To be a Pilgrim..Home v Plymouth Sat 12th March. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

To be a Pilgrim..Home v Plymouth Sat 12th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:21 am

Early thread start as there might be a bit to discuss.

Will it be the brave music of a distant drum (Drake's) as the Plymouth Pilgrims armada sail up north from Westward Ho to challenge the mighty Whites, or shall we repel all boarders after Santos finishes his game of snooker? No galleons allowed up the Croal.

Not the best news re Dapo and Dempsey, but do we have the firepower to see off Mayflowers in March? Stand by your guns.. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: To be a Pilgrim..Home v Plymouth Sat 12th March. 3-0'clock.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 am

Bod back in for Baka, partnering Charles. Sadlier at 10, with Dapo to the bench. Jonesy back if possible.

That's what I'd do, and also what I suspect Evatt will do.

Be interesting to see how we play against a decent team, because so far this season it's not always been good. Sunderland and Oxford (twice) the only times we've beaten teams in the current top 8; W3 D1 L9, and 8 of those 9 losses were to nil.

Tuesday has effectively ended the promotion push for this year, but games like this (and v Sheff Wed) will let us know how likely one next year is.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:16 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:39 am
Bod back in for Baka, partnering Charles. Sadlier at 10, with Dapo to the bench. Jonesy back if possible.
Tuesday has effectively ended the promotion push for this year, but games like this (and v Sheff Wed) will let us know how likely one next year is.
You really think so D.D.B? Two possible dropped points, yet one gained? We didn't lose, to Morecambe, just gave the game away with defensive carelessness. A lot of fancy Dan possession tip-tapping counted for naught in the end. I still entertain hopes we may make the play-offs, at least till after the next couple of games. The Pilgrims are already on the way to making Progress, so this one will be hard undoubtedly, but it'll be a taste of at least the standard promotion would mean.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:31 pm

Hopefully the shackles come off now the season is effectively over for us. Plymouth will come to play, so will pose a significantly different challenge to those shithousing pricks we played on Tuesday. Potentially more of our style of game anyway.

Trafford

Aimson Santos Johnston

MJ Morley

Fossey John

Sadlier

Dad Bod Charles

3-2 Bolton

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:16 pm

You really think so D.D.B? Two possible dropped points, yet one gained? We didn't lose, to Morecambe, just gave the game away with defensive carelessness. A lot of fancy Dan possession tip-tapping counted for naught in the end. I still entertain hopes we may make the play-offs, at least till after the next couple of games. The Pilgrims are already on the way to making Progress, so this one will be hard undoubtedly, but it'll be a taste of at least the standard promotion would mean.
Thing is, Tango, even with the most optimistic of extrapolations, games at home to the likes of Morecambe have been counted in as absolute must-wins if we're to have even the remotest possibility of making the play-offs. The margin for error is basically infinitesimal, after all, we can hardly hope to make up the missing two points away at Wigan. Well, we can, but you know.... ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Yeah, I do, TD. As Bruce says, the maths is hugely against us now. Before Tuesday it required us to get A Lot Of Points but also a handful of other teams to drop off their blistering pace. Now it requires us to get Even More Points too.

I'll admit there are some interesting games tomorrow – Bolton-Plymouth, Wycombe-Rotherham, Ipswich-Pompey - the start of a lot of six-pointers. In their next five matches alone, Pompey play Ipswich (A), Plymouth (A), Wycombe (H), us (A) and Rotherham (H). Ipswich's next three are Pompey (H), Oxford (A), Plymouth (H). After playing us and Pompey in the next few days, Plymouth's final six games are Ipswich (A), Oxford (H), Burton (A), Wycombe (A), Sunderland (H), Wigan (A) and MK Dons (H).

