect whether we go 3-4-1-2 or 3-4-3. It’s between Sadlier and Dadi, assuming Baka is fit for at least 60 minutes (he went rather quiet in the second half at Oxford before continuing his terrible habit of scoring vital goals). Whoever doesn’t start may well come on to ask a different question.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Evatt em. Skid marks at the Pirelli. V Burton Albion Away, Tues. 15th Feb.1945.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:35 am

Yeah we’ve got to try and use the squad here and agree that as of now Dempsey doesn’t look like a number 10 to me.

Big call to leave Dion out but I worry about burn out too. An also big call to put Sadlier at number 10 as I think that does significantly change our balance over a more pressing type in Lee or the obviously very very dangerous Dapo. Sadlier is a good player but I suspect hasn’t played that role too often in this sort of system.

I do wonder if it’s the game to go 343 in. Baka or Dad up front. Dapo and Sadlier front three. Dempsey and MJ in midfield.

It’s a big ask for the midfield but I think those two could do it. Sadlier and Dapo given a licence to roam.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:36 am

I didn't get to watch the Oxford game (great write up, btw, DSB), but had been thinking along similar lines regarding rotation. I can see a number of potential benefits to bringing fresh faces into the starting lineup:

- Firstly, and most obviously, it gives a rest to the overworked incumbents and should hopefully mean our energy levels stay high
- As a related point, most other sides do not have the option of bringing in such high quality alternatives, so we would hopefully have an immediate fitness advantage over Burton
- It makes it significantly more difficult for the opposition to prepare for us

So my lineup would be similar to what I think DSB was proposing.

Trafford

Jones Santos Johnston/Aimson

MJ Dempsey

Fossey John

Sadlier

Dad Bod Dapo

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 am

After watching the Oxford game (thrice, at this stage) I'd personally favour being heavy with the rotation.

Charles, Baka, Lee (Achilles), Morley, John and Fossey (Groin) would all get rests.

Dad Bod, Dapo, Sadlier, Dempsey, Gordon and Aimson would all come in.

I expect Evatt to be more sensible than me and only rest a couple. Then rest a couple more for Wimbledon. That maintains the flow better and gets the new players used to everything. I imagine it'll be Dapo and Dad Bod up front with Dempsey in behind and the rest as it was vs Oxford. I do worry for Fossey, though, given he was complaining about his groin at half time and has a history of issues.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:54 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:38 am
After watching the Oxford game (thrice, at this stage) I'd personally favour being heavy with the rotation.

Charles, Baka, Lee (Achilles), Morley, John and Fossey (Groin) would all get rests.

Dad Bod, Dapo, Sadlier, Dempsey, Gordon and Aimson would all come in.

I expect Evatt to be more sensible than me and only rest a couple. Then rest a couple more for Wimbledon. That maintains the flow better and gets the new players used to everything. I imagine it'll be Dapo and Dad Bod up front with Dempsey in behind and the rest as it was vs Oxford. I do worry for Fossey, though, given he was complaining about his groin at half time and has a history of issues.
I’d we are giving Fossey a break I’d put Xav there. Cos why not?

I think the less we mess about with people in this run the better.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:20 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 9:04 am
Winning won’t raise us up the table (unless we do it by five)
Well. We better not be fannying about with it then, eh? :D

On a semi serious note, many of the teams above us have a significant GD advantage at the moment. The 4 in the playoffs are +12, +12, +16 and +17. I'd hate us to be regretting how leaky we were in the first half by missing a place on GD.

Thanks for Oxford match report mate - always a pleasure to read.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 14, 2022 12:04 pm

Here's a thing. We last played Burton away in a 2-2 draw on 10 March 2020. It turned out to be our last game of the season as the rest of the season was written off, and we were relegated to the fourth division, of course.

Here's hoping for a more agreeable outcome this time out. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:20 am

On a semi serious note, many of the teams above us have a significant GD advantage at the moment. The 4 in the playoffs are +12, +12, +16 and +17. I'd hate us to be regretting how leaky we were in the first half by missing a place on GD.

ISTR a similar worry this time last season. Didn’t end up a problem. :D

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:06 pm

Haven’t we never beaten Burton or summat daft? They absolutely robbed us in the home game, time for some revenge.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:18 pm

I'll pull the couch out for this one.

