Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:58 am

Slightly concerned we might fall apart if we persist with the current formation/tactics without Santos. It needs a basic 4 at the back - defenders concentrating on defending - and use the wide men we have further up the field. Aimson was ok defensively once he settled but he’s no Santos with the ball at his feet.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:21 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 pm
Thought fair result overall. Not sure pace was the main problem going forwards, thought we didn't get behind them much, but lost count of the number of times we pulled back from near the byline when the option to cross from behind them existed, looking to try and weave something from the edge. Felt it needed mixing up a bit.

As others say, feels a bit short of nailed on top 6, and a way off automatics. Work to do in summer. When Santos went off defensively, an omnishambles, Aimson didn't have his head in any sort of right place for a good 10-15 mins although he calmed a bit, and he can't play the type of game Evatt wants. I think we need a couple of decent CHs (still)
Part of what Fossey added was the direct nature to his play. Down the outside and get the cross in. For me we have too many who only want to work it back inside. Pace, power, direct players are what I think we lack. Balance feels like we’ve got too many ‘fiddlers’ not enough with real ‘ooomph’. To try and put it differently.
Yeah, I getcha, but it struck me last night, as it has on previous occasions, that in some situations the player could've hit the byline (so nowt specific to pace and power) but the "plan" wasn't to do that, so we play some neat triangles round the corner of the area, by which time there's a bank of defenders all facing us and the ball. I guess where I'm at is it feels as much "plan" as it is pace and power.

Flossie breaks that down as he's sometimes that far in front of the folks for the inside ball to the edge of the pengy, that the option isn't there yet. So he's either got to wait or cross it. When the option is there, I think he also uses that pattern, which is why in his early games we saw him, Dapo and Gethin all falling over each other about 2 yards apart.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:41 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Thought fair result overall. Not sure pace was the main problem going forwards, thought we didn't get behind them much, but lost count of the number of times we pulled back from near the byline when the option to cross from behind them existed, looking to try and weave something from the edge. Felt it needed mixing up a bit.

As others say, feels a bit short of nailed on top 6, and a way off automatics. Work to do in summer. When Santos went off defensively, an omnishambles, Aimson didn't have his head in any sort of right place for a good 10-15 mins although he calmed a bit, and he can't play the type of game Evatt wants. I think we need a couple of decent CHs (still)
Part of what Fossey added was the direct nature to his play. Down the outside and get the cross in. For me we have too many who only want to work it back inside. Pace, power, direct players are what I think we lack. Balance feels like we’ve got too many ‘fiddlers’ not enough with real ‘ooomph’. To try and put it differently.
Yeah, I getcha, but it struck me last night, as it has on previous occasions, that in some situations the player could've hit the byline (so nowt specific to pace and power) but the "plan" wasn't to do that, so we play some neat triangles round the corner of the area, by which time there's a bank of defenders all facing us and the ball. I guess where I'm at is it feels as much "plan" as it is pace and power.

Flossie breaks that down as he's sometimes that far in front of the folks for the inside ball to the edge of the pengy, that the option isn't there yet. So he's either got to wait or cross it. When the option is there, I think he also uses that pattern, which is why in his early games we saw him, Dapo and Gethin all falling over each other about 2 yards apart.
I think it’s about the sort of players we recruit. We saw Fossey do it and clearly it worked. But we sign these technically sound players who aren’t really wide men and then it comes back because they are comfortable on the ball but less happy to really threaten the full backs down the outside and whip it in.

The best side I’ve seen was that Bayern side that had Robben in his pomp before Guardiola went there and they had that pace and directness and were so hard to play against. They stretched teams. And their wide men went in and outside. And had pace to burn. And were direct. They won the champions league. Which Guardiola couldn’t replicate. And I feel we have too many Man City like players and not enough Liverpool like ones. It’s about the direct edge. I like Sadlier and John but as wing backs neither really offer the thrust we need. Both are technically good. But require the team to make the space for them. We aren’t good enough for that so end up playing a lot of those booming switch 50 yard balls to try and open up space. They come off occasionally. Fossey let us play the closer triangles as he’d more often than not receive it on the run and keep going.