So there's plenty of wheat/chaff separation imminent, but my worry is that while in any six-pointer both teams can't win, they also can't both lose, and as I say the bar is high. If it raises the play-off target to 80pts, that means we need 25 from our last nine games - W8 D1 L0.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:35 pm

If we beat Plymouth handily on Saturday my hope might be rekindled somewhat.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 10, 2022 2:03 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:35 pm
If we beat Plymouth handily on Saturday my hope might be rekindled somewhat.
Well, quite. There's a world where we win, Wycombe lose to Rotherham, Ipswich-Pompey cancel each other out. You could even include Oxford being nullified by Shrewsbury (who've conceded the division's third-lowest number of goals). But even then it's hard to imagine Sunderland-Crewe and Sheff Wed-Cambridge ending pleasingly, so we'd still be six points off the pace. Even if we keep winning (including at Wigan) we're only getting within a win of the play-offs by relying on other teams slipping against opponents like Gillingham, Wimbledon, Cambridge, Morecambe, Fleetwood. We saw on Tuesday that that can happen (Fleetwood went in front at Sunderland) but it really feels like an outside chance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:31 pm

That's what I'd do, and also what I suspect Evatt will do.

Be interesting to see how we play against a decent team, because so far this season it's not always been good. Sunderland and Oxford (twice) the only times we've beaten teams in the current top 8; W3 D1 L9, and 8 of those 9 losses were to nil.

Obviously Dapo might be out. But I’m still not convinced we have a natural number 10 or someone who really likes playing there. Dapo looked uncertain and I’ve noticed that in other games he struggles when he’s asked to make the play. Great when we counter punch, less so when he has to make something happen. But he’s a forward really. Sadlier looked pretty lost when he came on and was less effective to my eyes than Dapo who hadn’t been effective at all.

The position is one I’m not convinced we’ve a proper answer for. I like Dapo there some games but when it’s team with more in midfield or one who sit deeper I feel he looks less comfortable.

In the summer I’d be looking for a more conventional number ten type who can do the job more naturally in an all round sense so that we can use that where it becomes an option. We missed Lee big time Tuesday and I guess a younger Lee would be the answer.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:56 pm

Sheehan surely the starter there next season, Insano?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:05 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:56 pm
Sheehan surely the starter there next season, Insano?
Possibly. The problem of course is he’s another to me who’s looked better in the deeper lying role and finding space rather than when he’s played the number ten. It also is a role that demands physical output and why we look most effective when Lee plays it because the press works. It doesn’t so much with others.

My worry with Sheehan is that he has the technical quality but not the physical drive and power to do that role with the running required.

It also begs the question as to how many players we have who play similar ways but perhaps don’t really quite get to the things Lee does and before him Sarce in terms of the off the ball work.

Sadlier needs a look there, a proper look. But he again to me looks best running with the ball and less comfortable in those tight midfield spaces.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:15 pm

When’s Keiron Lee back out of interest?

I think Sadlier should start tomorrow - he’s due a start at home IMO.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:15 pm

What's happening tomorrow? That's both you and DSB now. Have I missed summat? :?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:16 pm

I keep thinking it's Friday too. Mandela effect but where Mandela is the day Thursday.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:31 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Thing is, Tango, even with the most optimistic of extrapolations, games at home to the likes of Morecambe have been counted in as absolute must-wins if we're to have even the remotest possibility of making the play-offs. The margin for error is basically infinitesimal, after all, we can hardly hope to make up the missing two points away at Wigan. Well, we can, but you know.... ;)
Sighs sadly: Heart hopes, head knows the truth is almost a forlorn hope Bruce. Just another reason to dislike Morecambe, but our own fault. Still, COME ON YOU WHITES... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:46 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:51 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

What's happening tomorrow? That's both you and DSB now. Have I missed summat? :?
Bleurgh, wishing the week away! Who starts match threads more than a day before 😂

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:55 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 5:46 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:51 pm
officer_dibble wrote:

Bleurgh, wishing the week away! Who starts match threads more than a day before 😂
Guilty your honour. A failing of old age :oops:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:54 pm

Was only a joke TD - it’s a good sign - we’re all enjoying our football a bit more than the years before.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:11 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:54 pm
Was only a joke TD - it’s a good sign - we’re all enjoying our football a bit more than the years before.
No bother Dibs. :oyea:

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 am

When reviewing the fixtures this didn't seem as much of a problem as the likes of Wigan and MK Dons but this and the Pompey game have fast become must wins. Winning these and there will be a good shift towards the mentality of it being possible this season. Lose or draw and while technically not out of it I suspect that'll be a bridge too far.