Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:08 pm

What Megson said was that there was no point spending loads on one star player when we needed to invest in multiple positions to make the squad competitive.

That's not an unreasonable position, but it certainly wasn't him saying that the fee was the tiara on the shire horse that was Veloso.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are those Yellowbellies marching over Winter Hill? v Lincoln Home Tues 22nd Feb

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:19 pm

Big man's had another little man: Rico and partner have their second baby boy.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... econd-son/

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:29 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:19 pm
Big man's had another little man: Rico and partner have their second baby boy.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... econd-son/
Congratulations to them both. God bless.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:35 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 am
Veloso was the tiara.
The actual quote was in relation to the fee that Lisbon were demanding and putting a tiara on a shire horse was in effect meaning that the fee made out he was one of the best players in Europe when he was just a good midfield player.
I was under the impression that the quote was actually referring to the rest of the team as "shire horses" in terms of their ability, and that Veloso would basically be too good to play amongst them...
My understanding too. I'd love to know where BWFC-I got that take on it from though.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:39 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:53 am
knobpolisher wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 9:42 am
Couldn't attend last night unfortunately but just watched the ifollow extended highlights. In the build up to Sadliers goal an Imp goes down on the right hand side when he is robbed of the ball, he then appears to be fatally wounded judging from his reaction but then when he realises play has continued jumps up and runs like the wind. Dear me.
It was another very poor referee last night who initally was very whistle happy. Early in the game he was pulling us up for even the slightest contact which led to various theatrics from the opposition. Then he switched to letting all sorts go before wanting to be the centre of attention again.
The Lincoln lad just got his timing wrong.
What, worse then saturdays female one?! :shock:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:51 pm

She was dreadful. Which put her comfortably in the top half of referees we've had this season.

God they're bad.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:24 pm

Wonderful 3 points but against a more clinical side we could easily have been 2 down at half time. Defensively we were making too many errors. We were dominating possession and looking good attacking without causing their goalkeeper to earn a living. Then Jones bad pass and we should have been one down. Later they had some good looks at goal. Aimson did play well but our midfield looked soft and Lincoln played through it. MJ and Dapo were struggling. We were fortunate.

Sadler came on and did well and we looked much better in the 2nd half. Was it MJ ring rust? Dapo has struggled in the last 2 games and looks better accompanying Charles up front.. Dempsey is almost a must start now, but at #10, not sure, better as a #8. Where does Sadler play? Is he a #10. We have to be much tighter defensively against MK Dons.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:58 am
truewhite15 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 11:56 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:59 am
Wed Feb 23, 2022 10:01 am
Veloso was the tiara.
The actual quote was in relation to the fee that Lisbon were demanding and putting a tiara on a shire horse was in effect meaning that the fee made out he was one of the best players in Europe when he was just a good midfield player.
I was under the impression that the quote was actually referring to the rest of the team as "shire horses" in terms of their ability, and that Veloso would basically be too good to play amongst them...
That’s how people understood it. But it wasn’t what was meant.
Aye, ok. You know best. As per.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 23, 2022 1:42 pm

I thought it was a great game for this level with two very good sides. Our quality in the squad is making a real difference now. We had Ameachi on the bench who could quite easily have come on for Fossey (tired) as well. Arguably Evatt might have been better resting for this one at home but who knows.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:51 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:39 pm

What, worse then saturdays female one?! :shock:
Saturday's referee was one of those who absolutely bottled the two (some say three) big decisions she had to make, whilst at the same time was right across the finicky stuff like making sure free-kicks for offside weren't taken from a yard further forward, that kind of thing.

Last night's ref was just poor to the point whereby folk were throwing their arms up in the air and laughing out of shear exasperation.
A guy truly promoted beyond the limit of his capabilities. Definitely far worse than Saturday's ref and, quite honestly, amongst the poorest I've seen (and as has been pointed out, we've seen some badduns).
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 23, 2022 2:53 pm

RE the ref. I was thinking that last night he’s the worst I’ve seen…and then thinking i say this every week now?? The standard seems a lot worse this season. Or do I say that every season?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:02 pm

The ref at Burton was the worst one I can remember, but there's been so many bad ones, I may be doing him a disservice. As Bruce has highlighted- we've had several that will fuss over the position of a throw in, moving ball etc while bottling the bigger decisions.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:14 pm

The ref at Oxford was the worst I could remember... not in terms of "biased against my team", but on several occasions when neither I nor anybody around me could work out what the hell he was thinking.

on another topic: was it Gethin who let their mon go for the goal, as well as giving them a through-ball in the first half? He's been reading his Twitter press :mrgreen:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:17 pm

Aye the one in the first half was a shocker. He got away with a couple of cynical fouls as well - not his best game!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:37 pm

Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:14 pm

on another topic: was it Gethin who let their mon go for the goal, as well as giving them a through-ball in the first half? He's been reading his Twitter press :mrgreen:
Must admit both those were pretty bad for a decent player. Defensively, that's one of our poorest displays with a lot of scrappy stuff. I just didn't feel the normal confidence in dealing with attacks and we might not get that lucky every time. Needs dealing with. Almost everything from their left got through easily and it was the full back rather than Fossey to blame. Again, a side with a decent passing game exploited our weaknesses. Kamikaze blocking, though it worked, isn't good defending. Not our best night by any means. Happy with the result obviously, but a bit relieved we got it.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:38 pm

That was Geth's worst game in a long time.

I've done that thing of writing and deleting a whole post again, because who can be arsed going over gripes?

We saw a lot of players show last night why they don't play at a higher level and what they have to work on to be Championship quality.

Lots of work to do for these lads to get where they want to on a personal level, as well as as a team; but you can see it coming.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:47 pm

Re the Ref.. watched the game again as I wanted to see what the controversial decisions were that we were complaining about.... and to be honest, we have had far worse refs in recent times, not to mention last season. The ref last night didn't seem to be that bad as apart from maybe one or two which I disagreed with, I thought he had a decent game when compared to others we have had.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 5:19 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 4:38 pm
That was Geth's worst game in a long time.

I've done that thing of writing and deleting a whole post again, because who can be arsed going over gripes?

We saw a lot of players show last night why they don't play at a higher level and what they have to work on to be Championship quality.

Lots of work to do for these lads to get where they want to on a personal level, as well as as a team; but you can see it coming.
Mate, it's a forum, go for it

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 3:02 pm
The ref at Burton was the worst one I can remember, but there's been so many bad ones, I may be doing him a disservice. As Bruce has highlighted- we've had several that will fuss over the position of a throw in, moving ball etc while bottling the bigger decisions.

Same for me too. However, in terms of ineptitude he was outdone by the lino on the touch line in front of us. He didn’t flag for anything using his own volition over the whole course of the game!