Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:57 pm

If Santos stays on the pitch we win that game. If the play-offs push wasn't dead before it 100% is now, but I'm fine with it. Two games against top sides and two draws with some tenacity shown. It's okay.

Plenty to do in the summer.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:57 pm

Season over for both sides in a 1-1 draw.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:58 pm

I wonder if the knowledge of nothing to play for is foremost in some of the players minds? Either that or maybe fatigue is finally starting to have an effect?
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 05, 2022 9:59 pm

Done well to dig in and get a point.
Missed Santos big time second half.

Still plenty to do to become a force for next season IMO - MJ substitution was essential which meant we couldn’t get Baka on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:01 pm

MJ was very good when he came on. Overall I feel we lack pace and width without Fossey. I think we lack power and pace in this side and that needs fixing for next season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:07 pm

Curious as to what happened with santos - Aimson did not look ready to be on that pitch and it cost us the free kick for the goal and he nearly got booked twice. Settled into it in the end. Dapo seemed innocuous as well, I’d be guessing he might miss the run in now…which isn’t the end of the world - it might help us sort this formation out.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:11 pm

Fossey improved us and we were always going to look worse after his injury. We don't have another right wing back in the squad. Pace and energy are really important, but the reality is that if you put a square peg in a round hole you'll usually look worse regardless of what qualities you've lost.

We do need to add various qualities to the 11 over the summer, but we also need a better, more resilient squad. We are really light across the defence.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 pm

Thought fair result overall. Not sure pace was the main problem going forwards, thought we didn't get behind them much, but lost count of the number of times we pulled back from near the byline when the option to cross from behind them existed, looking to try and weave something from the edge. Felt it needed mixing up a bit.

As others say, feels a bit short of nailed on top 6, and a way off automatics. Work to do in summer. When Santos went off defensively, an omnishambles, Aimson didn't have his head in any sort of right place for a good 10-15 mins although he calmed a bit, and he can't play the type of game Evatt wants. I think we need a couple of decent CHs (still)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:21 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 pm
Thought fair result overall. Not sure pace was the main problem going forwards, thought we didn't get behind them much, but lost count of the number of times we pulled back from near the byline when the option to cross from behind them existed, looking to try and weave something from the edge. Felt it needed mixing up a bit.

As others say, feels a bit short of nailed on top 6, and a way off automatics. Work to do in summer. When Santos went off defensively, an omnishambles, Aimson didn't have his head in any sort of right place for a good 10-15 mins although he calmed a bit, and he can't play the type of game Evatt wants. I think we need a couple of decent CHs (still)
Part of what Fossey added was the direct nature to his play. Down the outside and get the cross in. For me we have too many who only want to work it back inside. Pace, power, direct players are what I think we lack. Balance feels like we’ve got too many ‘fiddlers’ not enough with real ‘ooomph’. To try and put it differently.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:30 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:15 pm
I think we need a couple of decent CHs (still)
Yeah, we need at least one who will come in and really kick us on and we need two overall for the squad.

If Santos stays he will start every game he is fit for. Johnston is an investment we will back. I think that means that, unless players leave, the right centre half spot is the one Evatt will target for proper investment. I think we'll then get a left-sided centre back in who can push Johnston, but who doesn't cost the earth.

Same goes for John, who I think we will keep backing rather than invest over the top of. It'll be a case of getting someone in who is budget-friendly who we hope can really push him and not a case of spending big to upgrade him.

Right wing back is where the money will go, I'd think. Which means it's the right side of the defensive 5 I'd anticipate being the big area to push us on next term.

What we can't do is go into a season where one injury can scupper us, not if we want to go up.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:48 pm

Rico, Dempsey and Dapo have all done their hamstrings. That could be curtains for the season for all of them then.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:48 pm

They're a decent side. Quick, accurate and incisive passing. Our passing and decision making was poor for me tonight. Pretty much confirned where we're at, at the moment.

I was very impressed with their keeper. Couple of good saves and excellent distribution.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:50 pm

Wonder if we'll hear anything about the mistakes of the referees today. For them to not spot 3 offsides in the build up is shocking. Don't think we've seen anything being done about failures of referees this season against us, but then again Mike Riley is the referee so can't imagine he's overly keen on doing us any favours.

enrdentw
Promising
Promising

Post by enrdentw » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:48 pm
They're a decent side. Quick, accurate and incisive passing. Our passing and decision making was poor for me tonight. Pretty much confirned where we're at, at the moment.

I was very impressed with their keeper. Couple of good saves and excellent distribution.
Thought exactly the same about their keeper. I won’t be surprised if we see him in the Prem in the next few seasons.

On another note, I’m sick of seeing Bodvarsson miss place a pass or fail to control the ball. Some serious work to be done there.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:39 pm

Saw some talk on here today regarding Evatt's goalkeeping blindspot. Well, he saw first hand tonight what a fully accomplished keeper looks like. I don't know who Pompey's keeper is but I thought he was absolutely flawless. Even got a hand to Sadlier's superbly well struck penalty. Not that young Trafford did owt wrong tonight, but their lad just exuded both composure and class.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:06 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 11:39 pm
Saw some talk on here today regarding Evatt's goalkeeping blindspot. Well, he saw first hand tonight what a fully accomplished keeper looks like. I don't know who Pompey's keeper is but I thought he was absolutely flawless. Even got a hand to Sadlier's superbly well struck penalty. Not that young Trafford did owt wrong tonight, but their lad just exuded both composure and class.
He’s a City loanee, like Trafford but six months older. Also Ireland’s No.1. Wonder if he’ll be mentioned in our conversations with them.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:56 am

Mar wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 10:50 pm
Wonder if we'll hear anything about the mistakes of the referees today. For them to not spot 3 offsides in the build up is shocking. Don't think we've seen anything being done about failures of referees this season against us, but then again Mike Riley is the referee so can't imagine he's overly keen on doing us any favours.
I think they'd say it wasn't a mistake. The latest idiotic tweak to the offside rule. You're not offside once a defender deliberately touches the ball. Their guy hadn't touched it until one of our defenders stretched to try to clear it.

You might say, well the fact that there Portsmouth players queuing up behind him who were offside and attacking the ball meant he has to stretch to get anything and couldn't clear it properly.

To which the response is: yes, obviously. It's an *idiotic* rule. But FIFA and their Pointlessly Dick Around With The Most Successful Game On Earth Committee to blame, not the refs.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:46 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Rico, Dempsey and Dapo have all done their hamstrings. That could be curtains for the season for all of them then.
3 in one night! I assumed MJ sub was tactical.
That doesn’t look good on the medical staff / management team to be honest - pushed too hard?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:09 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:46 am
GhostoftheBok wrote:
3 in one night! I assumed MJ sub was tactical.
That doesn’t look good on the medical staff / management team to be honest - pushed too hard?
I’ve had this feeling all season that we’ve had a higher number of muscle strains/tears than the league average. I have no medical knowledge so don’t want to be too critical, but it does feel like it’s something we should be looking at/investing in over the summer.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:36 am

Wasn't the worst performance overall - showed we're probably just below playoff level with this squad, and probably need maybe two new starters and some better quality back-ups. I expect Pompey will be towards the top of the division this time next year.

The season is definitely over for us now, so we can fire up the transfer thread!