Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 am

Mar wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 pm
I get the feeling McDons would ruthlessly expose either Gordon or Sadlier at left wing-back. If John's out injured I'd be giving serious thought to a reversion to a back four.
They scored 3 against our back 4 last go. Jones, Baps, Johnston and John. Not sure Jones, Santos, Johnston and Gordon fills me with any more confidence than playing Gordon/Sadlier as LWB....

Feels like a tricky decision, whichever way he calls it...
You're forgetting the critical component of that defeat, Gilks not performing to the level expected. He was great last season but that match he had a mare. Would expect much better in the next match vs Mk
I think that's reasonable. But I certainly didn't have Gilks as "the" problem on 1 and 3. He was a problem in a chain of problems. :-)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by nicholaldo » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:09 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:50 am
Mar wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:48 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Feb 22, 2022 10:42 pm
I get the feeling McDons would ruthlessly expose either Gordon or Sadlier at left wing-back. If John's out injured I'd be giving serious thought to a reversion to a back four.
They scored 3 against our back 4 last go. Jones, Baps, Johnston and John. Not sure Jones, Santos, Johnston and Gordon fills me with any more confidence than playing Gordon/Sadlier as LWB....

Feels like a tricky decision, whichever way he calls it...
You're forgetting the critical component of that defeat, Gilks not performing to the level expected. He was great last season but that match he had a mare. Would expect much better in the next match vs Mk
I think that's reasonable. But I certainly didn't have Gilks as "the" problem on 1 and 3. He was a problem in a chain of problems. :-)

I think the problem was probably Baptiste and Johnston in the middle.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:26 am

Either way, sounds hopeful on John being OK. So can't see him reverting to a 4...but you never know. There'd be questions in the House, if he went 4 and got beat. I don't think that would prevent him going 4 if that was he thought was our best chance...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:30 am

Playing Gordon would be like putting a shire horse on a tiara.
Sadlier was great last night, assuming the MK Dons pitch is more the unibol than Burton then I think he’s pushing to start.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 am

Couldn't attend last night unfortunately but just watched the ifollow extended highlights. In the build up to Sadliers goal an Imp goes down on the right hand side when he is robbed of the ball, he then appears to be fatally wounded judging from his reaction but then when he realises play has continued jumps up and runs like the wind. Dear me.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:30 am
:lol: :pray:
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:49 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 am
officer_dibble wrote:
A tiara on a shire horse 🐎 surely.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:53 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 am
Couldn't attend last night unfortunately but just watched the ifollow extended highlights. In the build up to Sadliers goal an Imp goes down on the right hand side when he is robbed of the ball, he then appears to be fatally wounded judging from his reaction but then when he realises play has continued jumps up and runs like the wind. Dear me.
It was another very poor referee last night who initally was very whistle happy. Early in the game he was pulling us up for even the slightest contact which led to various theatrics from the opposition. Then he switched to letting all sorts go before wanting to be the centre of attention again.
The Lincoln lad just got his timing wrong.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:54 am

knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:49 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:48 am
officer_dibble wrote:
A tiara on a shire horse 🐎 surely.
It's a Megson quote that Dibble suitably adjusted.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:00 am

^^ TBF I was struggling to visualise Modric and the badger in the same MF.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 am

Or was that one Veloso (again)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 am

Veloso was the tiara.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:57 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:53 am
knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 am
It was another very poor referee last night who initally was very whistle happy. Early in the game he was pulling us up for even the slightest contact which led to various theatrics from the opposition. Then he switched to letting all sorts go before wanting to be the centre of attention again.
The Lincoln lad just got his timing wrong.
Go on the Lincoln forum and according to them the ref was Bolton biased :D
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 am
Veloso was the tiara.
The actual quote was in relation to the fee that Lisbon were demanding and putting a tiara on a shire horse was in effect meaning that the fee made out he was one of the best players in Europe when he was just a good midfield player.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:22 am

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:31 am

Can't stop laughing at the voice in the background shouting "Shoot! Shoot!" :lol:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:42 am

sonicthewhite wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:31 am
Can't stop laughing at the voice in the background shouting "Shoot! Shoot!" :lol:
There is no voice. It's all in your head. :D

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am
Veloso was the tiara.
The actual quote was in relation to the fee that Lisbon were demanding and putting a tiara on a shire horse was in effect meaning that the fee made out he was one of the best players in Europe when he was just a good midfield player.
I was under the impression that the quote was actually referring to the rest of the team as "shire horses" in terms of their ability, and that Veloso would basically be too good to play amongst them...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:58 am

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am
Veloso was the tiara.
I was under the impression that the quote was actually referring to the rest of the team as "shire horses" in terms of their ability, and that Veloso would basically be too good to play amongst them...
That’s how people understood it. But it wasn’t what was meant.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:06 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 am
That was exactly what it it was.

//"It would get to a point where is that actually improving us or can we do it without affecting ourselves in some other way. "If we'd have bought a certain player that would have cost us absolutely millions, I don't think we're ready for that, it would have been like putting a tiara on a big shire horse. "We're not at that point yet, so we've got to get a squad and a team that is capable of getting results in the Premiership and moving on from there."//