Where will we finish?

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

What position will Bolton finish in 2021/22?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 22, 2022 7:55 pm

1 (C)
No votes
2 (P)
4%
3 (PO)
No votes
4 (PO)
No votes
5 (PO)
8%
6 (PO)
21%
17%
38%
8%
4%
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
No votes
19-21
No votes
22-24 (R)
No votes

Total votes: 24

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Where will we finish?

Post by brommers95 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 12:18 am

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:00 am

A Super-computer weighs in! (TL:DR - 10th on 70 points)

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... rcomputer/

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:13 pm

Anyone know when might we expect to hear about any punishment for Charles’ Twitter indiscretions?

All gone very quiet on that front but a ban for him could seriously hinder any playoff aspirations.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:15 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:00 am
A Super-computer weighs in! (TL:DR - 10th on 70 points)

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/19 ... rcomputer/
Balls to that super-computer, which is now at lest one round out of date and, as it gives Sunderland a 31% chance of making the play-offs to our 18%, is clearly off its head. What we're all waiting for round here is the update from Barnet's Form Guide Spreadsheet. So here goes...

We're not quite making the play-offs. Probably. But Sunderland sure aren't.

Extrapolating every top-11 team's last-6 form over their remaining games, we'll get to 77pts - 2pts shy of 6th-placed Oxford.
On last-8 form, it's almost too close to call: we reach 79.5pts (7th), Ipswich are 79.6pts (6th). (I know you can't get fractional points. Just roll with it.)
On last-10 form, we sail to 81pts and not just the play-offs but 5th, there to face Plymouth.
On last-12 form, though, we only make 76pts and thus finish 8th, although still within 2.8pts of the play-offs' bottom team, Sheffield Wednesday.

And there's the caveat. Wednesday have to come to ours, as do Plymouth and Pompey. I'll keep watchign the numbers, cos it passes a minute, but the more we win the better our chances - especially if we're beating rivals.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:25 pm

https://www.worldfootball.net/table_cal ... eague-one/

Sir could have his very own go, if he wanted. Of course we finished ahead of Sunderland. in 9th on 78 points. So yes, I agree the Supercomputer knows nowt. :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:25 pm

Sir could have his very own go, if he wanted. Of course we finished ahead of Sunderland. in 9th on 78 points. So yes, I agree the Supercomputer knows nowt. :-)
I'll bookmark it for later. I still think another nine wins will do it, especially if some of them are 6-pointers. What fun to find out.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
A Super-computer weighs in!
The Met Office also own a 'Super Computer'.

Just sayin', like. 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:47 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:36 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

I'll bookmark it for later. I still think another nine wins will do it, especially if some of them are 6-pointers. What fun to find out.

I think it'll require a point or two more than nine wins. But, as you say, it will be fun until it's mathematically impossible. Crucial we don't lose on Saturday, otherwise, assuming we lose at the Pie Eaters, we'd have to win every other game (maybe get away with one draw).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:00 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Just sayin', like. 😉
Is this a reference to the Fish event? That supercomputer had about 20% of the computational power of a smartphone today...I'd be surprised if it could've found the Bay of Biscay if it'd had been plugged in on the beach....

Their new one is quite a beast, but if the algorithm's shoite, it'll just get the wrong forecast in a fraction of the time.... :-)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Just sayin', like. 😉
Is this a reference to the Fish event? That supercomputer had about 20% of the computational power of a smartphone today...I'd be surprised if it could've found the Bay of Biscay if it'd had been plugged in on the beach....

Their new one is quite a beast, but if the algorithm's shoite, it'll just get the wrong forecast in a fraction of the time.... :-)
No, it's a reference to their brand new one which still couldn't tell you what the weather was doing even if it was putting the fecking bins out.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 8:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 7:59 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Just sayin', like. 😉

No, it's a reference to their brand new one which still couldn't tell you what the weather was doing even if it was putting the fecking bins out.
Oh. The good news is, it's a lot quicker at getting the wrong forecast, which should give them more opportunity to look out of the window and check. It's very shiny.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:28 am

brommers95 wrote:
Wed Feb 23, 2022 6:13 pm
Anyone know when might we expect to hear about any punishment for Charles’ Twitter indiscretions?

