Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by sonicthewhite » Sun Feb 20, 2022 7:28 pm

Well it's another midweek game but this time instead of being on the road it's on the wide expanse of the UniBol. Blackburns distant cousins of the six fingered variety roll in to town hoping to put one over the Mighty Whites. Lincoln are not a bad club and have shown a lot of mettle in recent years to be where they are. Desperately ulucky to miss out on promotion to the Champo in previous seasons this year see's them not doing as well as they would expect. On paper we should win this but as they got a weekend off due to the postponement of their clash v Fleetwood they should be well rested and chomping at the bit. They have some good players and are not to be taken lightly but I predict a 3 - 1 to us and bragging rights in the Sonic household over the son-in-law and grandchildren :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 3:54 am

Lincoln will be better than the Wombles were, but this game is purely about our levels.

If we play as we should they can't win this one. The quality differences are too high, even if they get their tactics right.

We either show up or we don't. If we don't they will cause us real issues. If we do they're screwed. I expect us to show up.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:36 am

What team will be picked? Some real selection issues all over.

Does Jones stay in - is he up to it yet? Does MJ come back?

And does Sadlier get a start?

We have basically three forwards roles with Dapo, Baka, Dad, Charles, Sadlier and to a lesser extent at this stage Xav all fighting for them.

Perm three of those.

Allardyce always used to claim that 5 fresh pairs of legs was optimal for midweek games, so we could in theory do that. But change a winning team? Hmm….

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:48 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:36 am
Does MJ come back?
Not just yet. I really don't see how he can drop Dempsey from that position after Saturday.

We looked more fluid in midfield on Saturday, so I'd stick with that, in the knowledge that William's is available to come on should we need to stiffen things up little.

Though as a general point, I really would like to see Evatt starting to make changes around the hour mark. We have the personnel.
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:51 am

Shy of resting players I think the only question mark is whether they try to avoid Dapo getting his 10th yellow before MK Dons.

It'd be a good game to start Sadlier if Evatt wants the guarantee of having Dapo available away.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:03 am

I can't believe he's been booked 9 times. He's hardly Vinnie Jones.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:05 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:03 am
He is also THE most frequently fouled player across all four division, season-to-date.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:05 am

Just for interest, The Imps, get their name from this legendary statue in Licoln Cathedral. Just thought I'd mention it... :D
Attachments
Lincoln_imp.jpg
Lincoln_imp.jpg (184.48 KiB) Viewed 1244 times
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:06 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:03 am
The two top tacklers in the squad are Dion and Dapo. I suppose having forwards doing that kind of work, whilst superb, is bound to see those bookings tick up.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:24 am

One of those bookings was in a cup.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:24 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:51 am
Shy of resting players I think the only question mark is whether they try to avoid Dapo getting his 10th yellow before MK Dons.

It'd be a good game to start Sadlier if Evatt wants the guarantee of having Dapo available away.
Thought he was two bookings away according to DSB?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:29 am

Lincoln had the weekend off, which makes me think a bit of rotation might not be a bad idea. Without being privy to the player fitness data it's hard to say who we should take out of the team, but Sadlier and MJ are both good options to bring in.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:29 am

I would expect DSB to be right on this one.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:38 am

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:29 am
Lincoln had the weekend off, which makes me think a bit of rotation might not be a bad idea. Without being privy to the player fitness data it's hard to say who we should take out of the team, but Sadlier and MJ are both good options to bring in.
With DSB's correction (for which I am grateful) it's down to fitness, yeah.

I don't envisage either Morley or Dempsey needing a rest at this stage and I think Dapo and the front two will be fine as well.

My question marks would be over whether they're still managing Jones and how the wingbacks are holding up. I've no idea, but if we made changes those are where I'd expect them - with the possible exception of just wanting to get Sadlier a start for the sake of getting him fully up to speed. That would strike me as very reasonable and also deserved based on his cameos.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:42 am

We'll shit 'em. 2-0.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:44 am

I think we also have to consider we will want our tip-top team at MK Dons four days later. That should be somewhere in the manager's mind when picking his XI and when he's making his subs. I'm not necessarily expecting this game to be "won" by the hour (if such a thing exists) but we might want to consider giving breathers where necessary.

MK is the end of the nine-games-in-29-days slog. We've got the next midweek off, then we do another Sat-Tue-Sat, then that's it; apart from playing Good Friday and Easter Monday, it's Saturday-only all the way. At that point, it's horses for courses as well as fitness and form. For now, we have to juggle with an eye on the next big obstacle.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:08 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 10:44 am
I think we also have to consider we will want our tip-top team at MK Dons four days later.
Absolutely. Evatt has said he wants horses for courses from now on and that'll play in too.

It's nice to be talking about the best of various good options rather than how to avoid putting out dross.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:15 am

Agree DSB - but there'd be little point saving the "A Team" for MKD, only to lose v Lincoln...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:36 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:15 am
Agree DSB - but there'd be little point saving the "A Team" for MKD, only to lose v Lincoln...
Always, always the concern, the balance, the risk/reward actuarial science.

A few posts back, BWFCi said Sam's maxim was to change half the outfielders ("5 fresh pairs of legs"); personally that would worry me. But by the same token, if we start with the same XI v Dons, Lincoln and MK Dons, that would seem.... foolish.

It's the usual thing. If you make changes and it works, you're acclaimed; if you do and it doesn't, you're defamed. Ferguson changed his team all the time; he changed at least one starter *every single time* for at least 149 games (I can't easily find when the run ends, but The Sun did a piece on the expected 150th). Rarely got called Tinkerman.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:36 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 21, 2022 11:15 am
Always, always the concern, the balance, the risk/reward actuarial science.

A few posts back, BWFCi said Sam's maxim was to change half the outfielders ("5 fresh pairs of legs"); personally that would worry me. But by the same token, if we start with the same XI v Dons, Lincoln and MK Dons, that would seem.... foolish.

It's the usual thing. If you make changes and it works, you're acclaimed; if you do and it doesn't, you're defamed. Ferguson changed his team all the time; he changed at least one starter *every single time* for at least 149 games (I can't easily find when the run ends, but The Sun did a piece on the expected 150th). Rarely got called Tinkerman.
The difference between Tinkerman and not, I suspect is "win" or "lose"...

It's not like he hasn't made changes - 3 v Oxford, 4 v Burton, 4 v Wimbledon