Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:00 am

Same points level but two games in hand on us, Portsmouth sail up the Croal estuary on Tuesday to try to halt the Whites progress. We can move up above them temporarily at least if we win this, then hope they lose another. We have a tough next fixture on Saturday so nothing is easy but a win's a start. Hand out the cutlasses and stand by, Pompey ahoy...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Stand by to repel boarders. V Portsmouth at home, Tues 05-04 22. 8 O'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:51 am

It’s at the point now where results don’t matter. And I don’t say that lightly. I want us to win all the games but equally I want to see Evatt try some things out, work out who is up to it for next season and where we need to find replacements.

I think we should try going back to a back four and see what that looks like given the system doesn’t seem to suit us without natural wing backs and I still maintain the only reason it really worked was Fossey, but I do think Santos is much happier in the back three.

There are players though who arguably need to be looked at in positions a back three won’t allow. Sadlier for one. Dapo needs a change of role too. And I’d like to see Gordon again as presumably a decision needs making on him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:12 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 11:51 am
I’d like to see Gordon again as presumably a decision needs making on him.
The fact we didn't see Gordon on Saturday, Evatt preferring to play a winger out of position away to promotion favourites, suggests we might not see him again unless a plague descends.

I could be wrong - and in a three-game week we might jiggle things about (I expect Bod and Dempsey to start tomorrow, for instance) - but while I agree with your idea of testing ideas in these low-priority games, I doubt Flash tops that agenda.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:11 pm

Yes, I think Evatt made his decision on Gordon some time ago.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:13 pm

Aye, seen enough of Gordon.
I’d play 4231
Jones Aimson Santos Johnston
Dempsey Morley
Sadlier Dapo Ameachi
JDB

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:25 pm

Admiration apparently abounds for Wigan's hard press, but Pompey are even more manic – the hardest pressers in the 92, according to Opta. Another reason for Dempsey to play, probably instead of Williams. Dempsey's energy and bravery seem to be what Evatt wants.

I think I concur with Dibble's team. Let's try a back four and see how George does at LB. And let's try Amaechi, although I might play Xavier on the right - partly so as not to get a callow left side of George and Xav, but also I think he can cut in better from there and combine with the Dapster.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:13 pm
Aye, seen enough of Gordon.
I’d play 4231
Jones Aimson Santos Johnston
Dempsey Morley
Sadlier Dapo Ameachi
JDB
I'd go with that, but would play Sadlier in the middle, Dapo on the left and Charles on the right.

Edit: If Kieran Lee is actually fit I'd play him in the middle, Sadlier right and Dapo left.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
The fact we didn't see Gordon on Saturday, Evatt preferring to play a winger out of position away to promotion favourites, suggests we might not see him again unless a plague descends.

I could be wrong - and in a three-game week we might jiggle things about (I expect Bod and Dempsey to start tomorrow, for instance) - but while I agree with your idea of testing ideas in these low-priority games, I doubt Flash tops that agenda.
Whilst you are probably correct, Gordon is even less of a left wing back than he is a left back. So you know…I’m not surprised he isn’t started in that system. Wing backs tend to only work when they are best on the front foot. Often converted from wingers. I don’t think they work by converting a normal full back into one. Personally.

But the decision has probably been made and if so fine. I’d not keep him myself. But if there is a still mark over people then we should use these games to test it out. Thomason as an example is someone I think we should allow to move on in the summer. But if we wanted to give him one last shot some of these games would be suitable.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:57 pm

Front he clips I’ve seen of Gordon non league i would say he is a left wing back. He gets forward a lot! But I think he’s conscious that he’s not good enough at this level so plays safety first.

And yeah agreed with Ameachi right / Dapo left. Makes sense. Would like to see Xav get some game time before he goes, he’s exciting.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 1:54 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 12:12 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Whilst you are probably correct, Gordon is even less of a left wing back than he is a left back. So you know…I’m not surprised he isn’t started in that system. Wing backs tend to only work when they are best on the front foot. Often converted from wingers. I don’t think they work by converting a normal full back into one. Personally.

But the decision has probably been made and if so fine. I’d not keep him myself. But if there is a still mark over people then we should use these games to test it out. Thomason as an example is someone I think we should allow to move on in the summer. But if we wanted to give him one last shot some of these games would be suitable.
IMO Gordon's more of a left wingback than a left-back – he was hired when Evatt was a back-three proselytizer, having just won non-league with it - but at this level he certainly lacks the confidence and arguably the ability to propel himself forward, carrying the ball and the game to opponents. Therefore he tends to play safe, cut back inside, play backwards – the stuff we didn't like last season and wish to cut out this. He's not a terrible player in either position, just not good enough in a team looking to get to the Championship.

Thomason is a difficult one. Good player in there, and still young (two years younger than Gordon). I think he needs to be a League Two regular next season, and if he excels then we'll see. Does feel like he's bound for Rochdale sooner or later.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:06 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
It’s at the point now where results don’t matter.

