Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:49 pm

Game has well and truly gone. Plenty of desire but not cutting edge at the moment. Can't fault them for effort but definitely signs of fatigue

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:50 pm

Get that c*nt booked for simulation.

Absolute shower of shit.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:51 pm

Credit to MK Dons, they’re a very good side who’ve recruited really well, done their homework on us and defended really well. (Surprised their pitch isn’t in better condition for a team that plays on the floor so much).

We look a bit jaded judging by our wayward passing. Weeks break will do us some good.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 pm

I don’t think we’ve been terrible. They are a good side. We’ve had a few moments.

Today for me shows that our midfield and back three aren’t quite the standard you need for the very top of this division. We knew that. But it’s clear here. Midfield especially. You need more than we’ve got in there. Sometimes you need that Muamba type and I feel today we needed that but lack it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 pm

Beaten by a better team there. And if they are third, were very much in this league next year!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 pm

No chance of the playoffs on that performance.
Deserved everything we got today.

MOTM. Dempsey.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:53 pm

Grand scheme of things, not an unexpected result. Manner of the performance has probably been the biggest problem.

Would've been easy for the players to not keep going at the death here but fair play to them keeping up the tempo trying to get a consolation goal.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:54 pm

No complaints here about the result. Beaten by the better team on the day.

Props to Dempsey and Fossey, I thought did nowt much wrong.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:54 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:52 pm
I don’t think we’ve been terrible. They are a good side. We’ve had a few moments.
My thoughts exactly. Frustrating more than anything but nothing to be too disheartened.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:55 pm

Thanks DJB. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:56 pm

We didn't show up. The fact we had so many bad performances today and still "had a few moments" tells you where we could have been in this one.

Tempted to blame tiredness, but it was a lot more than that.

Still, we've had a cracking February and are still just about in the hunt. Won't catch MK Dons now, though.

Cheers for the seat on the couch.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Feb 26, 2022 4:57 pm

For me Baka has never been a starter, he should remain as a sub unless injuries dictate. Also appears that the season is catching up with MJ and Gethin. We at least know where we need to improve/focus on in the summer.

And the Pies lost by 3 at home to the Mackems. So today wasn't all bad.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:04 pm

I think their Centre halves and Centre forwards were better than ours - that’s the difference.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:08 pm

Baka up top for the long ball, MJ in to cover the back 3. 4 MK Dons through balls later you knew it wasn't going to work as MJ didn't have the energy to cover the whole width of the pitch. The 3 in that midfield should have coped but they were all over the place until Morley went off. Then it wasn't as bad. Look at the pace of MKDs passing and our movement. The amount of times we had decent possession only to lose it as there was no pass on was criminal. Dion Charles winning the ball up top is pointless if no one is willing to break from midfield to help. Baka looked lost as has been said I don't think he likes starting a game. I understand the changes as the players look like they are tired however to choose this game to do it is annoying. We needed to be 100% at the races today and we were no where near what was acceptable. Write it off if you want but it just proved we are quite a distance away from what's required for promotion.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:13 pm

Beaten away from home by a really good top 3 team. No disgrace by that. We were competitive but were not much of a threat except from our set pieces which is a good sign. Something not quite right in the midfield balance against a top team. We have to sort that out. Dempsey was very good, our MOM by a mile. We should build the team around him. We must also find a way to play Sadlier in attack. He looks dangerous.

Not the end of the world. lets keep fighting.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:13 pm

With hindsight Baka should have started midweek and JDB today, but I still think we would have lost. It is what it is. Tenth and seven points from the play offs with 11 to go.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:16 pm

Admin-DJBlu wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:08 pm
Baka up top for the long ball, MJ in to cover the back 3. 4 MK Dons through balls later you knew it wasn't going to work as MJ didn't have the energy to cover the whole width of the pitch. The 3 in that midfield should have coped but they were all over the place until Morley went off. Then it wasn't as bad. Look at the pace of MKDs passing and our movement. The amount of times we had decent possession only to lose it as there was no pass on was criminal. Dion Charles winning the ball up top is pointless if no one is willing to break from midfield to help. Baka looked lost as has been said I don't think he likes starting a game. I understand the changes as the players look like they are tired however to choose this game to do it is annoying. We needed to be 100% at the races today and we were no where near what was acceptable. Write it off if you want but it just proved we are quite a distance away from what's required for promotion.
Surely for Evatt to make those sort of changes that you're talking about needs a bit of forward planning. There's a good chance that impacts the other results that we've managed to get over the line like the Lincoln result. I'm sure looking at the fixture list Evatt probably figured there was a better chance of winning against Lincoln than MK Dons so made the best decision off the back of that. There's a good chance that if we had focused on winning todays match we could've ended up with even less points as a result of it.

For me, I figure a tiring midfield against a press as good as MK Dons' struggled. Formation seemed wrong today and we were getting overrun in midfield. I don't think that changed at any point as both Baka and Dad Bod both looked isolated. If we were to go and play it again I would've liked to have seen just another man in midfield instead of two up top, but hey ho i'm sure Evatt had his reasons and he gets it right more often than not.

Perhaps the simple case of performance levels didnt match the opposition was the only reason.

Either way, probably best to focus on the Gillingham game.
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:13 pm
With hindsight Baka should have started midweek and JDB today, but I still think we would have lost. It is what it is. Tenth and seven points from the play offs with 11 to go.
I'd agree here, although we might've been saying something different had Baka's super sub role been missing in midweek.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:25 pm

For me, there's little point looking at what went on first half and concluding Baka was the problem. There was bugger all attacking service and the midfield and defence were all over the place. Salah and Aguero wouldn't have got much out of that first 45.

As Ghost said, they'd done their homework on Morley. Dempsey (mom for me too) looked out of place and MJ was in a different county.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:41 pm

Our battles don't lie away at MKD - Their interest lies with Rotherham and Wigan for top two.
I think we can reasonably assume that in whatever order, the top 3 is sorted.
What's important is how we get on against the best of the rest.
There's absolutely no shame in losing down there today and it's not a disaster.
Perspective and that 😉
May the bridges I burn light your way

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:45 pm

Evatt says he has reported the referee for "comments made" and that those comments were heard by the 4th official.

That's one to keep an eye on.