Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:12 am

Time to think live football.Which Gills will we get and how do we see them? There'll be no Priests on this field, that's for sure, saints and sinners a-plenty no doubt. Is it ours to take or are we in for a battle royal? Go....

ae:)
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:21 am

Ambitions of anything above mid table makes this must win. I’d like to see Sadlier start and I’d be tempted to go for it with Morley and Dempsey as the deeper midfielders. Charles and Dapo up top.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Are Gills half full pints, or half empty? Away to Gillingham Sat 5th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:53 am

Going to this with Flanners. Hoping it won't rain. I'd settle for this now:
gills weather.jpg
gills weather.jpg (30.12 KiB) Viewed 1413 times
On the pitch: I'd like a win please. It's the sort of bottom-feeding opponent we usually beat, but also the sort of long-ballers we can struggle against. Santos needs to keep Vadaine Oliver quiet.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 03, 2022 10:49 am

Long trip, 200 miles as the crow flies, but actually 255 as the road bends. All okay if no hold-up get in the way, but we don't need tired players for any reason. All out display (a la Middlesboro beating Tottenham this week by sheer guts and effort). Read this in B.N

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -archives/

from 1985 (how many lifetimes ago is that?) and remembering Gills scraps are nothing new to The Whites (Jeff Chandler indeed...no, not the film star :) ), so come on Whites, bring the bacon home and don't eat it till after the game.. :oyea:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:23 pm

I have no recollection of that game ^ TD. My only previous visit was 2 years later, when we lost on the last day of the normal season and had to go into a relegation/promotion play off with Aldershot. I think the Football League abandoned that format pretty soon after.

Anyway, I'll be there this Saturday and hoping it doesn't rain on those open air bleachers.

I'd not be surprised to see Gethin missing, God bless him but otherwise I'd be happy to see Dempsey and Sadlier both start. They look a much better side now under Neil Harris but then so do we compared to our last meeting.

I'm going for a rare clean sheet and a 1-0 win.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:37 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:23 pm
My only previous visit was 2 years later, when we lost on the last day of the normal season and had to go into a relegation/promotion play off with Aldershot. I think the Football League abandoned that format pretty soon after.
They did. Only the first two seasons included a relegation drop-dodger. And we were the joint-first team ever relegated by it, along with Sunderland, who also went out in the semis of the play-offs above ours. (Top-tier Charlton survived.)

TBF if they hadn't had that rule involving the top relly-zone team in the play-offs, we'd have just been automatically relegated.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:48 pm

Having been thwarted by work and covid respectively in my two previous attempts to watch us live this season, I'm going to be there on Saturday with four non-Wanderers mates.

As noted above, Gills have improved markedly since Neil Harris took over, and will almost certainly be organised, physical and direct. As ever with us and these types of opponents, scoring the first goal looks to be crucial.

After the terrible news regarding Gethin's mum, I assume he have been offered compassionate leave, so I would anticipate Aimson taking his place. Other than that I would prefer to see Dempsey slot in alongside Morley, Sadlier at 10, and either Dad Bod or Dapo play up top with Charles.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 03, 2022 12:58 pm

Are they on good form? (And does that count as momentum? :D )

Since Harris took over they've squeezed past Crewe (1-0, 2 shots on target), Cambridge (1-0, 86th minute) and Lincoln (2-0, two goals after 75th minute). They've also lost to Ipswich (37% possession, one shot on target), drawn with Morecambe (32% possession), and drawn 0-0 at home to the half-fit WImbledon we'd just spanked 4-0. And when they played at home to Plymouth, this happened:
gills.png
gills.png (18.73 KiB) Viewed 1373 times
I'm sure they'll be buggardly and niggly and awkward and ugly, as they have every right to be, but we're not exactly talking Hotshot Hamish. (And yes, I'm sure this will make it hurt even more when they score...)

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:05 pm

^^ Did you cut that off so it doesn't show their 35 corners? :-) I'm sure there'll be a bit of added spice with us nicking their Cap'n.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:33 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:05 pm
^^ Did you cut that off so it doesn't show their 35 corners? :-) I'm sure there'll be a bit of added spice with us nicking their Cap'n.
I find examining corners "overthinking it". :wink:

EDIT but it intrigued me so I went back to check, and the report's last paragraph made me laugh. :mrgreen:
gills2.jpg
gills2.jpg (35.5 KiB) Viewed 1339 times

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:25 pm

Got my ticket. After a woeful season of non-attendance (apart from Charlton away), I'm very much looking forward to spending an afternoon in the company of c.1k fellow supporters. I'd love a win, but can see this being one of those frustrating games where we end up with a draw or one goal defeat. Nevertheless, I fully expect to leave with a hoarse voice.

If anyone is going and planning a wee pre-match snifter, let me know (also available for post-match beer!).
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:29 pm

Gethin Jones granted a leave of absence, Adam Senior recalled.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:42 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:29 pm
Family first. Sympathies to him and his family.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:42 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:29 pm
Family first. Sympathies to him and his family.
Absolutely. He’s been given as much time as he needs. Poor bloke.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Thu Mar 03, 2022 7:07 pm

Absolutely devastating news for him and his family.
Really must have been playing on his mind the past few months.
Can't imagine what he's been going through.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Mar 04, 2022 9:56 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:53 am
Going to this with Flanners. Hoping it won't rain. I'd settle for this now:
gills weather.jpg
On the pitch: I'd like a win please. It's the sort of bottom-feeding opponent we usually beat, but also the sort of long-ballers we can struggle against. Santos needs to keep Vadaine Oliver quiet.
The forecast has worsened somewhat for this evening, with BBC now predicting a good amount of rain in the area. Mercifully, tomorrow is still forecast to be dry, but there must be a worry that the pitch won't be in a fantastic condition.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:26 am

I'm more worried about the lack of a fecking roof!

I'll be there. Hobbling along. A good group of us going.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Mar 04, 2022 11:27 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:25 pm
Got my ticket. After a woeful season of non-attendance (apart from Charlton away), I'm very much looking forward to spending an afternoon in the company of c.1k fellow supporters. I'd love a win, but can see this being one of those frustrating games where we end up with a draw or one goal defeat. Nevertheless, I fully expect to leave with a hoarse voice.

If anyone is going and planning a wee pre-match snifter, let me know (also available for post-match beer!).
Haven't planned anything, but I'll be there with a few others. Give me a shout if you're at a loose end!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:31 pm

Aaron Morley on Gills:

“We know what sort of team Gillingham can be, they are really physical,” said the former Rochdale playmaker, who ended up on the losing side for the first time last Saturday since signing at the UniBol. “They go for corners, they go for set pieces, and you just need to defend well, try and play your own football and get a win however you can."

Sounds about right via the corners and set pieces. They'll probably load our box at every opportunity and try to bully us. We need to defend well and hard and watch out for antics with the ref. Won't be easy, but we can do it...I reckon..

ae:)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 04, 2022 1:40 pm

My team for tomorrow.

Trafford
Aimson - Santos - Johnston
Williams
Fossey - Morley - John
Dempsey
Charles - Bodvarsson

After 60 minutes;

Afolayan on for Dempsey
Bakayoko on for Bodvarsson.

Do that and we'll shit 'em, Evatt.