Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 4:56 pm

No Denying the Dons 12 points advantage on us and third in the table. Going to be a tough ask to get three points at Stadium M.K. Can be done, but no easy task. Are we in with a good shout..? Go...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Post by sonicthewhite » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:18 pm

We'll shit em. We've got the highest brewing kettle in the league :pissed:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:32 pm

On paper this would be the second toughest game we have remaining, and ordinarily I suppose it would be one we'd be happy to take a point from, however, we're in a position now where any dropped points would be a blow to our playoff aspirations, so I've no doubt we'll be going there to win.

Where a few months back there would have been unanimous consensus from us fans regarding our strongest XI, the waters have now been muddied considerably with our January talent injection. It's telling that Dapo and MJ, who until very recently would have been amongst the first names on the team sheet, must both now be at serious risk of losing their places.

For what it's worth (very, very little), my starting lineup would be:

Trafford

Jones Santos Johnston

Morley Dempsey

Fossey John

Sadlier

Dad Bod Charles

1-2 to Bolton.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Thu Feb 24, 2022 7:22 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:32 pm
It's telling that Dapo and MJ, who until very recently would have been amongst the first names on the team sheet, must both now be at serious risk of losing their places.
I'm under the impression its a case of at risk of being rotated as opposed to at risk of losing their places. I think Bakayoko would be a good shout for being in a starting lineup but its clear he's very useful as a super sub. Wouldn't be the same to consider Charles or Bodvarsson to be losing their place if Baka was to come in but more a case of rotating the squad.

If Dapo and MJ were to be rested I think Evatt (and the rest of us) would acknowledge that they're still very useful to the squad but mixing it up keeps a high standard.

Even Santos' baby birth meant a test for those at the back allowing us to mix it up, which Aimson and Sadlier came through quite well.
Would seem that everyone has a chance to be rotated to keep the squad fresh.

I'd be going as strong a lineup as we can put out there for MK Dons.

Trafford
Fossey, Jones, Santos, Johnston, John
MJ Morley Dapo
Bodvarsson, Charles

Bench: Bakayoko, Amaechi, Dempsey, Sadlier, Dixon, Gordon, Aimson (Dixon on the bench because we're up against top 3)

I suspect that John may be the only doubt with his back injury in which case Johnston can do the left back role with Aimson in the centre.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:24 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 5:32 pm
On paper this would be the second toughest game we have remaining, and ordinarily I suppose it would be one we'd be happy to take a point from, however, we're in a position now where any dropped points would be a blow to our playoff aspirations, so I've no doubt we'll be going there to win.
My head says a point here isn’t the end of the world. MKDons aren’t in our sights - it’s the ones below we are aiming for.

I’ve got no doubt we’ll be aiming for the win mind.

Assume Jones/Santos/Johnston with DJ and Fossey. Wouldn’t be against Jones at RWB with Aimson playing (thought Fossey looked fecked second half Tuesday).

MJ will play unless injured, Morley pretty much undroppable… I would be tempted to start Sadlier (some may argue Dempsey), Charles will start. Then it’s between Baka, JDB and Dapo.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:24 pm

My head says a point here isn’t the end of the world. MKDons aren’t in our sights - it’s the ones below we are aiming for.
My thoughts exactly. A point would be great against who are probably the 3rd best side in the division.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:48 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 8:24 pm

My thoughts exactly. A point would be great against who are probably the 3rd best side in the division.
The name isn't, the points very much are. Matters not who we're playing, if we don't win the chances will soon get beyond our reach. Then again, a few banana-skin clubs are always on the hunt to beat a form club. A point will be great, a win and three a real boost to get on our target track. COME ON YOU WHITES...

:oyea: :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Feb 24, 2022 10:23 pm

Trafford
Fossey
Jones
Santos
Johnston
John
MJ
Morley
Dempsey
Dapo
Charles

Would be my team. But you could put Sadlier in. Or Baka.

I think Baka off the bench is working though.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Feb 24, 2022 11:48 pm

628DC261-15D8-4F81-93E8-A5F3BBB4075E.jpeg
628DC261-15D8-4F81-93E8-A5F3BBB4075E.jpeg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 3018 times

I agree with Insane :mrgreen:

That’s what I’d go with and what I think Evatt does.

A midfield three of Dempsey, Morley and MJ to give us more structure with Dapo partnering Charles up top for a bit of creativity and ‘spark’.

I wouldn’t be against dropping MJ though, he looked well off the pace on Tuesday

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 1:41 am

I'd go Sadlier over Dempsey but otherwise on board with that. I think he'll go Dempsey and I'll live.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am

JDB and Afolayan both looked knackered on Tuesday, but Baka doesn't seem to be am effective starter. I suppose it's whichever of those suits the Dons style to start with Charles. I've no idea how they play, but they're obviously very good at the moment on results. Tuesday's performance worries me a bit. A draw would be excellent but I think this is one we might lose.
Mj Morley Dempsey in midfield for me. KD looked very sharp when he came on. Need the solidity against these I think. There were huge midfield gaps in Tuesday, particularly first half. Start the Afolayan of Tuesday in midfield and we'll be swamped.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:18 am

I've backed Santos to score anytime again - now 35/1 with William Hill. Go on, Rico lad.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:18 am

Ah bollocks ignore all that. 4-1 win. Morley hat-trick. Of free kicks.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:20 am

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:18 am
I've backed Santos to score anytime again - now 35/1 with William Hill. Go on, Rico lad.
Given the law of averages those should be great odds. He must be due one. But then again, having seen him attacking set pieces...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:21 am

He can add the 4th after Morley's hat-trick.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:27 am

He's been getting closer of late. We do genuinely seem much, much better at set pieces now we've got Morley and this new coach in. It can only be a matter of time before Santos gets on the end of one.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:53 am

I think it's hard for Evatt to avoid giving Baka a start on Saturday, just from a man management perspective.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:15 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am
But Baka doesn't seem to be am effective starter.
I'm not sure Baka's had much of a run starting with the full new whizz kids....his scoring stats, recognizing we were "team shit" in Nov and Dec (with extenuating circumstances) are pretty good. I don't think he has the credit he deserves, generally. And I'm not convinced by Dad Bod yet although he gives us "options" Baka probably doesn't. He started v Burton, but that was with Dad Bod rather than Charles, and Sadlier sat in rather than Dapo. Morley and Jones were also rested. I haven't ruled him out as a starter yet.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:38 am

I'd go with the suggested line ups. Afolayan supporting Charles in a free role but also as a 6th midfielder when we're out of possession.

Anyone else off here going to this?
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:15 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am
But Baka doesn't seem to be am effective starter.
I'm not sure Baka's had much of a run starting with the full new whizz kids....his scoring stats, recognizing we were "team shit" in Nov and Dec (with extenuating circumstances) are pretty good. I don't think he has the credit he deserves, generally. And I'm not convinced by Dad Bod yet although he gives us "options" Baka probably doesn't. He started v Burton, but that was with Dad Bod rather than Charles, and Sadlier sat in rather than Dapo. Morley and Jones were also rested. I haven't ruled him out as a starter yet.
He hasn't, but I don't think this is the game. Maybe next home game.
Scoring stats have been really good, but I don't think he'll replicate it from the start. And the other options are just better than him I think. Difficult one really.