Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Chasing the Ace..V M.K.Dons away,Sat 26th Feb. 3-0'clockk

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:34 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:15 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am
But Baka doesn't seem to be am effective starter.
I'm not sure Baka's had much of a run starting with the full new whizz kids....his scoring stats, recognizing we were "team shit" in Nov and Dec (with extenuating circumstances) are pretty good. I don't think he has the credit he deserves, generally. And I'm not convinced by Dad Bod yet although he gives us "options" Baka probably doesn't. He started v Burton, but that was with Dad Bod rather than Charles, and Sadlier sat in rather than Dapo. Morley and Jones were also rested. I haven't ruled him out as a starter yet.
He hasn't, but I don't think this is the game. Maybe next home game.
Scoring stats have been really good, but I don't think he'll replicate it from the start. And the other options are just better than him I think. Difficult one really.
He's only had two games in a two with Charles rather than in the three behind.

Started v Oxford - he scored we won
Started v Cambs - he scored we won.

You get the drift :-) I think most of his goals have come when starting...

Different proposition partnering Charles up front who has lots of awareness of where his partner is, rather than Eoin, who always knew where the goal was.....

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:47 am

Being the eternal optimist, I hesitate to raise a word of caution, but the Dons must be aware of our precarious card/ban situation. A couple of moments of madness from Dapo or even Captain courageous, Charles or well, anyone, could make a huge difference if marching orders looms via a flaky ref. (Who have we got?) Even a strong bench is no use if we have anyone sent off. Like I said, just a note of caution. All is not fair in love and football.. :shock:

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:56 am

Not sure on the divide, but Baka seems to score as a sub too.

His finishing is effective - seems better than any of the other attackers at getting on crosses from wingbacks - but I'd say his link-up play isn't as good as his peers. Awareness and technique a little lacking. I'd have him as a sub option, especially in this game.

Agree that I would also have Dempsey rather than Dapo at 10. Just a bit more solidity. Can switch up later by bringing on a forward for a midfielder and dropping Dapo deeper.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:59 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:34 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:13 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:15 am
LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:17 am
But Baka doesn't seem to be am effective starter.
I'm not sure Baka's had much of a run starting with the full new whizz kids....his scoring stats, recognizing we were "team shit" in Nov and Dec (with extenuating circumstances) are pretty good. I don't think he has the credit he deserves, generally. And I'm not convinced by Dad Bod yet although he gives us "options" Baka probably doesn't. He started v Burton, but that was with Dad Bod rather than Charles, and Sadlier sat in rather than Dapo. Morley and Jones were also rested. I haven't ruled him out as a starter yet.
He hasn't, but I don't think this is the game. Maybe next home game.
Scoring stats have been really good, but I don't think he'll replicate it from the start. And the other options are just better than him I think. Difficult one really.
He's only had two games in a two with Charles rather than in the three behind.

Started v Oxford - he scored we won
Started v Cambs - he scored we won.

You get the drift :-) I think most of his goals have come when starting...

Different proposition partnering Charles up front who has lots of awareness of where his partner is, rather than Eoin, who always knew where the goal was.....
Fair point. I suppose I just rate the other two higher. But they looked tired in Tuesday and he's sharp and confident. So fook knows. 😁