All gone very quiet on that front but a ban for him could seriously hinder any playoff aspirations.
I don't. But I have just seen this new post from @TheFootballLaw about Marc Bola, earlier in the season. It's somewhat dry and I haven't got time to read it, what with being about to start a nine-hour shift on a European news desk. Anything happening?

https://www.sports.legal/2022/02/the-fa-v-marc-bola/

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:52 am

Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:28 am
brommers95 wrote:

I don't. But I have just seen this new post from @TheFootballLaw about Marc Bola, earlier in the season. It's somewhat dry and I haven't got time to read it, what with being about to start a nine-hour shift on a European news desk. Anything happening?

'the Player was 14 years old... ' Yep, get him hanged. Dear me!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:55 am

brommers95 wrote:

Maybe a three game ban for Charles, but given how slow moving the relevant authorities seem to be, I would hazard that this is most likely to only be imposed next season.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:22 am

brommers95 wrote:

He's been given a warning and has to attend an educational programme following the decision of an independent regulatory panel.

Headline conclusions seem to be:

- the FA don't seem to know what they're doing in all this. Their guidance needs to be updated on the defences open to minors (who was it's drafted seem to have fewer defences than adults)

- players should be charged under the rules at the time. The key date seems to be 2020 when the rules changed to include a minimum sanction of 3 games for this aggravated written offences.

- The FA were criticised for even bringing the charge at all.

I think it's the right decision in this case. To ban him now for a single tweet he sent when he was 14 would be incredibly harsh.

For Dion I think it's less clear cut. He's under the old rules so I think no minimum sanction. But there were several tweets, over a period of time, want running up until he was 17 I think.

The guidelines had different mitigating factors for those aged 12-15.

I still think he'll get a ban. But god knows when.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:55 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:22 am

I think it's the right decision in this case. To ban him now for a single tweet he sent when he was 14 would be incredibly harsh.
Every time I read/hear of something a fourteen year old did, I mentally transport myself back to when I was that age: The results are not always encouraging.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:02 am

Worthy4England wrote:

75 points would have got you a play-off place in every one of the last ten seasons. Will it be different this season? Possibly but you'd be very unlucky to get 78 and still have eight teams ahead of you.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:50 am

Gudnib wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:02 am
Worthy4England wrote:

75 points would have got you a play-off place in every one of the last ten seasons. Will it be different this season? Possibly but you'd be very unlucky to get 78 and still have eight teams ahead of you.
Indeed it would! :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:07 pm

Not nearly as much fun this week to fill in the Extrapolometer, but still...

Applying the latest form (over six, eight, 10 and 12 games) for the remaining games of each of the top 11 teams now suggests we'll finish 8th on around 73-75pts. We finish 8th on last-6, last-8 and last-12 form – last-10 form sneaks us up to 7th, but still 3pts+ behind the 6th-placed team.

It's settling down a bit now – each of the four extrapolations has Plymouth 6th, Oxford 5th and Wednesday in the play-offs. Pleasingly, last-6, last-8 and last-10 form all have Wigan slipping into the play-offs - they're 4th on last-six form, behind Wednesday too - with McDons on course for 90+ points in each extrapolation.

Usual caveats - it's only numbers, don't get too excited or downcast, and it doesn't account for six-pointers. We've still got a say, with Plymouth, Wigan and Wednesday to play.

And of course wheels can fall off. No midweek games for us, but there's some inter4sting fixtures tomorrow. Oxford travel to Portsmouth, who would go above us with a win. Wycombe host Cambridge, who are on top-10 form (more than can be said for Wycombe). And Wednesday host tricky old Burton.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Feb 28, 2022 10:13 pm

Have to win all of the next 5 games, for me. We could maybe afford to draw one of the away games, but if it's the next one we could really see momentum stall.