We need more players like that and less who back themselves to keep the ball rather than commit.

beer_swiller
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by beer_swiller » Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:51 am

I think the overall performance was a tad bland but a fair result. I'm not sure if that will be the last we've seen of Santos and Dapo.

I think we have found our level in this league, I doubt with this current squad we could have gained promotion, a play off place was a bridge too far. With a few correct addirions to next seasons squad we could have a decent chance to go one level higher. We have the season tickets in advance, lets hope the club live up to our expectations.
Denn

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Apr 06, 2022 11:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:41 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:15 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

I think it’s about the sort of players we recruit. We saw Fossey do it and clearly it worked. But we sign these technically sound players who aren’t really wide men and then it comes back because they are comfortable on the ball but less happy to really threaten the full backs down the outside and whip it in.

The best side I’ve seen was that Bayern side that had Robben in his pomp before Guardiola went there and they had that pace and directness and were so hard to play against. They stretched teams. And their wide men went in and outside. And had pace to burn. And were direct. They won the champions league. Which Guardiola couldn’t replicate. And I feel we have too many Man City like players and not enough Liverpool like ones. It’s about the direct edge. I like Sadlier and John but as wing backs neither really offer the thrust we need. Both are technically good. But require the team to make the space for them. We aren’t good enough for that so end up playing a lot of those booming switch 50 yard balls to try and open up space. They come off occasionally. Fossey let us play the closer triangles as he’d more often than not receive it on the run and keep going.

We need more players like that and less who back themselves to keep the ball rather than commit.
Don't disagree particularly with this. The only real question I have is how much we're doing stuff (not threatening the outside) by design vs player capability. We're not going to make Gethin into Fossey but I don't doubt for one minute that he couldn't get to the byline and cross more than is currently the case.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:15 pm

^^I think it’s the players more than instruction. We saw us with Fossey play a bit differently with more balance. So sure Evatt knows it. The problem is that Fossey was not only very good at that sort of game he was also technically very good too. For league one. Evatt has to balance us out. Sarce was less technically good but offered drive and thrust through the middle. We don’t have that in the middle or down the sides for me and it makes us more one dimensional. You need more technical players but can’t fill a team with them. Unless you are Man City etc…

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 06, 2022 5:38 pm

It's absolutely instruction. It's "modern football". You don't score many goals from wanging crosses into the box against set defences. You get them from first time crosses from the byeline (and from having the ball in the "10" position). So if you don't get there down one side, you come back and recycle.

Fossey had the pace to get into those and cross early. But when he didn't he came back and recycled too.

They all do it, all of the time. It's not accidental because of the kind of player we've bought, it's the patterns of play they're coached.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Apr 09, 2022 12:00 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:26 am
Said before that I suspect playing LWB for us and Rotherham are two different propositions. I don't think Sadlier's going to complain, especially short-term. Whether he's a good fit there is a different matter, but I don't worry that he'll Slap In A Transfer Request.
Confirmed by Sadlier:
The styles of play are quite different, I think everybody knows that. We play out from the back here and take risks with the ball. Growing up, I have always liked to play that way so it suits me more. Playing wing-back here, people will say you are playing the same position but it is a completely different style of play. You can see I am getting the ball a lot to my feet, I rarely get it around my head. I enjoy it, I just focus on my own football and my own career.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... xt-season/
It is different to what I have played before. I played wing-back at my previous club and it is very different because of the different styles of play. I get a lot of the ball here, and to feet. I can link up and move around. Today [v Pompey], obviously I stayed wide. That was our gameplan and to give the lads in the middle some space and pockets to play, which worked well at times. I have got a licence to kind of move around and find pockets. I have played in the 10 here and can play as a winger as well. It's good, I can get on the ball a lot. I think in the first half, I got on the ball more. It allows me to cross, link up, shoot. Since I’ve come here, I have loved playing and I am loving my football again. Wherever (Evatt) puts me, I will play.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/2 ... wanderers/