New Balls please, but not fifteen Love. V Wimbledon Home,19th Feb.2022 1500 hrs.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: New Balls please, but not fifteen Love. V Wimbledon Home,19th Feb.2022 1500 hrs.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:20 pm

As an open question, are people happy with Izzy as back-up to Fossey (if he stays)?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: New Balls please, but not fifteen Love. V Wimbledon Home,19th Feb.2022 1500 hrs.

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:24 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:14 pm
I'm happy with the back 3. But we need to replace Baptiste and I'd hope a centre back is a big target. Ideally we want a Johnstone/Jones type who has the physicality to play with Santos in a 2. It's a big ask but I think we're in a good place to target it. That gives us the back 4 option. And would push all 3 of the currents. I think Aimson is fine as further cover.

I'd also like an upgrade on Gordon to really push John.

And to retain or replace Fossey and James.

After that we're in the really good place of being pretty well set to add quality where we can but not in "need" territory.

I wonder if, as much as I love him, we might see Sexy Kieran released and another midfielder come in.
I think the decision on Kieran depends on what division we're in next season? :wink:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:26 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:20 pm
As an open question, are people happy with Izzy as back-up to Fossey (if he stays)?
He probably is for Lge1 but IF we do sign Fossey AND another quality RWB/RB player becomes available then Izzy is another one we could probably move on.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm

I'd be reluctant to let Izzy go as he seems a good sort, is happy to play in different positions and could be a good option off the bench. He is also a winger, which we don't have millions of if we revert to a back four (4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3). Whenever we change formation it feels like forever, but history proves otherwise. And personally I'd like us to have the flexibility to do either.

Sounds like none of us are expecting 6 or 8 signings this summer, so maybe now it's quality rather than quantity. That said, I would want us to get a keeper, two centre-backs (ideally one lefty one righty), a defensive midfielder and two full-back/wingback upgrades - possibly three if Foz doesn't return. although I'd hope he will.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:

It would obviously be dependent on financial budgets and also of course which league we might be playing in; I'd have a very different answer if we did pull off consecutive miraculous promotions. He would probably be a satisfactory back-up - he didn't disgrace himself when playing there earlier this season - and I admire his considerable work ethic, but I have quite a poor opinion of his technical ability.

I suppose the answer is yes, mostly because he's positionally versatile, I think it's the likeliest option, and it makes sense to prioritise spending what I presume will be our limited finances in other positions.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:12 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm
Sounds like none of us are expecting 6 or 8 signings this summer
I think I actually am.

Keeper, at least two wing backs, 2 centre halves and at least one in a more forward area just to mix it up would make six.

I think that's the minimum I'd expect us to do regardless ofleague.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:14 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:12 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 5:43 pm
Sounds like none of us are expecting 6 or 8 signings this summer
I think I actually am.

Keeper, at least two wing backs, 2 centre halves and at least one in a more forward area just to mix it up would make six.

I think that's the minimum I'd expect us to do regardless ofleague.
Interesting, especially the forward. Charles, Dapo, Baka, Bod, Kachunga and still one more?

I imagine this is a longer-term conversation than a match thread deserves, so I've posted some thoughts on Contract Expiry.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 4:40 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 3:19 pm
No doubt we'll head back to "we can't afford anyone any better" but.
We should be able to do work in summer.

Obviously we're not currently in a position to throw money at anything, but we're a League One side and improvement will always be possible with good recruitment.

I'm not sure anyone we get in will be hoofing it into the stands before clearing his nose with a grim look on his face, but Evatt and Markham will be looking to improve the 11 as they have tried to in every window (not to state the obvious too much).

As a few have said, we need to retain Fossey to stand still. The old cliche that any window in which you don't improve is one in which you go backwards remains true.
I don't think anyone's suggesting Evatt would (or should) buy the CD you mention. I mean he could buy three forwards and put them in defence if we're playing extremes, but, when the defensive side of their game is exposed, I'm sure people will mention it as a failing. :-) as long as on balance that's not very often, the grumbles won't be very prevalent.

I also think we'll try and bolster which might see a few no-dad exits....

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Feb 20, 2022 6:28 pm

Agree Dempsey had his best game in a white shirt. And there's a proper footballer in Sadlier. Just not sure how we get him in at the moment.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:25 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
I see Isgrove as a direct back-up for Fossey in that neither are there for their defensive capabilities.

The other thing about Isgrove returning is that he'll give us a decent level of emergency cover across a number of positions.

I really don't see him as regaining regular-starter status, but, and on the proviso that he'd be happy with it of course, I have him down as being exactly the sort of squad player we need.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:25 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
I see Isgrove as a direct back-up for Fossey in that neither are there for their defensive capabilities.

The other thing about Isgrove returning is that he'll give us a decent level of emergency cover across a number of positions.

I really don't see him as regaining regular-starter status, but, and on the proviso that he'd be happy with it of course, I have him down as being exactly the sort of squad player we need.
Aye, but we could also say to Fossey run then ragged for 75 and we're going to bring Izzy on in the last 15.... :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:36 pm
Aye, but we could also say to Fossey run then ragged for 75 and we're going to bring Izzy on in the last 15.... :-)[/quote]One quick thing. Much has been made (including but not exclusively by me) of Izzy's lack of assists, but he's never had a Bodvarsson or (often) a Bakayoko to aim for. Just a thought...