High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Mar
Icon
Icon

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:38 am
We had a better defence last season than this. Or second half last season. I don’t think it’s improved with the recruitment, yes Baps obviously is now past it so needed replacing but we haven’t improved.
Don't think the standard is comparable enough to say we had a better defence last season compared to this. The players we've got now are up against a tougher standard of opposition. Take Wheater and Beevers for example, great defensive pairing for L1 but the championship was a massive struggle, the same could likely be said about our progression from L2 to L1.

If we're going purely off stats and clean sheets between this and last season then the stats would suggest we've got a defence that concedes more.

It's arguable though that we have a better set of prospects for the future. Aimson is 28, John 26, Santos 26, Johnston 23, Jones 26. Plenty of years left to improve that squad. Couldn't say the same for Baptiste and Gilks. Maybe though the opposite could be said we're missing the experienced bunch.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:12 pm

Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 6:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:38 am
We had a better defence last season than this. Or second half last season. I don’t think it’s improved with the recruitment, yes Baps obviously is now past it so needed replacing but we haven’t improved.
Don't think the standard is comparable enough to say we had a better defence last season compared to this. The players we've got now are up against a tougher standard of opposition. Take Wheater and Beevers for example, great defensive pairing for L1 but the championship was a massive struggle, the same could likely be said about our progression from L2 to L1.

If we're going purely off stats and clean sheets between this and last season then the stats would suggest we've got a defence that concedes more.

It's arguable though that we have a better set of prospects for the future. Aimson is 28, John 26, Santos 26, Johnston 23, Jones 26. Plenty of years left to improve that squad. Couldn't say the same for Baptiste and Gilks. Maybe though the opposite could be said we're missing the experienced bunch.
I think it's possibly a bit more marginal. Last season after 40 games we'd conceded 45. This season we've conceded 50. So is it worse? Well yes by that stat, but then when you consider we are in a Division with better teams (which we are) and that we had a much worse injury problem this year and had to play a winger at RB. Our back 4 when we got gubbed 3-0 against Plymouth was Brockbank, Baptiste, Johnston, Gordon....Wigan we started Brockbank and Gordon. That's 7 goals in the dumped column.

So overall, I think the defense has "progressed" as we're in a higher Division, but not as much as I'd have liked it to and I'd like to see better options over the summer, to strengthen.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 7:12 pm
Our back 4 when we got gubbed 3-0 against Plymouth was Brockbank, Baptiste, Johnston, Gordon
Thanks Worthy - months of therapy and I'd just started to get over that bloody night, and now I'm straight back there... :D