Been busy the past few weeks.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:22 pm

Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:01 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 10:20 am

ISTR a similar worry this time last season. Didn’t end up a problem. :D
Yeah - if you catch them it's often on the basis that their GD has weakened (as they've lost a couple more) and ours has strengthened as we've won a couple more.

This time last year, we were 9 points off 3rd (but sat in 13th place).

The teams that had huge GD advantages to our -6 (at the time), fell away with the exception of the two in front - or at least didn't improve their form - Exeter, Carlisle & Salford were all +12 - +15 and didn't feature on the last day....Crucially, the team that we pipped for third (Morecambe) was on -1. Newport on 8 and Tranmere on 3.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:32 pm

BP & I going to this one. Still have our tickets from the original December date.

If it goes ahead, it'll be a very heavy pitch, so definitely a good reason to rest one or two more than we normally would. However, does Charles necessarily need a rest, given he'd played no footy at all since around last August?

Xav is a good shout to start as wing back and Dempsey, Sadlier and Dad Bod could all start too. Perhaps Aimson in for Santos, to keep them both sharp? Nice problem for Evatt to have.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:49 pm

Just purely observation stuff, but do the opposition defenders set out to sabotage Dapo? almost every game? It just seems they all are working on the "if you can't get the ball, get the man" syndrome. He'd only been on the pitch a few minutes Saturday when he got scythed. The price of being talented I suppose, but it's annoying.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:32 pm
BP & I going to this one. Still have our tickets from the original December date.

However, does Charles necessarily need a rest, given he'd played no footy at all since around last August?
I'd have said that that's a reason as to why he might well need a rest to be honest, Harry. The lad's gone from 0-100 faster than a stabbed rat on the back of no games. We have to rest him up at some point in this Sat-Tues schedule.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:18 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:57 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 1:32 pm

However, does Charles necessarily need a rest, given he'd played no footy at all since around last August?
I'd have said that that's a reason as to why he might well need a rest to be honest, Harry. The lad's gone from 0-100 faster than a stabbed rat on the back of no games. We have to rest him up at some point in this Sat-Tues schedule.
Yeah, I can see that. He's worked his nads off since he arrived and has been bloody magnificent. His contribution to the first goal on Saturday being another example of his graft.

I suppose there must be an optimum point at which a player gets up to full fitness before he's over the plateau and in need of a rest. Dont know they're born these modern footballers :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:19 pm

If wonder if the need to rotate might see us go back to a back 4 in the odd game.

If Fossey needs a rest the obvious option would be to bring Aimson into the back 3, and Geth to RB. Otherwise you're into round pegs and square holes. Can't see Xav at RWB being a good option. But Geth to RB and Xav playing higher is a better fit and not a huge change given how high Fossey plays.

Also conscious that Geth himself is likely to need more rest coming back from a stress fracture. Can only really afford to rotate one of Fossey, Jones, Santos and Johnstone while keeping the shape the same.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:43 pm

I suspect a slip now (and we're likely to get one sooner of later) will bring forth cries of "The Tinkerman cometh" :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 14, 2022 3:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 14, 2022 2:43 pm
I suspect a slip now (and we're likely to get one sooner of later) will bring forth cries of "The Tinkerman cometh" :-)
I guess it’s a question of within reason, and without overly risking player welfare, in a run like this do you just keep going and hope you get lucky with injury and the adrenaline and momentum avoid burn out and you accept that if you aren’t lucky that you aren’t going down anyway.

Or do you try and manage it along the way also accepting that doing so risks losing the momentum of the run you are on.

Last season we didn’t change too much primarily because I don’t think we had too many options and we also had a team that were finding themselves and they were fit.

I suspect this season it’s more of an effort to keep winning as we are playing better teams.

So it’s when, where and how you manage it.

Way I see it is if we lose to Burton or Wimbledon or fail to win either then probably it’s the chance gone given we have then to go to MK away and they are third. So probably worth putting the strongest team we possibly can out and minimising changes for now.

Obviously the balance being that no matter how good a player is if they can’t run you have to pick someone else. But yeah these runs where they work usually coincide with a team able to just keep going.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Feb 14, 2022 5:33 pm

I agree with the majority in that I think some rotation is needed.

Morley, Fossey and Charles are three that I’d definitely be giving a rest to if I’m Evatt.

(I hope it’s on as this will be the first game I’ve been to since Sheffield Wednesday back in October)