Back on track or up the Junction.? V Crewe away, Sat19th Mar. 3-0'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Re: Back on track or up the Junction.? V Crewe away, Sat19th Mar. 3-0'clock.

Post by brommers95 » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 7:27 pm
There can't be many clubs that have scored more late goals than we have this season; it's a really good habit to have. And although it might now be meaningless it's also important that we keep winning as many matches as we can, just from a psychological standpoint - winning mentality, etc. - so it's good that we've picked up another three points no matter how unconvincingly.

My opinion of Bakayoko's general ability is quite low and my suspicion is that he might eventually prove to be something like another Gnahoua - an average player benefitting from being introduced deep into the second half when we're either chasing a result or comfortably on top - but he keeps scoring and I can't criticise that. Long may it continue.
As harsh as it sounds, I think most would tend to agree with that. Outside of the box his link up play generally leaves a lot to be desired, but he seems to have an uncanny knack of finding space in the box - all of his goals this season have come <12 yards out.

His pace and strength are also a handy asset to have off the bench against tiring defenders.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:33 pm

Baka isn't a bad player outside the box by League One standards. He works really hard, he's athletic and he scores goals.

I think he's scored 5 in 13 starts, which is a pretty good return. Plus he got an assist in one of those, so he has a near 1 in 2 goal involvement in games he starts in.

It's not like he's either an impact sub or nothing. His stats starting are better than most in the league in his position.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:00 pm

3 points, a win and a fortnight's rest. I ain't complaining.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:15 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:33 pm
Baka isn't a bad player outside the box by League One standards. He works really hard, he's athletic and he scores goals.

I think he's scored 5 in 13 starts, which is a pretty good return. Plus he got an assist in one of those, so he has a near 1 in 2 goal involvement in games he starts in.

It's not like he's either an impact sub or nothing. His stats starting are better than most in the league in his position.
He’s got a lot of attributes but very little idea what to do with them.

He’s quick, tall and gets in good positions. I just wish he was a bit more natural. He’s be an absolutely superb player. It’s in between his ears I suspect that holds him back.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:18 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:14 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
There can't be many clubs that have scored more late goals than we have this season; it's a really good habit to have. And although it might now be meaningless it's also important that we keep winning as many matches as we can, just from a psychological standpoint - winning mentality, etc. - so it's good that we've picked up another three points no matter how unconvincingly.

My opinion of Bakayoko's general ability is quite low and my suspicion is that he might eventually prove to be something like another Gnahoua - an average player benefitting from being introduced deep into the second half when we're either chasing a result or comfortably on top - but he keeps scoring and I can't criticise that. Long may it continue.
As harsh as it sounds, I think most would tend to agree with that. Outside of the box his link up play generally leaves a lot to be desired, but he seems to have an uncanny knack of finding space in the box - all of his goals this season have come <12 yards out.

His pace and strength are also a handy asset to have off the bench against tiring defenders.
There's some nice things said about Baka here. Bloke putting ball in net is the least of our problems...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:15 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:

He’s quick, tall and gets in good positions. I just wish he was a bit more natural. He’s be an absolutely superb player. It’s in between his ears I suspect that holds him back.
I'd take offence at that. Take his goals away and where would we be?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:29 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
There can't be many clubs that have scored more late goals than we have this season; it's a really good habit to have.
The only ones near us are the noisy neighbours. And Oxford, who appear to give zero figs.
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 22.26.56.png
Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 22.26.56.png (384.97 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
Pity we've been so cack at the opposite end of the 90. Nobody's conceded more in the first 15...

All the teams above us in the Real Table have scored more than they've conceded in both halves. Probably not a coincidence.
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:31 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

This, Tango. There's folks here that forget how to fcking count where the points came from.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:14 pm

Bakayoko's goals have been invaluable this season. I find it a bit odd that he gets criticism for his work outside the box not being great when people defended Doyle's limitations based on his goal return. Baka's minutes-per-goal is much better Doyle's was, so presumably that should work in Baka's favour when we evaluate him.

We're also talking about a player who hasn't had a full run at things due to injuries. All in all I feel like he's contributing a lot more than I expected him to and I'm really pleased with the signing.

There are things I'd like him to be better at, but we are in League One and I like him at this level.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:30 pm

We're Bolton. Someone gotta be a bit shit, even when they're not. There were "expectations" on him before Jan. Now he's started cashing in, still a bit shit. It's incredible. Dunno what people are seeing..maybe too much Twitter.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:37 pm

There are folk on here who would slam Gary Lineker for his lack of contribution. It's laughable really.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:07 am

Today's highlights can be found HERE.

Their goalkeeper's save from Dapo's header is incredible.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:13 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:07 am

URL didn’t work, Nicko - think I’ve fixed it above

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:18 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:13 am
nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 12:07 am

URL didn’t work, Nicko - think I’ve fixed it above

So it didn't. Thanks for correcting.

knobpolisher
Reliable
Reliable

Post by knobpolisher » Sun Mar 20, 2022 8:45 am

Hmm, I also now notice that when the teams are listed alphabetically eight of the last nine teams are above us in the league. If we had changed our name to Wanderers of Bolton we would have walked this league.
People haven't got a good word for you, but i have T**T.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:01 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 11:37 pm
There are folk on here who would slam Gary Lineker for his lack of contribution. It's laughable really.
Indeed Bruce. See, this is where the object of the game, to win by scoring one goal more than the opposition, something that applies the same for Bournemouth or Brazil, gets confused with Youtube videos of Roberto Carlos free kicks and memories of times past and days of glory. It's Crewe and Morecambe folks, not City and United, and right now, Bakayoko is the hero of the hour. Give the man his due.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:43 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 10:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
GhostoftheBok wrote:

I’m not talking goals. He’s hit a purple patch of goals. But looks better off the bench. The discussion is about why he seems to struggle in games starting but also the fact that given he’s scoring goals you’d expect him to be first pick. But it’s his all round game that for me holds him back. But not that he’s not got the ability. He just seems to lack a football brain especially in build up play.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:03 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 4:43 pm

I’m not talking goals. He’s hit a purple patch of goals. But looks better off the bench. The discussion is about why he seems to struggle in games starting but also the fact that given he’s scoring goals you’d expect him to be first pick. But it’s his all round game that for me holds him back. But not that he’s not got the ability. He just seems to lack a football brain especially in build up play.
Your discussion? You're losing credibility Insaney. Charles, Bodvarson, Kachunga, Ameichi, Dapo even. Who do you suggest leaving out? 'Im pretty sure I.E is more than happy to have a goal-scoring sub like Baka. Seems a pretty good scenario to have? What exactly is a football brain lacking in a man who scores half-a-dozen goals and keeps us in the hunt all by himself. He's a fox in the box, pure and simple. You don't hire an accountant to drive a fork-lift-truck.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:04 pm

How can you not talk goals, for a striker? It's a bit like only talking attacking attributes in defenders...

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:47 pm

As an aside, Baka's started in 12. Scored half his league goals as a starter. Of those 12, we won 6 and drew 2 (better ppg than our current league average). The 4 we Lost were Wigan, Plymouth (A), Wycombe (A) and Burton (A)...all matches where every bugger struggled - don't recall great service into the front men in those games, generally.