High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: High Noon in Wigan. Away at the Piedrome.,Sat,-2-04-22. 12-30 kick-off.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:32 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:26 pm
Just seen what McLeans stuck up. Actually shows the opposite IMO - we’ve got to him today. Still, he’ll now get the attention he craves from the muppets, and another opportunity to play victim. Works dunnit.
This is a lad who used to tell people he was the most talented winger in the country and is now harping on about being the king of League One. He apparently needs the ego massage, so I'm inclined to just ignore him.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:35 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:32 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:26 pm
Just seen what McLeans stuck up. Actually shows the opposite IMO - we’ve got to him today. Still, he’ll now get the attention he craves from the muppets, and another opportunity to play victim. Works dunnit.
This is a lad who used to tell people he was the most talented winger in the country and is now harping on about being the king of League One. He apparently needs the ego massage, so I'm inclined to just ignore him.

The correct approach. They do these things to provoke a reaction. It's disappointing that so many (not on here but elsewhere) fall for it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:40 pm

He’s on a level with that guy from Fleetwood who’s itching to play at the biggest ground he’ll get a chance to play at. We’ll us, and Sunderland.

Charles touched the ball 7 times apparantley - what’s happened to the little terror who wouldn’t give defenders a moments peace? His mrs from the same school as delfonsos? It’s called maternity leave love, let Dion sleep in the spare room!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:48 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:40 pm
He’s on a level with that guy from Fleetwood who’s itching to play at the biggest ground he’ll get a chance to play at. We’ll us, and Sunderland.

Charles touched the ball 7 times apparantley - what’s happened to the little terror who wouldn’t give defenders a moments peace? His mrs from the same school as delfonsos? It’s called maternity leave love, let Dion sleep in the spare room!
I’m not being funny but we are probably finding out why Charles was sat in Accys ressies.

If he genuinely was consistently as good as when he started here they’d have been unable not to play him.

I’d give him leeway today as he was up on his own with no support in a completely bonkers system.

jmjhb
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jmjhb » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:14 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 7:48 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 6:40 pm

I’m not being funny but we are probably finding out why Charles was sat in Accys ressies.

If he genuinely was consistently as good as when he started here they’d have been unable not to play him.

I’d give him leeway today as he was up on his own with no support in a completely bonkers system.
Given the calibre of some of the goals he's scored, he gets plenty of leeway from me

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 03, 2022 9:24 am

Me too…I just liked how he didn’t give any defender a minutes rest. Didn’t watch yesterday but only having 7 touches doesn’t sound like Dion. I’m blaming his mrs!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 03, 2022 10:39 am

Had several looks at Wigan's goal on Youtube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lMYuFJehcs

That they were allowed to send a ball into our box totally unchallenged ( just Dapo looking lost out there) from a short corner was bad enough. To let them do it twice and almost get a second is just sheer bad defending. That would have seen us off, because we weren't going to get two back against Wigan. Good defence was their strength; they gave us no time or space but were all over us like hailstones. Lesson to be learned because soft goals is without doubt the reason we are where we are.

Dad Bod's goal came from his excellent positioning, coming in from outside the box ( a la Sam Allardyce) rather than trying to imitate a static Christmas tree angel learning to fly.Getting this lad was a good Evatt move.

Amen.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:05 am

Was shit defending for the goal, TD. Even given the fact the ball's come in, defender marking still has his man (stood about 6 inches away) should be there to win it. Instead we got yet another "how did that happen" shrug.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:23 am

Watched the highlights.

Dapo was caught between two players, if he gets tighter to prevent the cross then the ball is played to the down the right and crossed. The issue is Saddlier? runs towards the ball and not the lad on the right. Do that and Dapo can launch into the c*nt. The defending in the box is poor as no one gets a head on it and it goes straight in. It's all real quick so benefit of hind sight and all that.

That said.

Dadi, take a bow. That header is absolutely superb. Direction, strength with the glance. If it had been an inswinging cross it would be a meh, but the outswing with the smash into the far post.

10/10.

Glad of a point as when I saw 1-0 at 6 mins in work I feared the worse.

Here's something to ponder, imagine they slip into 3rd because of 2 dropped points.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:39 am

For their goal I’ve still no idea why Santos didn’t get his head on it. Was right at him. But he did have a good game compared to Johnstone and in particular Aimless. Christ they were bad.

Dapo is struggling more and more. I feel he’s a victim of being moved around in position. I also do think he’s one of those players where it’s not obvious where he should play. Off the left is his strength but then he’s one dimensional. Number 10 doesn’t seem to work. Up front he arguably can get a bit lost in games.

