Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 28, 2022 1:54 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 12:59 pm
Too early for match threads, but Gillingham away and Morecambe home. Wonder what I'E's telling the troops right now.? Is Rico being a bit ungrateful, or is he right to wait?
On Rico, not sure it makes a huge difference either way. He's on Contract until 2023, so he's actually right when he says it sort of doesn't matter right now...I don't get the ungrateful bit. If someone from the Champo was going to double/treble your earnings, what do you reckon you'd do? Obviously many dimensions to that question but just on out and out cash terms, at 26/27 with maybe 6/7 years left as a footballer, surely you'd think very seriously about taking it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:02 pm

Aye. I hope he stays. But as long as he doesn't throw his toys out I wouldn't blame him if he doesn't sign a new contract. Up to us then whether we sell him this summer or risk him going on a free next.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:32 pm

Yep agree with the points already made re Santos, he doesn’t owe us anything and is under contract for next season anyway.

I don’t think he will find the step up easy but if someone can offer him that money at that level then he might go and of course his family are still down south apparently.

Personal view…I think it would be far from disastrous should he go and we get a fee. There is scope for improvement back there and if Santos has offers then rather a fee and reinvest than lose him for nothing in a year.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:47 pm

I'd be v disappointed if he went. Huge part of what we're trying to do.

As a general rule though I agree we should be taking fees and reinvesting than letting people go for free. There's a judgement call on availability of replacements and whether it's worth the gamble of another year to get us up even if he did leave.

But yeah agree with Worthy. I'd like him to sign it now, but if he's not going to it's one to reassess in summer. Doesn't change much now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:09 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:47 pm
I'd be v disappointed if he went. Huge part of what we're trying to do.

As a general rule though I agree we should be taking fees and reinvesting than letting people go for free. There's a judgement call on availability of replacements and whether it's worth the gamble of another year to get us up even if he did leave.

But yeah agree with Worthy. I'd like him to sign it now, but if he's not going to it's one to reassess in summer. Doesn't change much now.
In an ideal football world we don’t sell anyone yet continually are able to add improvements. But business reality means that we likely can’t do that.

I’d say if we get a decent fee we could sign two centre halves who are improvements on what we have now which might mean our central one isn’t quite as good but overall our back two or three are stronger.

To be honest there isn’t a player I think we can’t get a good fee for and still be ok without assuming that is reinvested appropriately.

Obviously players we’d ideally keep should conditions allow but it’s a good position to be in to feel nobody is irreplaceable.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:26 pm

The worst possibility is the one where he refuses to sign an extension (which is his right to decide) but we also don't get a satisfactory offer for him (which is our right to decide).

That then puts both parties in a difficult situation. Evatt is on record as saying he'd never force anybody out (although Comley might disagree) or exclude anybody (although he literally has done from squad registration). And Rico would be a big old unit to have moping about the place - captain, too.

Hopefully it's moot and we get him signed on. He has limitations but he's important to us and we need to be careful what we wish for. This is the club that replaced Gary Cahill with Tim Ream...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:36 pm

Little statty things

• First time we haven't scored since we changed formation (11 games ago)...
• ...but the sixth time in seven games we haven't kept a clean sheet
• Dixon on bench, Amaechi wasn't
• Also not on the bench: Baptiste. Barring Sherpa games and the Barnsley League Cup game (plus the Donny home game for which he was injured), I make that the first time he hasn't been in the matchday 18 since Harrogate away, Evatt's first win

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:55 pm

They said something about Baptiste having a family issue to deal with on the comms.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 28, 2022 4:08 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Feb 28, 2022 3:55 pm
They said something about Baptiste having a family issue to deal with on the comms.
Ah OK, fair enough. Birth of a grandson, perhaps.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:58 pm

We’ve not pursued the comments by the ref thing, so an end to that odd little episode.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Tue Mar 01, 2022 9:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 8:58 pm
We’ve not pursued the comments by the ref thing, so an end to that odd little episode.
Do we know what it was?
All very schtum after the game...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:33 pm

We don’t. Reads like sour grapes to me. Ref was shite, same every week. The block second half on Dapo was absolutely ridiculous. Handball for the first goal. But no idea what Evatt was on about after to be honest.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:52 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 10:33 pm
We don’t. Reads like sour grapes to me. Ref was shite, same every week. The block second half on Dapo was absolutely ridiculous. Handball for the first goal. But no idea what Evatt was on about after to be honest.
Sounds like he might have got a bit back from the ref and couldn't hack it. I've no time for that if it's the case. Just guessing though.

Re the handball, it really didn't look like it to me. Thought it was shoulder.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm

I watched the handball back a few times and I think it probably was. But I didn't bat an eyelid live (I thought he was offside!) and then you look at Everton-City the same day and the farce they had still cocking that up with the benefit of replays.

Even if it was handball it's just one of those ones I think. I don't mind refs getting those wrong. But there were yet again so many ridiculous decisions in the game that were less consequential but just wtf moments. They're so so bad. The Dapo one was ludicrous. There was a lot of chirping after that so I wonder if he said something in response to that.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Wed Mar 02, 2022 10:08 am

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm
I watched the handball back a few times and I think it probably was. But I didn't bat an eyelid live (I thought he was offside!) and then you look at Everton-City the same day and the farce they had still cocking that up with the benefit of replays.
Looks like handball on several replays. Still, can't blame the referee for getting it wrong as it happens so fast and my preference is giving the striker the benefit of the doubt, he's meant to control it with his shoulder and not his arm. We watch football for the goals not for goals getting disallowed.
Prufrock wrote:
Tue Mar 01, 2022 11:47 pm
Even if it was handball it's just one of those ones I think. I don't mind refs getting those wrong. But there were yet again so many ridiculous decisions in the game that were less consequential but just wtf moments. They're so so bad. The Dapo one was ludicrous. There was a lot of chirping after that so I wonder if he said something in response to that.
I think the irksome thing is we're getting some unfair decisions. Santos' red card compared to their handball are relatively similar yet we've been punished unfairly. Add that to the penalties that are being waived away and we've got a right to be slightly aggrieved. That being said i'm sure Evatt isn't helping himself with his attitude towards the refs.

Still, this everyones against us attitude served Allardici well enough so i'm sure it's better than staying schtum.