High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:41 pm

Good character in the second half. Got what we deserved, especially given McClean shouldn't have been on the pitch.

Still think he picked the wrong team, and the shape is wrong atm but credit to them for digging that out.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:44 pm

Happy with a point there!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:51 pm

When I predict 2-1 us, they need to deliver. Better second half, which improved tons with Dad Bod and Dempsey on. Deserved a point overall, albeit couldn't have whinged too much had we gone in 2 down at the break.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:53 pm

Dempsey made us stronger when he came on. Lifted the standard of our general play with his movement, pace and intelligence. All of a sudden, the players around him got better. Shows me that he has a very important role to play next season once he stays fit. Build the team around him. Wonderful goal by BodDad. Was it Aimson with the cross? Passing the football was definitely not his strong point today so kudos to him re the cross. Not the best of games but a good one not to lose away from home against a team at the top of the standings.

We are not far from the quality needed to go up next season. Need to get that quality in the summer and we should have a lot to be happy about in the coming year.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:30 pm
Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:28 pm
Cheers ghost, is weird (& really not helpful :)
"Ghost is weird and really not helpful" may have to be my new tagline.
erm... 8)
an important comma in there

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:09 pm

We got reward from two big lads up front and just playing simple ball up top and play from there.

Not sure I’d say we played well at any point but when you simplify the game away from trying to outplay good sides you can get rewards.

The goal was very good. The three subs made a difference. Evatt got starting line up and system completely wrong. Football is a simple game. We do try and make it harder than we need too often. Ball in box maximises your scoring chances. Targets in there also. Less precise you need to be to score the better.

BorsdaneWhite
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by BorsdaneWhite » Sat Apr 02, 2022 3:32 pm

Dad Bod made a huge difference in actually occupying those centre-backs, and being strong/tall/positionally aware enough to take down high balls and find a mon.

Thought Morley was well off the pace. He and Aimson gave it away often—and in dangerous areas, too. Then Aimson gets a lovely assist. So.

Johnston motm, for me. Didn’t let anything go and showed the requisite fight that was perhaps missing in the centre of the park. McClean was a damned sending off all day long.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:07 pm

For all the shite Marc Iles gets, or has got in the past, every time we play these lot and I happen to to catch whatever wind up post his wigan opposite pulls for the one weekend he must get his local number of interactions up, I’m glad we’ve got Iles. The other chap is a complete bell end.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:24 pm

Aye he's a prick.

Photos of McClean on crutches. Now of course you never want to see anyone injured. Oh no. But I wouldn't be against Dempsey getting a ten year contract for unrelated reasons.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:07 pm
For all the shite Marc Iles gets, or has got in the past, every time we play these lot and I happen to to catch whatever wind up post his wigan opposite pulls for the one weekend he must get his local number of interactions up, I’m glad we’ve got Iles. The other chap is a complete bell end.
He knows what he’s doing then plays the victim. Does it every time.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:08 pm

Cracking point in the end. All hail the Dad Bod. He's going to do some damage next season.

Jim_McDonuts
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Jim_McDonuts » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:13 pm

Meanwhile, the teams above us just keep on grinding out the results - pretty impressive really

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:31 pm

Jim_McDonuts wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:13 pm
Meanwhile, the teams above us just keep on grinding out the results - pretty impressive really
Somebody is going to get an impressive haul - it's looking like 80pts, maybe nudging 85 - and not even get the play-offs. Be interesting to see how they handle that. If it's Wycombe, they'll trust the process. If it's Oxford, they'll shrug their shoulders. If It's Sunderland, they'll riot.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:41 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:35 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I’m not naming him cos I get the feeling he’s scanning the web for results of himself to show to his employers how ‘controversial’ he is. But he’s a fecking tit and because he’s a bit thick with it he will get his comeuppance (maybe he’s already had it, hence he’s working for the Wigan daily). I just wish our lot would ignore him as he doesn’t deserve the time of day.

Anyway, McLean on crutches you say? Lovely stuff.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:00 pm

MJ is now looking seriously out of his depth. This was supposed to be his sort of game today. He was meant to be an enforcer in the middle, but he was nothing of the sort. It's getting to the point now where I expect him to be poor every week and he rarely sets me right. I am genuinely concerned for him. He's been a great servant in his short time here, but it doesn't look like he can play in a promotion side at the minute. Hopefully he can rally.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:02 pm

It really was a brilliant header.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:05 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 5:41 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:35 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
I’m not naming him cos I get the feeling he’s scanning the web for results of himself to show to his employers how ‘controversial’ he is. But he’s a fecking tit and because he’s a bit thick with it he will get his comeuppance (maybe he’s already had it, hence he’s working for the Wigan daily). I just wish our lot would ignore him as he doesn’t deserve the time of day.

Anyway, McLean on crutches you say? Lovely stuff.
It’s a pretty mindless chant. I’m not keen on it. But it’s embarrassing he made an issue out of it. Clearly rattled. And McClean claiming on social media that ‘he owns Bolton’. Bit embarrassing.

On another note they got a crowd of under 16 thousand today. With nearly 5000 Bolton fans there. Under 11 thousand home fans when you are close to promotion and playing a local Derby match. How humiliatingly bad is that?

It’s why Wigan just aren’t of significance. Even at their peak they can’t even bring as many fans as we’ve sold season tickets in March.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:26 pm

Just seen what McLeans stuck up. Actually shows the opposite IMO - we’ve got to him today. Still, he’ll now get the attention he craves from the muppets, and another opportunity to play victim. Works dunnit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:00 pm
MJ is now looking seriously out of his depth. This was supposed to be his sort of game today. He was meant to be an enforcer in the middle, but he was nothing of the sort. It's getting to the point now where I expect him to be poor every week and he rarely sets me right. I am genuinely concerned for him. He's been a great servant in his short time here, but it doesn't look like he can play in a promotion side at the minute. Hopefully he can rally.
He doesn’t work in this system.

Being fair though Morley was shocking today and MJ like the first half of the season was left to do it all himself at times. For the first half we had basically no presence in midfield and Wigan were all over it. The system didn’t help at all as the only advantage of 3 at the back is playing 2 up top without being outnumbered in midfield yet we took that away to seemingly shoehorn a useless Kachunga in for no reason at all.

You would struggle to find many who looked good first half. We did at least compete when we abandoned trying to play fancy football and just got two big lads to fight the centre halves. Wigan press very well. I have to say they press as well as anyone in this league. And that completely stops us playing. When we bypassed midfield and picked up the pieces we looked like we had half a chance.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:00 pm
Yes, the system we play now exposes him. He is good in a siting 2 but really struggles in a 3 when he is expected to get up the pitch and support the attack. His Achilles heel is his speed or should I say lack of it. It will be difficult for him as the higher the Division, the faster is the game. I wouldn't say he is performing poorly, but he is struggling to get a foothold in games and is way less effective than before the switch.