Phil Brown

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Phil Brown

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am

Just like to wish Browny all the best at Barrow. I met Phil on a couple of occasions when he was assistant to Colin Todd. He came across as a very engaging character who loved Bolton Wanderers to bits. He didn't manage BWFC for very long but did have an excellent win percentage when he did. I, for one, was sad to see him leave for Derby where things didn't work out for him.
Last edited by Gudnib on Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Phil Brown

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 am

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am
Just like to wish Brownie all the best at Barrow. I met Phil on a couple of occasions when he was assistant to Colin Todd. He came across as a very engaging character who loved Bolton Wanderers to bits. He didn't manage BWFC for very long but did have an excellent win percentage when he did and I, for one, was sad to see him leave for Derby where things didn't work out for him.
On the occasion on which I met him, he was a drunken, boorish, loud-mouthed prick, making a fool of himself in an Indian restaurant in an attempt to show off by giving it the big 'I am' in front of Stuart Storer.

I do still have this mildly amusing vision of him turning to Youri Djorkaeff on the training ground and saying "Right, Youri - this is how we used to do it at Halifax" :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 23, 2022 12:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 am

On the occasion on which I met him, he was a drunken, boorish, loud-mouthed prick, making a fool of himself in an Indian restaurant in an attempt to show off by giving it the big 'I am' in front of Stuart Storer.
Did he make the waiters sit in a circle whilst he lectured them on papadums? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:00 pm

There was a time when Brown was no2 at Bolton that I thought he would be the natural succesor and become an effective manager here as he was a good coach. Like a lot of other very good coaches management didn't quite work out for him though he did have some good spells. I wish him well and hope he finds a measure of success in his new role.
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Gudnib
Promising
Promising

Post by Gudnib » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:41 am
Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 9:31 am
Just like to wish Brownie all the best at Barrow. I met Phil on a couple of occasions when he was assistant to Colin Todd. He came across as a very engaging character who loved Bolton Wanderers to bits. He didn't manage BWFC for very long but did have an excellent win percentage when he did and I, for one, was sad to see him leave for Derby where things didn't work out for him.

I do still have this mildly amusing vision of him turning to Youri Djorkaeff on the training ground and saying "Right, Youri - this is how we used to do it at Halifax" :)
Sorry to hear that Bruce. Its not very difficult for me to imagine Brownie getting high-spirited after imbibing a few noggins but that wasn't my experience. One of the times I met him was at a charity golf day at Morecambe supported/attended by Brownie, Alan Thompson and Mark Seagraves. He was just very good company and not in the least 'the big I am'.

Brownie was, of course, an important part of Bruce Rioch's team that rejuvenated Bolton Wanderers and provided some of the most memorable and enjoyable times watching the team in the seventy years I have been a supporter.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:55 pm

Gudnib wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 1:33 pm

Sorry to hear that Bruce. Its not very difficult for me to imagine Brownie getting high-spirited after imbibing a few noggins but that wasn't my experience. One of the times I met him was at a charity golf day at Morecambe supported/attended by Brownie, Alan Thompson and Mark Seagraves. He was just very good company and not in the least 'the big I am'.
Oh, indeed. On the occasion I met Amir Khan in one of the suites at The Reebok, he came across as being one of the most polite, affable, sincere young men I think I've ever met. However, there appears to be plenty who'll readily claim otherwise.

That said, there does seem to be a pathetically sad custom amongst many Boltonians whereby they cannot ever seem to denigrate the reputations of the town's successful offspring quite severely enough.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:51 pm

Never met Browny, but I've heard him through the wall.

One time I was interviewing Allardyce in his office about his favourite subject - himself - and there came a commotion from behind an adjoining door, as if Tigger had been suckling on the espresso machine. "Wair's the gaffa?" came the top-volume question, answered quietly by the sec. Sam stopped for a moment, rolled his eyes and said simply "Browny. He'll be wanting his usual game of head tennis."

There's not many players who represent the Wanderers in 256 league games (from a possible 276, which is hand hardiness), becoming captain, coach and (caretaker) manager too. Also had the good sense to be around at a couple of good periods for the club. And when he became a manager he tried to mix Allardycian organisation with Riochian flair, and good God that'd be a combo. He couldn't carry it off, but then who can?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Mar 23, 2022 8:27 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:51 pm
Never met Browny, but I've heard him through the wall.

One time I was interviewing Allardyce in his office about his favourite subject - himself - and there came a commotion from behind an adjoining door, as if Tigger had been suckling on the espresso machine. "Wair's the gaffa?" came the top-volume question, answered quietly by the sec. Sam stopped for a moment, rolled his eyes and said simply "Browny. He'll be wanting his usual game of head tennis."

There's not many players who represent the Wanderers in 256 league games (from a possible 276, which is hand hardiness), becoming captain, coach and (caretaker) manager too. Also had the good sense to be around at a couple of good periods for the club. And when he became a manager he tried to mix Allardycian organisation with Riochian flair, and good God that'd be a combo. He couldn't carry it off, but then who can?
He did well at Hull. You could argue Big Sam well. Considering. He took them into the top flight and kept them there from absolutely nowhere.