To be a Pilgrim..Home v Plymouth Sat 12th March. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: To be a Pilgrim..Home v Plymouth Sat 12th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:18 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:16 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:14 pm
Absolutely shocked we looked miles better once we changed to a four and stopped trying to do contradictory things.

Deserved something out of the second half after making three really good chances.

We've done well with it because it suits our weaker players. But now we've nothing to play for I want us to look to next year by which time dear god I hope we've signed a centre back.

Fossey going off killed any chance but I thought we were really good up to there second half. Looked like Dapo got a dead leg. And Kacha might be in trouble. Looked naughty on their centre back.
What did he do?
"Accidentally" stood on his hand while he was milking a free kick. Looked to me like he curved his walk to do it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:29 pm

Be interesting now the pressure is off. He has to get Sadlier in this side. Change of formation maybe? Might as well learn for next season - and players know Evatts happy to replace them in the summer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:38 pm

The underlying take home is that to win promotion from this league you can’t do it just playing football all the time. You need a balance of skills and abilities. We don’t have the balance. We can win when teams allow us to be expansive. But that’s not enough. Evatt is too naive currently. Forget possession and focus on being a more efficient side on and off the ball.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:44 pm

So, the "nearly" men lose again. We talk a good game. And were playing Ireland at rugby a man short. Red card after 82 seconds. How's that for a record?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:47 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:38 pm
The underlying take home is that to win promotion from this league you can’t do it just playing football all the time. You need a balance of skills and abilities. We don’t have the balance. We can win when teams allow us to be expansive. But that’s not enough. Evatt is too naive currently. Forget possession and focus on being a more efficient side on and off the ball.
?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 6:06 pm

Frustrating.

They're a good side and dominated the first half. I was hoping we'd get in at half time 0-0 but what a dreadful goal to concede. Only seen it the once but it looked like it should have been Trafford's ball all day long.

Much better with the change in shape and introduction of Sadlier and we were worthy of a point in the end. Santos my motm. Dapo had a shocker. Fossey got no change out of his marker.

A mid table finish in out first season back at this level is nowt to be sniffed at. Evatt will know what needs adjusting.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:02 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 5:14 pm

Fossey going off killed any chance
Didn't need to be that way. For what remained of the game and the added time, Morley was wide right with his arms out, that entire side all to himself yet still we insisted on hitting it / playing it into where approximately 18 other players were on the far side. We were absolutely clueless in that closing period and deserved nothing.

On a positive, I thought Santos defended superbly against their No.9 who was a Charles type nuisance to the power of 5 throughout the game.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 12, 2022 7:12 pm

Need to toughen up a bit mentally and physically. We have four or five great strikers it’s just the bit behind that needs working out.

Dapo never a number ten. Lad is struggling. Feel for him a bit. But he needs to play on the left or up front.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:00 pm

He doesn't half talk some shite sometimes.

“If you split the two words up, it’s I’m possible, so that is how we have to look at it,” he said"
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:31 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:00 pm

“If you split the two words up, it’s I’m possible, so that is how we have to look at it,” he said"
I saw that. He really is the second coming of David Brent 😂

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:37 pm

Gutted.

I expected is to win the two home games and we really should have.

Plymouth are decent, but we had the chances to put them away and just didn't. Same with Morecambe. Too many just didn't show up and do what was needed.

We had given ourselves too much to do it seems, but we're not going to go up next season either if we can't rely on key players for multiple games in a row. Dapo has been dire in too many games recently. Combining that with Charles forgetting where the net is and our two main goal threats are nowhere near where they should be.

You have to think some of this is related to the number of games we've had the limited rotation some lads have had, but regardless of the reasons we have to be able to rely on our big names.

If we do have to rebuild in the summer due to sales then that's another issue, but even if we don't there's still a need for us to see improvements from key players. This is a winnable league for us next term, but any hint of arrogance will see us slip up badly.

I don't mind another season in League One and I feel we've done well for a promoted side, but I don't like the manner in which we are losing games. Losing because the other side is just better is fine. Losing because you've not shown up isn't.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:56 pm

I'll say, I do think we'll be very, very good next season.

I'm just grumpy right now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:03 pm

I'd like to see Sadlier and Amaechi get some game time now. Genuinely excited what the former can offer us and gives us a chance to see if the latter can play a run of games and if it's worth trying to get him back here next season.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:45 pm

Hope this puts the play-off talk to bed. Very organized and good opposition. A benchmark test for us. We are not far away. We fought after a weak first half performance. Santos again was immense. I didn't think Dapo had a poor game. He tried hard in a position that is not his natural one, trying to do the job for the team but he is a more effective #11. Not much more to say. Wont criticize any of the players. With more time together we will be better. Lets end the season strong.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:49 pm

If it wasn't clear before it's clear now that without Jones the three at the back won't work well enough. Aimson has neither the ability to break forward and create space for Fossey nor the passing accuracy to help us move up the pitch, which is a particular problem in a tactical system that relies so heavily on the wing-backs and the overlapping centre-backs for width. I can't be critical of him, though, because he's being asked to play a role he just isn't cut out for.

Similarly, the Dapo as a No.10 experiment should come to an abrupt end. He should play either as one of two centre forwards or wide on the left. Sadlier seems so clearly a better option through the middle that at this stage persisting with Dapo there instead of him has the air of shoehorning our best player into the starting eleven for the sake of it. As it happens, the injury to Fossey might just precipitate a reversion to a formation which could accommodate both Sadlier and Dapo.

I thought they looked better than us and were another example of the standard we have to reach if we want to achieve promotion, but after the change in shape in the second half we had the best of it and could easily have ended up with a point or more. There won't be many clubs who can come to our stadium and match us in an open contest, however, so fair play to them. We had the majority of the possession but lost out in the duels, both aerial and non-aerial, by a margin of roughly two to one. That, I think, tells its own story and gives us a big clue as to where we need to improve.

A final, positive, note; I thought Morley was quietly excellent. His overreliance on his right foot was ruthlessly exposed a fortnight ago but if he commits to developing his talents on the training pitch he could go far. His range of passing today was streets ahead of any other player.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:49 pm

Prufrock wrote:

Oh f*cking hell. He's not actually said that, has he?

klasnicks
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by klasnicks » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:26 am

Anyone see what the buggery was going on with some home fans scrapping in the lower east stand? Some poor feckers got squashed by two guys having a punch up in the stand in the second half.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Mar 13, 2022 7:47 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:49 pm
Prufrock wrote:

Oh f*cking hell. He's not actually said that, has he?
It's right there on Marc Iles interview. It's cheered me up no end!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Mar 13, 2022 8:36 am

Prufrock wrote:

You're winding us up, right? Well, I'm assuming you are but then we all know what to assume does. :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sun Mar 13, 2022 9:49 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:45 pm
Lets end the season strong.
Always enjoy iCB's clear rational overviews and couldn't agree more with this.
Equally could do without IE's empty cheerleader-ism's too, and hope, as many have mentioned that we go into long-term tactical-mode now.
Seems inevitable we're going to lose a number of players, including various loanees - am biased (goalie-union) but think Trafford will be a massive loss, we've just got used to having a quality keeper (& yes, think he was at fault yesterday for their goal but as usual 'tiny margins' rule applies - & is amplified x10 in nets).

Santos would be massive loss too - noticeably it's not just us giving the plaudits, every game the oppo fans are raving about him as well...

For me the goal now is: how can we never drop out of the top 6 next season at any point - after that the rest can look after itself.

Crap week though.