Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:51 am

At the very least we should be trying to ensure that some of our key men are not playing the full 90 tomorrow. For instance, I wouldn't want to see Charles playing any more than 60 minutes, and ideally would probably try to limit Jones' time on the pitch as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:53 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:42 am
The difference between Tinkerman and not, I suspect is "win" or "lose"...
Well, in the case of Ranieri v Fergie, it's that plus a faint whiff of xenophobia with a strong undercurrent of Fergielove... but in general, yes, which is why I said if it works you're acclaimed. :mrgreen:
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:42 am
It's not like he hasn't made changes - 3 v Oxford, 4 v Burton, 4 v Wimbledon
Aye. That feels about right for a three-game week. Five would worry me - unless it's for specific reasons (suspension, niggle, tactic) - but even then that's half a team changing. Not ideal when you're trying to instil systems.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:54 am

I think he'll go with an unchanged side but with an eye on getting some early substitutions in if we're fully in control of the game. Obviously that depends on no-one getting injured in training. The only change I could possibly see would be Sadlier for Dapo but we'll find out soon enough.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:55 am

You would think that Lincoln at home, might present a better opportunity than MKD away. Reality is we probably need a minimum of 4 points from the two...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 21, 2022 1:39 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:55 am
You would think that Lincoln at home, might present a better opportunity than MKD away. Reality is we probably need a minimum of 4 points from the two...
If it was just a case of maximising the points we got I'd agree, but I think we're at a stage where we need to be limiting the points our rivals can get too. The classic "6 pointer".

I think we need to win at least two of the McDons(a) Plymouth (h), Sheff Wed (h). Along with pretty much a 100% home record, and plenty wins away too. Easy.

I therefore would be inclined to pick my team for MK Dons and work backwards for tomorrow night. I think MJ has to start on Sat, but he had Sat off completely and so might be able to play tomorrow anyway.

I think I'd be aiming for:

Trafford
Aimson-Santos-Johnstone
Fossey (Jones sub)-MJ-Dempsey-John (Gordon sub)
Sadlier
Dapo (Charles sub if needed, Baka if not)-DadBod

to then pick on Sat:

Trafford
Jones-Santos-Johnstone
Fossey-MJ-Morley-John
Sadlier/Demspey
Dapo/DadBod-Charles
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:10 pm

Not an unreasonable assertion Pru. That said - MKD are currently 12 points in front of us. They play Charlton away, tomorrow so a loss to Lincoln could put us 15 points behind with 12 to play - that's quite the ask. We'd then need to beat them just to stand still. Of course there's plenty of permutations in between. A win v Lincoln and they can only at best remain 12 points in front of us.

I'm sure Evatt will try and find the appropriate balance... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:12 pm

I see that Liam Bridcutt's still out for them. I really liked this lad in the half a season or so in which we had him at our place.

Should theoretically make the midfield battle a little easier for us anyway.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:43 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:12 pm
I see that Liam Bridcutt's still out for them. I really liked this lad in the half a season or so in which we had him at our place.

Yeah wonder if he’s out of contract in the summer? One I’d welcome back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:46 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:43 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Good player, but....Isn't he a bit injury prone?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:02 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Just been having a look. I can't seem to see when his contract expires, however, he signed in 2020 and I'd have thought that two years would seem like the most likely deal available for a 31 year old?

He'll be 33 in May and this season has made only three appearances since the start of October due to a knee injury which hasn't gone at all well, and on which he now needs surgery that's going to keep him out until the end of April.

As much as I liked the guy during his spell with us, is this really where we want to be shopping?
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:05 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:02 pm
As much as I liked the guy during his spell with us, is this really where we want to be shopping?
No. Not even close.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

I think we'd be shopping for a higher calibre of player now.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 4:02 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:46 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:

Just been having a look. I can't seem to see when his contract expires, however, he signed in 2020 and I'd have thought that two years would seem like the most likely deal available for a 31 year old?

He'll be 33 in May and this season has made only three appearances since the start of October due to a knee injury which hasn't gone at all well, and on which he now needs surgery that's going to keep him out until the end of April.

Yeah didn’t realise he’d played so little football. Shame.

Not what we need in terms of injury. But fit and at his best a step up in quality he’d be and also a good fit for an Evatt side.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:36 pm

Evatt has said we will make changes for tomorrow.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:40 pm

Evatt quotes from press conference, tweeted by the official account.
"We’re all good after the weekend with no new injuries to worry about and we’re all systems go for tomorrow."

"It’ll be a tough game. We’ve learned our lessons about this league and how tough it can be. Michael (Appleton) is an excellent manager, his team is well-coached and they’ve had some good results away from home this season. They’re a dangerous side."

[On January recruits] "I’m pleased with them all, they’ve settled really quickly. The lads have made them welcome, the fans have made them welcome and they’re all at a good age where they will only continue to improve."

[On Dion Charles] "He is really enjoying his football and he’s playing with a smile on his face. We told him we’d create chances for him with the way we play and he’s taking those chances so we’re really pleased with him."

[On AFC Wimbledon win] "I was frustrated that we didn’t score more. I’m always frustrated in some way, shape, or form. That’s just the way I am, I’m a perfectionist and I want us to be the best. I’m nit-picking a bit, but I know there’s more to come."

[On Jón Daði Böðvarsson] "I’m delighted for Jón. It’s good for me that all four of our forward players are scoring and in good form. We’ve got Kieran Sadlier to add to that, and Kacha and Izzy aren’t far away from a return to action."

[On Aaron Morley] "I think he has been excellent. He’s understanding what we require, he’s learning all the time and there’s some serious improvement still to come from him."

[On the team's targets] "We know what we need to do and we know what’s required. We’re still a long way from the target we’ve set, but we just need to keep our heads down and just focus on the next game and that is Lincoln."

[On Michael Appleton] "He’s one of the best managers outside of the Premier League and I think for the size of the club, Lincoln overachieved last season. When you lose two players of the quality of Morgan Rogers and Brennan Johnson, it’s not easy."

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:58 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:36 pm
Have you got a link to that Ghost?

I have a feeling he’ll stick with the same team that started on Saturday, hope we’re winning at 60/70 minutes and then make a few changes to rest some legs.

I like to think he’ll stick with the Morley-Dempsey CM partnership at the very least as they looked really good together on Saturday.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:14 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:58 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 5:36 pm

I have a feeling he’ll stick with the same team that started on Saturday, hope we’re winning at 60/70 minutes and then make a few changes to rest some legs.

I like to think he’ll stick with the Morley-Dempsey CM partnership at the very least as they looked really good together on Saturday.
I’d imagine it’s MJ at MK, so yeah, he could start those two tomorrow and sub whoever needs it, whether that’s on the night or with Saturday in mind. I’d be tempted give Sadlier a start and up front’s a tombola where everyone’s a winner. Just hope the wingbacks have another two back-to-back games in them, but then I quite like Pru’s idea of giving Gethin an hour off tomorrow and then bringing him on for Foz.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:24 pm

They've all been on Gym work today and off the grass (Evatt's words) so Storm Franklin had no bearing on anything weather-wise. Bit of Bod-clapping tomorrow to keep the mitts warm? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:56 am

brommers95 wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:58 pm
2:40 onwards in the video DSB posted above, I think.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:58 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:14 pm
I quite like Pru’s idea of giving Gethin an hour off tomorrow and then bringing him on for Foz.
Comes with the added bonus of having Aimson in there to help out with Marquis in the air.