High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:37 pm

Clock ticking early, but little else exciting this week, so an early thread start. Spout your predictions, biases and expectations. The Pies have been having fun in the sun in Dubai. Here's a brief run down:

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/what- ... news-here/
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away to the Pies,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 28, 2022 4:38 pm

We'll shit 'em. 1-2, Whites.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:25 pm

Y'know what? I've a sneaky feeling we'll upset the piecart. I'm with Worthy on a 1-2 win.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:36 pm

My view is they haven't to score. Achieve that, we have a point. That i itself won't do either, so its got to be 2 or 3 nil to us.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am

Don’t see it myself, I’m already getting annoyed with it being built up as ‘must win’ for our ‘play off hopes’. What it needs from Evatt is a sensible no pressure rhetoric because if we defend well we have the tools to hit them on the break and snatch something. If we go gung-ho to try and win we’ll get dicked. I fear he’ll approach it that way and we’ll get we’ll and truly beaten - I’ll predict a 3-0 loss.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am
Don’t see it myself, I’m already getting annoyed with it being built up as ‘must win’ for our ‘play off hopes’. What it needs from Evatt is a sensible no pressure rhetoric because if we defend well we have the tools to hit them on the break and snatch something. If we go gung-ho to try and win we’ll get dicked. I fear he’ll approach it that way and we’ll get we’ll and truly beaten - I’ll predict a 3-0 loss.
I fear the same. Our away form is patchy at best but against the better sides, and it pains me to say it, they're easily the best side in the division, we've been largely awful.

Our recent performances there have been dreadful and played in a nasty atmosphere, so I'm staying away this time. I'll watch it through my fingers on Quest, later on instead.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:25 am

I think even my "Hope springs eternal" attitude doesn't see us making the play-offs. I just want us to get our confidence back and do the best we can. That said, we can't afford to be afraid of Wigan; they're not Barcelona or Bayern Munich, and we can still give a good account of ourselves. I want to see managers doing an Arsene Venger bucket-kicking display whilst screeching "xxxxing Bolton" as we upset their apple-carts. We can do that...

On another point, Bodvarson is playing for Iceland today against Spain. I sure hope he stays fit and ready in time for Saturday. We'll need our best eleven out for that. Baka seems to have sailed through two games quite well, and Charles through his international game too, so....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 29, 2022 11:39 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:51 am
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:37 am
I fear the same. Our away form is patchy at best but against the better sides, and it pains me to say it, they're easily the best side in the division, we've been largely awful.

Our recent performances there have been dreadful and played in a nasty atmosphere, so I'm staying away this time. I'll watch it through my fingers on Quest, later on instead.
Pretty much where I'm at.

I've never liked derbies, which I think bring out the worst in many fans (not just ours). They also have far more downside than upside, IMO; bragging rights mean nothing to me as I'm not one for gloating in a rival's face – football's too ephemeral and ever-changing for that to be a wise move - and even in victory it's more relief than joy.

And of all the teams to lose a derby to, Wigan might be the worst. Because they hate us more than we hate them; because they were non-league until the 70s; because they were the main (active) rivalry when I became a fan; because they clawed back the divisions between us; because they're now, sadly, better than us.

I might have to arrange to do something else on Saturday afternoon. I can cope with us losing – God knows I've put the 10,000 hours in – but I don't particularly want to watch it in real time. And if we do lose, I'm guessing the internet won't be the place to be. Not even, perhaps, on here...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:41 pm

Oh, ye fainthearts. Shame on ye...Is this the spirit that won the Battle of Britain, I ask? Are we doomed before we even make a charge at the pie shop? Are we afraid to get up and at em? Shall we make mockery of "Bring me my bow of burning gold! Bring me my arrows of desire!"...I'm sensing a feeling of Private Frazer here chanting "Doomed, I tell yu " , instead of an Eddie Waring "Up and under" at em attitude. "Close the wall up with our English dead" shall be the cry instead, and....

Oh well, what are forums for.. :Jedi:

:D

ae:)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 29, 2022 4:48 pm

If we have to close up the wall with our dead, it's been a particularly bad derby.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm

They're absolutely clinical. Bottom half in terms of chances created, top of the league in chances converted.

We don't defend well against good teams mainly and have been too shot shy ourselves recently.

2-0 to them
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:18 pm

We're gonna batter 'em a la Sunderland.

6-0 to us.

Four of them own goals.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:35 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm
They're absolutely clinical. Bottom half in terms of chances created, top of the league in chances converted.
That's some stat that.

It suggests to me that they may struggle when they go up a level and face better defences. Here's hoping!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:16 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 12:26 pm

We don't defend well against good teams mainly and have been too shot shy ourselves recently.

2-0 to them
What are they like on set-piece conversion, Boris? Do you know?
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am

Think I’ll be swerving the Twitter-sphere this weekend. It’s already cringeworthy.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38 am

I find that decent advice on any day, tbf.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:00 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 10:38 am
I find that decent advice on any day, tbf.
Just so. I once joined Facebook but only lasted about a month. Never been on Twitter, or any other media nonsense sites since except e-mail . Apart from dance and art related sites, The Wanderer is the only place I belong. Pretty anonymous me and happy with it..
:oops:

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:51 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 9:31 am
Think I’ll be swerving the Twitter-sphere this weekend. It’s already cringeworthy.
I had the misfortune of catching some Pie Eaters rant;

Apparently, our ground isn't in Bolton, which I'm sure will be news to the Post Office, and Wigan are a bigger club nowadays because they won the FA cup when there was colour telly.

The more I read Twitter the more stupider I become.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:56 pm

Clearly they've not spotted they're averaging under 10k per match....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Mar 31, 2022 2:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2022 1:56 pm
Clearly they've not spotted they're averaging under 10k per match....
I know! Tinpot gets. We sold that many season tickets last month. :D