But yeah. I think he’s certainly dipped in recent times. To the point that plenty were asking for him to come off yesterday over Charles.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:56 am

It seems blindingly obvious to me where he should play! Off the left, he had 10 (?) by Christmas, the last 2 months of which were in a dreadful team with no midfield where he was the only threat. Right up there with the best players in the league. He's had good games here and there since the shape change, but largely looks lost.

Their goal is really poor from Sadlier. Didn't look to be well defended in the box either but I still can't work out what's gone on from the angle! Seems mad no-one touches it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:22 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:56 am
It seems blindingly obvious to me where he should play! Off the left, he had 10 (?) by Christmas, the last 2 months of which were in a dreadful team with no midfield where he was the only threat. Right up there with the best players in the league. He's had good games here and there since the shape change, but largely looks lost.

Their goal is really poor from Sadlier. Didn't look to be well defended in the box either but I still can't work out what's gone on from the angle! Seems mad no-one touches it.
To me though teams worked him out in that position and nullified him by stopping him cutting inside. Then what does he do? He doesn’t threaten the outside. It’s why for me he’s not going to play at the top end of the championship as he doesn’t have that real acceleration to become very hard to play against. Block the middle and he’s a bit one dimensional. In theory the number ten should be made for him but as was astute,y pointed out by some wag in the crowd yesterday to play that role he needs to be ‘less of a greedy get’. And that’s the nutshell. He wants too many touches for it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:22 pm

Did Sadlier play wing back again?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 12:22 pm
Did Sadlier play wing back again?
Yep. Tried hard. But he’s never a wing back in a million years.

He’s another player who I’m not quite sure what he is tbh, good feet. Tidy player. But again never threatens the outside.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:13 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

To me though teams worked him out in that position and nullified him by stopping him cutting inside. Then what does he do? He doesn’t threaten the outside. It’s why for me he’s not going to play at the top end of the championship as he doesn’t have that real acceleration to become very hard to play against. Block the middle and he’s a bit one dimensional. In theory the number ten should be made for him but as was astute,y pointed out by some wag in the crowd yesterday to play that role he needs to be ‘less of a greedy get’. And that’s the nutshell. He wants too many touches for it.
They "worked him out" but doubling and trippling up on him. They could do that because there was no other attacking threat. It was very much stop Dapo and you stop Bolton from October on.

There's a proper player in Sadlier but he's a winger and never a wing back in a million years. Another square peg round hole job.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:59 pm

Magennis. I’m actually embarrassed for him the fat workshy c*nt. He didn’t even touch it and he’s celebrating like the World Cup final.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:45 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 2:13 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

They "worked him out" but doubling and trippling up on him. They could do that because there was no other attacking threat. It was very much stop Dapo and you stop Bolton from October on.

There's a proper player in Sadlier but he's a winger and never a wing back in a million years. Another square peg round hole job.
Don’t disagree. I’m just not as convinced that he will replicate his form there as I think sides are onto him.

I think he needs a freer role in the middle to drift around. For me his best game for us was against Sunderland where he played left sided striker but was free to drift around. Thought he was outstanding that day and looked most natural.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:43 pm

From what I've seen, M.J. was both slow to react and too easily muscled off the ball. I'm no authority on him, but thought he was better than this; what happened?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:53 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 7:43 pm
From what I've seen, M.J. was both slow to react and too easily muscled off the ball. I'm no authority on him, but thought he was better than this; what happened?
This is the issue with saying "he just doesn't suit the system." That's 100% true, but he's also taking woeful touches, not reading tackles come in on him and getting bullied.

He's miles off it right now and we need to see a lot more from him.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:35 am

For some reason this forum has stopped working on my phone, so I had assumed it was down for the last few days. Must be an issue on my end.

Anyway, as lots of people have already pointed out, it was a bizarre decision to play a wing backs system when we didn't have any wing backs available. Evatt is getting most things right, but this was an obvious error and put us at an immediate disadvantage on Saturday.

For next season we're clearly not miles off where we need to be to get promotion, but at the same time there are still enough personnel issues that we need another good window if we're going to be where Wigan and Rotherham are now.

Kachunga doesn't show enough to merit us keeping him around for next season, in my opinion. I'd guess he's on decent wages as well, so I'd look to move him on in the summer.

Dempsey should be a starter week-in-week-out going forward. He made a big difference when he came on this weekend, and bar his first couple of games here I think has shown he is already one of our best midfielders.

As others have noted, MJ and Aimson both look as though they may be too limited to be starters in a top end League One team. I don't think we should be looking to move either on, but I would be disappointed if they're regularly making the starting lineup come August.