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:10 pm

I'm far from convinced that Williams and Dempsey can play in the same side. If we so start with BWFC-I's side then I'd have Williams playing deeper than where Brommers has put him. Alternatively I'd take Williams out, put Saddlier to where Brommers has Dempsey, and move Dempsey further back. Dempsey was a joy to watch in front of the back four last Saturday (against a less threatening side, granted).
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 12:10 pm
I'm far from convinced that Williams and Dempsey can play in the same side. If we so start with BWFC-I's side then I'd have Williams playing deeper than where Brommers has put him. Alternatively I'd take Williams out, put Saddlier to where Brommers has Dempsey, and move Dempsey further back. Dempsey was a joy to watch in front of the back four last Saturday (against a less threatening side, granted).
On Tuesday he was bombing forward when he came on though, looked very sharp around their box. I'm not really sure what his best role is, but remember Ghost mentioning his versatility. I'd like to see what he does starting behind the front 2.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:45 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:04 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
On Tuesday he was bombing forward when he came on though, looked very sharp around their box. I'm not really sure what his best role is, but remember Ghost mentioning his versatility. I'd like to see what he does starting behind the front 2.
I agree Brucie. I'm a big fan of MJ and he was the solidity we needed last Jan that helped propel us up the League. But a bit like Aimson (who I rate for his defensive ability), there's a bit of a problem. He's not as mobile as Dempsey or Makepeace. Either going forwards or heading back so there's gaps. And that's started to show more as the "new MF" has bedded in (taking a kind view as opposed to "sticks out like a sore thumb"). When it was He, Lee and Thomasson, they're playing to MJ's drum-beat...But he's sort of lost his drum.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Feb 25, 2022 2:58 pm

I do wonder if MJ carrying an injury or even just a bit more sluggish post Covid. If he doesn’t play we lose the best equipped to sit on and cover whichever Centre half has decided to push forward. I still think it’s a risk not starting him Saturday personally but I won’t argue he’s not been at his best recently.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 4:41 pm

I don't think it's a coincidence that it coincided with the shape change. He used to be the insurance on the press, the five in front plus the full backs would press and MJ would sweep up.

Now the insurance is the third centre back, and both central midfielders need to press at times. It doesn't suit his skill set as much.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:24 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 pm
A point would be great against who are probably the 3rd best side in the division.

MKD fan in peace? :wink:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:16 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 6:24 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Feb 24, 2022 9:22 pm
A point would be great against who are probably the 3rd best side in the division.

MKD fan in peace? :wink:
3rd best after us and Rotherham?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 25, 2022 7:59 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
I think away there we sit that wee bit deeper draw them on then hit on the break. So MJ for me does a job in that team. Especially in giving licence for the centre halves to press forward.

At home I think it’s different and you wouldn’t play both. But MK Dons are a good side with a strong midfield so I’d say we might need that bit of insurance.

Equally if we went for it with Sadlier ahead of Dempsey and Morley I’d not be disappointed either. That could be a very classy trio.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 8:39 pm

Aye for a game like this away to a good side who keep the ball well I'd be fine with any 3 from MJ Morley Dempsey and Sadlier. There are games for Daps at 10 but this isn't one IMO.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:11 pm

Around 2,000 Wanderers going to the game. 👏👏👏
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:54 pm

Trafford is happy with us and wants to stay playing with the big lads. A few kinks in his game, but I reckon he'll make the grade. Fingers crossed...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:01 pm

Interesting Evatt comments about a tactical battle.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... e-mk-dons/

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:11 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:01 pm

Trafford
Jones-Santos-Johnstone
Fossey-Morley-Mj-John
Demspey
Charles-Dapo

Unless Ian is hiding his emotions.. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:19 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:54 pm
Trafford is happy with us and wants to stay playing with the big lads. A few kinks in his game, but I reckon he'll make the grade. Fingers crossed...
I was waiting for him to say "int milk brill"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Feb 25, 2022 11:07 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:11 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Feb 25, 2022 10:01 pm

Trafford
Jones-Santos-Johnstone
Fossey-Morley-Mj-John
Demspey
Charles-Dapo

Unless Ian is hiding his emotions.. :D
It's the obvious team, and the strongest line up we've got on everyone's best day, but just wonder if evatt will save Dapo for the bench. Either way, we've got great sub options.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Feb 26, 2022 7:37 am

I worked in Two Mile Ash for three years. I still don't know how I ever found my way (a) there, (b) back. Anyway, if for some crazy reason any of you find yourself in the MK environs later today, you'll be pleased to know you can pay on the gate.
May the bridges I burn light your way