Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by Mar » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:13 pm

Great result, good scoreline and good second half.
Seemed like we were playing in 2nd gear throughout and the subs really upped our attack.

Few players looking like they need a rest, Dapo, Jones and Fossey for example were not their usual reliant selves.

Another step towards the play offs.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:16 pm

We’ve got through it and not played well - looks like Mcdons had an easier ride at Charlton. Bit worried we’ve overworked the wingbacks - hopefully John not out now, and Fossey needs a rest. Might need to go 4 at the back again at the weekend?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:25 pm

Lincoln were a better team than the score suggests, and we played like Coal-Baggers United. Never seen Dapo so lacadaisical. Still, everybody can have a bad night...and we had one but won. Bakayoko is Bruno N'Gotty in striker boots. :lol: On with the next and hope we wake up at the back.Even Dadbod had a touch like Biffo the Bear tonight. Yellow cards is becoming a bit of a worry. Still, on with it. Bring on the next.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:35 pm

Sunderland equaliser in the last minutes makes it 5 pts from the playoffs.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:36 pm

Lincoln did well defensively bottled us up down the right. Personally thought Fossey had a good game though. Always stretches them and looked to play quickly. Too many of ours slowed the game down tonight too often.

Dapo indeed had a night to forget. Dadbod was shocking and looked knackered and John was struggling for the last ten minutes of the first half. We won inspite of not being close to our best. I’d say somewhat fortunate a result but then quality off the bench told.

Not a chance I’d be changing the system Saturday and do wonder why on earth we’d do that. Left wing back a concern but I suspect Gordon will have to do a more defensive minded job if John isn’t there or we go for broke with Sadlier.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 pm

I get the feeling McDons would ruthlessly expose either Gordon or Sadlier at left wing-back. If John's out injured I'd be giving serious thought to a reversion to a back four.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:43 pm

And that ref looked poor. Was it me or did we not get given a single 50/50 in the second half?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm

Sunderland last minute equaliser. fecking Burton!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 pm
I get the feeling McDons would ruthlessly expose either Gordon or Sadlier at left wing-back. If John's out injured I'd be giving serious thought to a reversion to a back four.
They scored 3 against our back 4 last go. Jones, Baps, Johnston and John. Not sure Jones, Santos, Johnston and Gordon fills me with any more confidence than playing Gordon/Sadlier as LWB....

Feels like a tricky decision, whichever way he calls it...

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:53 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
They scored 3 against our back 4 last go. Jones, Baps, Johnston and John. Not sure Jones, Santos, Johnston and Gordon fills me with any more confidence than playing Gordon/Sadlier as LWB....

To clarify, I wouldn't have Gordon or Sadlier at left wing-back or left-back. Nor would I have Johnston at centre-half. Jones, Santos, Aimson, Johnston would be most likely.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:55 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:

To clarify, I wouldn't have Gordon or Sadlier at left wing-back or left-back. Nor would I have Johnston at centre-half. Jones, Santos, Aimson, Johnston would be most likely.
That might be a bit more interesting. No notion what Johnston's like at LB....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:56 pm

I like Gordon but he shouldn't be getting anywhere near this team. If John's not fit, then I'd go with Sadlier.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:04 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:53 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:

We’ve got nothing to lose. Don’t change the system and play a back four like that because it will disrupt our forwards and break what we are doing well.

Sadlier in if John isn’t fit. And if MKD expose us then good on them. But if we go to that sort of a team and lose it would be more frustrating.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:13 pm

Evatt's post match presser. John had a back spasm, which he gets from time to time. Nothing serious...unless he's blagging, didn't sound like it would keep him out weekend...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:20 pm

Was disappointed to see Dempsey make way for Williams before realising that Santos wasn't playing, and understanding that Williams would offer better cover in front of Aimson. He didn't. We basically played with 10. Williams offered neither defensive cover nor attacking support. He just stood in a this central void, chipping in with the odd foul. Poorest game I've seen him have by a long chalk. Dempsey to start on Saturday for me.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:22 pm

“ Declan has got a bit of a back spasm, so we decided to call it quits and not make it any worse,” he explained. “Kieran Sadlier came on and can play so many positions – he has played wing-back at Rotherham, or as a 10, or even a nine. He gives us that option and when he came on he was excellent. It was a really good finish.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... coln-city/

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:59 pm

Switching to a back four against MK Dons would be awful from a tactical perspective.

Evatt cocked-up his midfield shape and selection tonight and it could have cost us, but he made the right changes and got us a win.

Quality told. Lincoln played a decent game and we got lucky that Marquis missed from about 3 yards. We massively missed Santos.

None of it matters. We won. We will play better against MK Dons and if everyone shows up and we put the right 11 out from the start we will beat them.

Tonight was a huge statement. We got everything wrong and still won fairly easily.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:29 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 11:59 pm
Switching to a back four against MK Dons would be awful from a tactical perspective.
Doesn't sound like John will be out. Think it’ll be the usual back three and wingbacks. Some big choices in front of that though. I wonder if it’ll be MJ and Morley behind Dempsey, with one of Dapo and Bod dropping to the bench. Sadlier doing his case no harm either.

I also like that Evatt is happy to change shape within the game, as well as use his bench well. Baka’s minutes-per-goal must be plummeting with his cameo cake-toppers. No bad thing to have good finishers - in both footballing senses of the word.

Add in another set-piece header and another setback overcome and, well, not a bad night. Slightly more tiring than another Wimbledon, but arguably better for morale. We got asked a question and we roared a defiant answer.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:37 am

I don't know what team Evatt will put out. I didn't want MJ to start tonight and it played out as I feared it would. However, Evatt gets most of his calls right and often sees things differently to me - so him not putting out the side I would never bothers me too much.

I'd play Baka with Charles. I'd want Williams to sit more and then it's either Sadlier or Dempsey further up with Morley. If everyone is fit the back 6 (including keeper) pick themselves now. If he's brave then a midfield of Dempsey, Morley and Sadlier would be fantastic; but I expect him to want insurance. Williams owes him a good 90 minutes.

MK Dons are further ahead than us in their tactical work and fluency, but I still think we'll do a number on them.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:41 am

Worthy4England wrote:
nicholaldo wrote:

You're forgetting the critical component of that defeat, Gilks not performing to the level expected. He was great last season but that match he had a mare. Would expect much better in the next match vs Mk