Understanding your views for the future, I can't agree that results don't matter, ever. Nothing succeeds like success, confidence isn't built on losing and surely pre and mid-season is the time for experimentation if for no better reason that other teams may not/will not be the same, just like us. It's all an ever-changing scene, but winning by the odd goal is still, and always will be, the name of the game however technically perfect you are on paper. Surely the amount of soft goals we've lost games by this season alone proves that? Results always matter, always; they're what football (any sport) are about.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:09 pm

Agree with most of the above. Would be looking at the back 4, looking at Johnstone as a LB. And some others in their proper positions.

I'd go

Trafford

Geth - Santos - Aimson - Johnstone

Dempsey -Morley

Amaechi - Sadlier - Dapo

DadBod

Charles looked isolated and jaded on sat so I'd pick Dad who deserves a start.

I also don't think we've a natural 10 fit (I think Lee and Sheehan will be competing for that/we'll look at the 433 (rather than 4231).

Would like to see Sadlier get some proper game time as a winger which I think he is rather than 10, so can see an argument for a front 6 of

Dempsey - MJ - Morley

Sad - Bod - Dapo.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:05 pm

I’m also an advocate of the return to a back four due to the absence of John and Fossey.

My preferred line-up:

Trafford

Jones….Aimson….Santos….Johnston

………Dempsey……….Morley
…………………….Lee

……..Sadlier………………….Dapo
……………….Bodvarsson

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:08 pm

Can’t see Lee being risked, not when there is nothing to play for.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:32 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 2:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
It’s at the point now where results don’t matter.

Understanding your views for the future, I can't agree that results don't matter, ever. Nothing succeeds like success, confidence isn't built on losing and surely pre and mid-season is the time for experimentation if for no better reason that other teams may not/will not be the same, just like us. It's all an ever-changing scene, but winning by the odd goal is still, and always will be, the name of the game however technically perfect you are on paper. Surely the amount of soft goals we've lost games by this season alone proves that? Results always matter, always; they're what football (any sport) are about.
Sure but I’d trade 6 defeats now for 6 straight wins at the start of next season when things really matter,

I don’t want to go and lose these games, but their relevance is limited for us now. Being ready for next season is what it’s all about. In truth we’ve had relatively few finishes like this in the past couple of decades so it’s a bit odd as a Bolton fan to be comfortable mid table with little left to play for.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 04, 2022 4:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 3:32 pm
In truth we’ve had relatively few finishes like this in the past couple of decades so it’s a bit odd as a Bolton fan to be comfortable mid table with little left to play for.
Past three decades, really. The only ones in the 90s that didn't have a promotion or relegation battle to the death were 92, when Neal left, and 94, after the first Cup run. Hopefully, this is a bit like 94 - sandwiched between two promotions.

But as you say, we don't often "do" midtable season-dwindling. We finished 16th, 13th, 14th and 14th from 2008 to 2011, but in truth they were all either relegation battles or, for the last one, a charge for Europe until the wheels fell off. In 2013/14 (second season back down in the Champo) after an awful winter we finished strongly, buoyed by the Juke. Season after was the opposite: good winter under new boss Lennon, then it all went to shit as he insisted on playing a back three like his buddy Brendan. Since then: relegation, promotion, two minutes from relegation, relegation, relegation, promotion. Some club, this.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 04, 2022 6:41 pm

4-3-3 or 3-5-2....the sides of the defence are going to be issues at some stage this week regardless. 3 games in a week for Jones, as there's no cover.

Reorganise the defence from the fairly successful three to a four with Johnston out of position, or play Sadlier out of position at left wing back. Neither is ideal. I won't complain regardless, but I think Evatt will match Pompey up.

If we do shift to a 4 then my main worry will be that Williams is well off it and if he doesn't play well in that system against Pompey we well get battered. I'd probably want to avoid a system that relies on an out-of-form player as much as our 4-3-3 relies on MJ.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:13 pm

I worry a bit about playing Sadlier as LWB as I think that was one of the reasons he cited for being happy to leave Rotherham iirc.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:13 pm
I worry a bit about playing Sadlier as LWB as I think that was one of the reasons he cited for being happy to leave Rotherham iirc.
Agreed. However, we've very little choice right now if that's the system. As I say, I'd have no issue switching to a 4 and if we did Sadlier getting a go in attack would be one of the main benefits.

On a side note, does anyone know what the situation is with Senior? If we've nothing to play for in Evatt's mind it may be a chance to blood some youth and Jones may appreciate the night off at some stage.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Apr 04, 2022 9:54 pm

Think I saw Senior cited by Evatt as a player our current reserve/youth team set up has failed - he’s too good for the non league loans but not developing here. I’d love it if he could get a game or two and establish himself as an option. Don’t think he’s ever let us down, and he is Bolton through and through.